June 30th, 2010

Update: Boehner responds to Obama

House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, issued the following statement in response to President Obama's remarks in Wisconsin Wednesday.

“The President should be focused on solving the problems of the American people – stopping the leaking oil and cleaning up the Gulf, scrapping his job-killing agenda, repealing and replacing ObamaCare – instead of my choice of metaphors.

“Attacking Republicans is a lot easier than explaining to the citizens of Racine, who face 14 percent unemployment, why one in every 10 Americans in our workforce is unemployed nearly 18 months after the president’s trillion-dollar ‘stimulus’ spending bill was enacted.”

“I wasn’t minimizing the crisis America faced – I was pointing out that Washington Democrats have produced a bill that will actually kill more jobs and make the situation worse. It does nothing to reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the government mortgage companies that caused the housing and financial crisis by giving risky loans to people who couldn’t possibly pay them back. Republicans have a better solution that ends the bailouts, ends ‘too big to fail,’ and reforms Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

“The American people want leadership from the White House, not more childish partisanship.”

Related: Obama weighs in on Boehner, Barton controversies

Filed under: John Boehner • President Obama
  1. Schuler

What??? You've got to be joking! Boehner's asking the White House to stop the childish partisanship? The current assembly of Republicans are the masters of partisanship. And pray tell, what are these solutions that you claim will right the course of America?

We're all waiting... ( silence)

Ok right-wingers, time to start the whining and groaning about our socialist, marxist, fascist or whatever -ist you think President Obama is today.

June 30, 2010 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  2. Vet

Same old GOP they like to dish garbage but when the truth hit them back in the face, they squeal like pigs with lip stick.

June 30, 2010 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  3. Tony, Alabama

Once again Congressman Boehner proves he is out of touch.

Neither Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae issue or approve loans to individual consumers. The crooked banking and mortgage loan companies that are owned by the Congressman's Republican cronies determine whether loans are approved or disapproved, and of course, make money when the loans go through.

Maybe I misspoke, maybe he isn't out of touch after all...maybe he is trying to cover his tracks.

June 30, 2010 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  4. Susan in Arkansas

"Republicans have a better solution that ends the bailouts, ends 'to big to fail,' and reforms Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac."

Pray tell me, Mr. Boehner, just what exactly are these solutions? You have my undivided attention.

In the meantime, please understand that I am rather skeptical of any alledged solutions by you and your party-mates, who royally screwed up this country for eight years then have the audacity to blame the current administration for not fixing your messes ASAP. And your statement about President Obama not stopping the leaking oil in the Gulf is one of the most ridiculous comments that I have ever heard from such a highly elected official. If I was a citizen of your state, I would be embarrassed to be represented by such a fool.

June 30, 2010 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  5. vera 'k madison, tn

More from the "power of suggestion" pro himself. When will intelligent people see through all this crap?

June 30, 2010 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  6. key

He should be one to talk mister kill a ant with nuclear weapons. who jokes about nuclear weapons.

July 1, 2010 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  7. Jason A. Major

Although I don't agree with our President stooping to the level of stubborn leaders of which we heard nothing from as our country was heading into this catastrophe. I do believe someone with a megaphone should, and currently with lack of leaders in the Democrat party he's all we have. Im not ignorant of the fact that this only leads to more political posturing that leaves us disengaged and not fully represented; to which our President was suppose to change. We the people put them all in power, ultimately we have no one to blame but ourselves. J

July 1, 2010 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  8. quiet already

The prove boehner. All I havnt heard anything productive or constructive come out of you yet. Instead of helping you criticise just like your republican coligues. I haven't heard you offer any help in the gulf or any suggestions on the financial reform or health care just empty criticism.. So do you have anything? If you don't I'm not voting for you. Bye

July 1, 2010 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  9. Pkm

Get some toliet paper ready here comes bonner with his gop crap

July 1, 2010 02:30 am at 2:30 am |