July 1st, 2010

Does Obama's hair speak louder than words?

ALT TEXT President Obama's hair color may just be a barometer for his battles with Congress and all the other disasters that have landed in his lap. (PHOTO CREDIT: Erika Dimmler/CNN)

Washington (CNN) –Mr. Obama's hair, like the mane of those before him, is quickly fading to gray.

He sees it every morning in the mirror, and talks about it on the road.

Warming up the audience this week in Racine, Wisconsin, the President mused about his last visit there during his campaign.

"That's like, is that three years ago?" he asked. "I did not have as much gray hair back then."

Less than two years in office, Mr. Obama's ambitious agenda and unforseen events have weighed on his shoulders and 'dyed' his hair like a Grecian Formula job undone.

Consider the financial meltdown, and the battle over health care reform.

And no one could have imagined the massive Gulf oil crisis, which of late has been further exacerbated by bad weather.

The threat of terrorism is always hanging in the air. Will there be another underwear or Time Square bomber?

And there's Iraq and the increasingly difficult war in Afghanistan.

Instead of the proverbial Hollywood fade to black, he is fading to gray.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs likes to say that the President can "walk and chew gum at the same time," but even he can't predict if his bosses dark hair will stay in 'lock' step.

At a West Coast fundraiser in May for Senator Barbara Boxer, the President again looked in the mirror and told the audience what he saw. "I know it's been a tough 18 months, and I know, I've got more gray hair." There was laughter in the room as the President used comedy to mask the hardships of the world's most difficult job.

But there's a silver lining to the Presidents salt and pepper top, to be found in the bible. The Old Testament book of Proverbs reads, "gray hair is the crown of splendor. It is attained by a righteous life."

History will have to be the judge.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Ulf

As is said in various north countries, "Snow on the roof doesn't mean there's no fire in the stove."

July 1, 2010 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  2. once upon a horse

the only president I never saw go grey was Ronald Reagan. Whenever Obama leaves office be it 2012 or 2016 he will more than likey have aged 2 score or more, but it comes with the job. Michelle on the other hand will still look as great as ever!

July 1, 2010 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  3. phil

Mr. Obama you're doing a beautiful job! Stay encouraged

July 1, 2010 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  4. JFK

I dont envy this man. He has the toughest and most thankless job on the planet. Just look at the comments on any blog referring to him and this guy cant win. In yet he keeps going no matter what. He never lets it get to him and that is what defines a strong person. God Bless this man!

July 1, 2010 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  5. terry,va

Get out the hair dye Obummie. The kids might fall for you again. They along the the people with their hands out wanting something for nothing is you best hope to continue your socialist agenda.

July 1, 2010 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  6. Four and The Door

I'm sure it would have been much less stressful if the things he had fought so hard for actually worked like he promised.

July 1, 2010 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  7. Gil

Having the repulsive repuglican party always saying "NO" and who's main agenda is to scuttle anything and everything the man tries to do would give me gray hairs. It just makes me simmer and say, "Get rid of the two party system and the repuglicans!

July 1, 2010 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  8. oy vey az

This guy is working his fanny off for our country.

Grey hair comes with the job ... and so do all of the right wing nut cases yelling and going ape crazy all the time.

Personally, I think his hair looks particularly executive .

July 1, 2010 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  9. Fred in VA

For the record, I don't care about his hair. My viewpoint is, turn gray, turn white, turn any which way but loose. Ha ha.

Please, if you have a mind that thinks, google this phrase:

Pelosi: Unemployment Checks Fastest Way to Create Jobs

Mind-numbing.

July 1, 2010 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  10. La Piovra

The only President I've ever seen who didn't visibly age in office was Ronald Reagan, and he got senile.

July 1, 2010 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  11. Slider

I know my hair has gotten grayer since you took office, but for entirely different reasons.

July 1, 2010 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  12. Larry

I LOVE OBAMA ...

What a GREAT person to have as our president ...

Though the office grays them all ...

It is so nice to have a real AMERICAN in the White House

Thank You Mr Obama ...

July 1, 2010 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  13. Henry Miller, Libertarian, Cary, NC

He could always resign and save both the country and his hair simultaneously.

July 1, 2010 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  14. ruty

Yoy people who critize Obama Need to walk in his shoes for 1 day. Your hair would be whiter than his. He has been handed a HOLY mess that was no caused by him. Think with your head and not your foul mouth once in a while. I pray for him every night and so should all of you. We should be helping him not hindering him.

July 1, 2010 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  15. RTB

The President looks very distinguished with graying hair. His appearance is improving with age.

Not with standing, he was a handsome man before.

I know this will eat at all those nasty Republicans who can't stand the good and honorable Mr. Pres. because he is smart, and good looking.

July 1, 2010 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  16. southern cousin

I am sure he gets up every morning and blames it on Bush/Cheney, the Republicans and business people, people who pay taxes, the TEA party and all of the others that this petulant, inept, corrupt, union toady blames for the problems.

July 1, 2010 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  17. Marie MD

I am surprised that it's not grayer the way the repugs constantly go against anything and everything he says and does.
    Never mind all the pressure of the job itself.

July 1, 2010 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  18. shawna coviello

This guy is worried about his hair? Not surprising. Battle for healthcare reform? Ah, no, remember he made his own rules because he wasn't getting his way, told Senator McCain" I won the election, remenber?", today, accuses Republicans of holding up process, and blamesMcCain, but doesn't keep his promis to Az Gov and Senator Kyle to bring Natl Gaurd to boarder. He is a consistant manipulator, and quick to pass the buck,has ruined or trust in Intelligence sector, as well as the Military, has a huge ego, and has done nothing but photo ops for the Gulf crisis.that's why the mans hair is grey, God is telling him he should be a better man, not a liar and manipulator, hey, I'm sure one of his wifes 40 staff can kindly dye it for him. This is what this guy dares to talk about? We Americans, arnt as stupid as he would like to believe. He want suggestions? Have him email me, I have a few for him!

July 1, 2010 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |