July 4th, 2010

Petraeus formally assumes command in Afghanistan

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) - Gen. David Petraeus formally assumed command of NATO's International Security Assistance Force during a ceremony Sunday at the command's headquarters in Kabul.

In a speech, Petraeus said NATO's strategy in Afghanistan had not changed.

"We must help Afghan leaders develop their security forces and governance capacity so that they can, over time, take on the tasks of securing their country and see to the needs of their people," he said. "And, in performing these tasks, we clearly must pursue the insurgents relentlessly."

Petraeus said the war had reached a "critical moment."

"We must demonstrate to the Afghan people, and to the world, that al Qaeda and its network of extremist allies will not be allowed to once again establish sanctuaries in Afghanistan from which they can launch attacks on the Afghan people and on freedom-loving nations around the world," he said.

Full story

Filed under: Afghanistan • David Petraeus • issues
  1. Keith in Austin

I hope Barry and his band of Liberal bleeding heart dim wits allow Petreas to do his job!

July 4, 2010 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  2. MAC

Sorry General Petraeus, the "Post Viet Nam Democrats" will not let you win in Afganistan. They will tie your hands behind your back to stop you from doing the military job of killing the enemy. I saw that in my 20 years of military service.

July 4, 2010 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  3. JonDie

Too bad it's a lost cause.

But Petraeus actually convinced most Americans that the 50,000+ needlessly dead or wounded U.S. soldiers in Iraq, along with the trillion dollars of debt the American people incurred in Iraq for the benefit of the corporations, was a "victory."

So seriously, he may be the one to convince us that our loss in Afghanistan is really another "victory." My hat's off to him.

July 4, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  4. Keith in Austin

Memo from Barry Obama to all Taliban and Al Queda Personnel: We're leaving in one short year! After that, we'll fight you on American soil!

Later Dudes! I've got a re-election to worry about.

July 4, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  5. Annie, Atlanta

Nothing like putting a known warmonger in charge. Oh yeah! Where are we going to get the money when there isn't even enough to fund unemployment insurance? Maybe we need to re-prioritize?

July 4, 2010 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  6. TXInti

No disrepect to the military, but the real reason we're there are the mineral resources that are beneath the ground. Afghanastan is a country defined by lines that were established by western powers imposing nation building, as we're attempting to do now. If I was a native to the land and I discovered that my homeland was about to be pilliged by foreign countries, I'm sure I'd try to take a stand for the way of life I knew. Our approach to the world has been about locating the finite resources that power our way of life, and as long as we have the gun and the bomb, we'll continue to do as we've done.

July 4, 2010 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  7. dem

Yet no one asked W why he took his eye off the ball in Afhanistan .

July 4, 2010 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  8. Donnatella

I have big respect for General Petraeus, he stepped up to the plate to insure that our troops know that all of their hard work is not in vain. I hope somehow we can get out of this war quickly, I do feel better with Petraeus as the top commander, unlike McChrystal he respects the commander and chief regardless of how he may feel about his policies.

July 4, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  9. Get A Grip

Good luck General Petraeus because you'll need it dealing with this group that coined the phase for you....."General Betray Us"

July 4, 2010 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  10. Ancient Texan

Like MAC, I see the anti-war democrats having their way and we'll expierence another Viet Nam ending. Politics getting involved in a military operation is recipe for disaster.

July 4, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |