July 6th, 2010

Levi Johnston apologizes to Palin family

Levi Johnston apologized to the Palin family on Tuesday.
Levi Johnston apologized to the Palin family on Tuesday.

(CNN) – Bristol Palin’s former fiance publicly apologized to her family Tuesday in a statement to PEOPLE magazine, saying that some of his comments about the Palin family made in the wake of the 2008 presidential campaign are not totally true.

Levi Johnston, the father of Bristol’s son, Tripp, was thrust into the spotlight when former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin was chosen to be the 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate.

But his relationship with the Palin family became strained after his engagement to Bristol ended, and he embarked on a series of high-profile media interviews in which he criticized the Palin family.

Now, Johnston appears to be trying to mend the relationship.

"Last year, after Bristol and I broke up, I was unhappy and a little angry. Unfortunately, against my better judgment, I publicly said things about the Palins that were not completely true," Johnston told CNN’s sister publication PEOPLE Magazine. "I have already privately apologized to Todd and Sarah. Since my statements were public, I owe it to the Palins to publicly apologize."

During the GOP's 2008 national convention in Minneapolis, Palin revealed that Bristol, then 17 years old, was pregnant with Johnston's baby and the two had plans to marry.

Following the election, Johnston appeared in Playgirl Magazine, and said on “The Tyra Banks Show” that he and Bristol had been allowed to live together, a charge the Palin camp denied.

Filed under: Extra • Levi Johnston • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Roscoe

I'm still waiting for an apology from the whole Palin clan. What a pile of rubish they are. Maybe Sarah's got a special edition Jerry Springer show episode in the works...cha-ching

July 7, 2010 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  2. The Truth, Please...I Just Want The Truth

Now that Levi Johnson has apologized to the Palin family for his comments...it's time for Sarah Palin to apologize to our President for the outragious ands slanderous comments that she has made about HIM...

Death Panels...Palling around with terrorists...etc.

I want to hear an apology from Sarah!

July 7, 2010 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  3. JT

Good man, Levi. You dissed a couple of great folks who didn't deserve it. You fell into the liberals' hands, and after they took you for a ride, they dumped you. You'll be blessed for your actions.

July 7, 2010 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  4. Richard Komi

Nothing good comes out of anger. We should hold our tongue when we have anger in our minds. An apology is proper as the johnston family and the Palins will continue to have a relationship because of Tripp. Who knows Tripp can in the future bring mom and Dad together. Remember they are high school sweet hearts.

July 7, 2010 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  5. Linda

I am so tired of hearing about the Palin family. They are not an example of the ideal America family. Please let them fade away and let's talk about important national issues instead.

July 7, 2010 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  6. 60s survivor

perhaps this soap opera should be called "the guiding blight" to replace the now ended guiding light. lol. who knows might be another money maker for the palin's!

July 7, 2010 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  7. Bob of Lompoc

Chicken bleep sissy! Running scared. Cash has run out. The Palins are ignoranat trash, with no place in the political batting order of the world of today. They make Senators Jeff Sessions of AL and Mitchell McConnell of KY and Congressman John Boehner of OH look like well mannered mental giants, by comparison.

July 7, 2010 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  8. Ready for 2012

Does anybody really care about the truth anymore? I wonder if Bristol is forcing him to do this under the threat of denying him his visitation rights with his son?

I don't know, the whole thing sounds fishy to me.

July 7, 2010 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  9. Mike in San Antonio

Possibly he's growing up...or else he's just run out of his ride on the fame train and wants to get back in the good graces. Who knows.

July 7, 2010 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  10. Get A Grip

Would this little creep just go away and stop wasting our time.

July 7, 2010 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  11. MISSY

Sounds like he has been threatened to me.

July 7, 2010 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  12. Jim

The boy is starting to grow up.

July 7, 2010 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  13. single mom

Okay, now that he's apologized, I'd love to see apologies from all those who used his words to bash Gov. Palin and her family. What's that I'm hearing? crickets – about what I thought.

July 7, 2010 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  14. Jeepers

I wonder how much they paid him to retract his "not complete truths."

July 7, 2010 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  15. Bill

I feel greatly relieved. I was deeply concerned about Levi Johnston and his relationship with the Palin family.

July 7, 2010 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  16. twinsdad

I'm wondering was it the Palin Koolade or $$$ to influence this boy's mind change?

July 7, 2010 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  17. Jess C

Don't believe this one bit; he "apologized" just so he can get back with his baby mommy. All a good show; nothing more. I'm sure what he said back then was likely true.

July 7, 2010 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  18. Fed Up

Is your money running out Levi, or is someone paying you to cozy up to them again? Sorry, but if I was Bristol, I would tell you to get lost in no uncertain terms.

July 7, 2010 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  19. Observer

McCain and Palin proudly marched this loser in front of the world at the Republican Convention. He was then given bad reviews by the national media who were then trashed by Palin. Poetic justice.

July 7, 2010 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  20. Elektra

Is the queen happy now. Did she fierce you Levi, sounds like so

July 7, 2010 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  21. Paul

Unfortunately, an apology now does not take away from the fact that he is still a jackass. And just wait and see how little coverage his apology gets versus the coverage his now baseless accusations got in the mainstream media way back when. He should just crawl back under the rock from where he came and return to his life as a slug.

July 7, 2010 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  22. Bertina

I must say I'm not a Sarah Palin fan, but, I'm glad to see Levi apologize. I think the whole mess is because of politics and media. These 2 young people were thrust into the spotlight, and, the whole country was watching. I'm sure this type of thing was not their usual activities in life. I wish them the best. They have a little guy that deserves a mom and dad who get along. Good luck to them.

July 7, 2010 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  23. Aaron

Someone must have thrown some financial aid his way to make him play nice now.

July 7, 2010 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  24. Tom from Ohio

I knew it! Palin 2012!

July 7, 2010 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  25. Susan

Levi did the right thing. After all he needs to feed himself after his Hollywood gig failed.

Now lick Sarah's boots. Now.

July 7, 2010 01:26 am at 1:26 am |