July 7th, 2010

GOP touts new poll showing fading Obama support

Washington (CNN) – Some national Republicans Wednesday morning are touting a new Gallup poll that indicates a further erosion of independent support for President Barack Obama.

According to the Gallup survey, 38 percent of independent voters approve of the job Obama's doing in the White House, down 18 points from last July. Gallup notes that this is the first time the president's approval rating among independents has dropped below 40 percent.

The survey also notes that among Democrats, Obama's approval rating stands at 81 percent, while only 12 percent of Republicans give the president a thumbs up.

Both the Republican National Committee and the National Republican Congressional Committee sent out emails Wednesday morning linking to news reports of the new survey.

The Gallup poll was conducted June 28-July 3, with 3,055 adults questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus two percentage points and plus or minus four percentage points for questioned asked only to independent voters.

Filed under: GOP • independents • Poll • Popular Posts
  1. actionsauce

Obama is not what I thought he was.
    He shows his inexperience and lack of political savy almost daily now.
    Gee, I am wish Hillary had been elected.
    I voted for Obama, but now I wish I hadn't.
    Him and his cabinet are too focused on the media and the polls.
    Now his administration has made a critical political error with the immigration policy.
    I at one time thought that he had a clear and dedicated vision for our country.
    Now it is more apparent to me that he doesn't have a clue what he is doing.
    And to think that I gave money to, made phone calls for, and voted for him.
    We were duped, all of us, into electing this moron!

July 7, 2010 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  2. cjr

oh right – who in their right mind would vote republican after the mess they made of the country!

July 7, 2010 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  3. Founding father

Seems socialism is falling out of favor.

July 7, 2010 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  4. geecee

This isn't unexpected. The economy and jobs reports are not improving all that much and the incumbent usually gets blamed for it, whether or not it is his fault. He isn't up for re-election until Nov. 2012 so let's not get too excited there, Repugnantcants.

July 7, 2010 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  5. Michael

America is finally realizing that Obama has NO LEADERSHIP and his administration offers NO CREDITABILITY.

July 7, 2010 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  6. once upon a horse

anything to get the public's mind off of Barton, Boehner, and Steele's latest boo-boos. That only 12% of GOPErs support the president is NOT news. We can tell that by them saying NO to everything he tries top do.

July 7, 2010 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  7. Luis Vazquez

Yes we can take our country back. We made a huge mistake when we elected Obama as our Potus. We will start correcting this mistake come this Nov and finish the job in 2012.

July 7, 2010 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  8. Michael

Obama is looking more and more like the democratic version of George Bush.....unpopular and ignoring the polls.

July 7, 2010 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  9. Dale

Polls are just polls... That is what the Republicans said when they were down and out.. And now they are spouting off new poll figures.. GO FIGURE!! The Dems need not worry, the GOP will never ever be what it once was, too many cultures, too many foreigners, new people who know what is right.

July 7, 2010 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  10. Danny

I voted for Obama in 2008.

I will not vote for Obama in 2012 because Obama supports illegal immigrants and opposes Arizona Law.

July 7, 2010 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  11. Chris~Albany, NY

To bad for all you GOP'ers he's not on the ballot for 2+ more years...more than enough time to fix some of your screwups and his poll #'s!

July 7, 2010 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  12. T

Am a independent some of the thing he is doing I dont approve, however I will vote for him in 2012.

July 7, 2010 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  13. Bobby

As an independent, I voted for Obama based upon the promises he made in his campaign. He touted big action with quick results. So far, Obama has not lived up to his promises. As an independent, I full well knew Bush was a failure as a President. I voted for Obama to bring about change, but all he has done is to continue to blame his own failed policies on the past administration. If I had wanted the past administration in action, I would have voted for McCain. Obama talked a great game, but his lack of leadership experience is showing and unfortunately he has surrounded himself with a bunch of staff that know not what they are doing.

July 7, 2010 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  14. Jeff from Chicago

The great divider's numbers are as expected.
    Democrats worship him, republicans hate him, and the real source of truth, independants are siding with the republicans.

Knew it was only a matter of time before people began to see through all the smoke and mirrors and his blame game. somewhere along the line he had to actually take responsibility and make a decision. Problem is he had no experience to do so and it shows. Man how it shows!

Talk is cheap, blaming others will hurt you in the end.

Bye bye obummer!!
    Good ridance.

July 7, 2010 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  15. Rickster

Wow, 81% of democrats actually approve of Obama's performance?.......lol....I realize that democrats are not the brightest bulbs but, man, how bad does he have to be before democrats start waking up? He has failed at EVERYTHING.

July 7, 2010 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  16. Obozo's Recod Deficit + Higher Taxes

Well, there's a shock.

OBOZO:
    Higher Taxes + Fees (over 7% increase)
    * does not include delayed tax increases for OBOZO-CARE
    Record Deficits (more than tripled the Bush Deficit in < 2 yrs)
    Record GOVT Spending
    Benefits to ILLEGALS

This boxo stinks.

July 7, 2010 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  17. Sam

Filing law suit aginst Arizona Law will be Obama's waterloo.

90 % of Americans support Arizona Law.

Obama only has 10 % support on this issue. Therefore Obama will lose 2012. and Democrats will lose majority in congress and senate in 2010.

July 7, 2010 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  18. Darrell

I guess they forgot to poll me...as an independent voter who support Obama and continues the President, I am still support him and policies 100% In fact, I still contribue money to his PAC. Compared with the Republicans who got us into this economic mess, I am ready to vote for Obama once again. So, next time call me to see how I feel about the question.

July 7, 2010 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  19. thor

The people that surround Obama are giving him data from polling that he has popular approval ratings close to 100%.Biden has told him that immigration is the only area that needs a little work as public approval is a tick down coming in at 99% .Sec. Gates said he was a little surprised at the results of the polls suggesting public support for his Afghanistan policy had risen, concidering the rise in deaths, but now stand at 99.62%

July 7, 2010 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  20. anotherGDlefty

Hooray for the GOP!!!
    We're failing! Hooray !

Yeah GOP, you crow about this poll from the rooftops. Please. Since most of the "independents" that surfaced after the 2008 election loss are just republicans too ashamed to call themselves republicans it is no surprise that most of them hate Obama.

Obama could cure cancer and the GOP would say he hates and is killing the funeral industry.

Don't forget to remind the voting population of all your brilliant ideas to help america now and how you are participating in shaping the future.

July 7, 2010 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  21. Lucy

Obama has failed in his promise to withdraw US Troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.

July 7, 2010 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  22. Mel

Independent voter here who voted for the Dem's and Obama last time. Not this time, I am tired of seeing him on TV whining. Enough is enough, he has no game plan.

July 7, 2010 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  23. michael MN

As soon as he sued Arizona he lost my support , Want a second term ? Then QUIT pandering to illegal felons in this country and start pandering to all the Legal citizens that are tired of the Feds doing NOTHING to stop the 20 million ilegals here

July 7, 2010 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |