July 7th, 2010

Levi Johnston apologizes to Palin family

Levi Johnston apologized to the Palin family on Tuesday.
Levi Johnston apologized to the Palin family on Tuesday.

(CNN) – Bristol Palin’s former fiance publicly apologized to her family Tuesday in a statement to PEOPLE magazine, saying that some of his comments about the Palin family made in the wake of the 2008 presidential campaign are not totally true.

Levi Johnston, the father of Bristol’s son, Tripp, was thrust into the spotlight when former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin was chosen to be the 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate.

But his relationship with the Palin family became strained after his engagement to Bristol ended, and he embarked on a series of high-profile media interviews in which he criticized the Palin family.

Now, Johnston appears to be trying to mend the relationship.

"Last year, after Bristol and I broke up, I was unhappy and a little angry. Unfortunately, against my better judgment, I publicly said things about the Palins that were not completely true," Johnston told CNN’s sister publication PEOPLE Magazine. "I have already privately apologized to Todd and Sarah. Since my statements were public, I owe it to the Palins to publicly apologize."

During the GOP's 2008 national convention in Minneapolis, Palin revealed that Bristol, then 17 years old, was pregnant with Johnston's baby and the two had plans to marry.

Following the election, Johnston appeared in Playgirl Magazine, and said on “The Tyra Banks Show” that he and Bristol had been allowed to live together, a charge the Palin camp denied.

Filed under: Levi Johnston • Sarah Palin
  1. mike

I need a job cries the boy jean Levi look I am sorry can I kiss your butt
    Bristol and we know what a big butt you have I don't want to go back
    to that cold place called alaska look I can be an actor just like you are can you get mommy to pull some strings and get me in look you can't act
    so there won't be problem hiring me

July 7, 2010 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  2. Dave

Lovely. Now when is the Palin family going to apologize us?

July 7, 2010 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  3. ABK

How much did they pay you to say that?

July 7, 2010 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  4. Jerry

Most of what he said was probably true because if he's like the rest of us, when we get angry we put peoples laundry out to dry.

July 7, 2010 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  5. Jeanne H.

How much money did they give him?

July 7, 2010 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  6. scribe

He was paid off to say he lied. Guaranteed.

July 7, 2010 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  7. dale

Not to worry Levi you can't damage their reputation any more that Sarah already has.

July 7, 2010 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  8. Frank

"says" he lied? That's CNN's teaser for this Ticker item. No, the headline should be HE LIED. And shame on the MSM for putting him up to it.

July 7, 2010 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  9. Fan of Common Sense

It's OK CNN. You were probably the only ones actually dumb enough to believe this low-life punk anyway. You're probably the only ones surprised that he was lying.

This is what happens to news agencies that lower their standards so low that they will put ANYONE on their air, just as long as they say bad things about conservatives.....they usually have to go back and clean up the mess later. You may want to raise your standards a little bit and be a little careful about who you put on your air. Stick with NEWSMAKERS....preferably creditable ones. (Journalism 101)

July 7, 2010 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  10. Kevin C

His 15 minutes and money ran out. He had to go back.

July 7, 2010 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  11. A HA

As the old saying goes money talks and you know what walks eh, dude!!

July 7, 2010 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  12. Tom

I would say that needed to be cleared up before she announces her candidacy. Smart move. I Don't know if she is the best candidate, but she could do 10x better than Obama who is in over his head. Still nothing on the oil spill. He is so inept.

July 7, 2010 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  13. gman

How much is Palin paying him.

July 7, 2010 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  14. Evil Hollywood Liberal

Young Levi is "back in the fold".....it's all under control......guess the Alaskan Barbie must be getting ready to run for something.

July 7, 2010 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  15. Susie

Can anyone say "payoff?" Suddenly Levi is all apologies and admitting to lying. Suddenly he is back in his son's life (and presumably, Ms. Abstinence until marriage's bed) and he wants to play huggy-kissy with Sarah. Right. Levi has been threatened with a lawsuit, no doubt, should he tell what he knows about the erstwhile candidate. "Against my better judgment" he says. What? You lied, against your better judgment? Your history with this family, as well as your past history in general, shows that you have no judgment, no morals, and little common sense. You, and they, are after fame and fortune, at the expense of whoever gets in the way. I imagine Joe Mcginess wanted to talk to you, and Sarah paid better.

July 7, 2010 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  16. Bob

Wow, my day is now complete. Can't get through a single day without a Palin related story.

July 7, 2010 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  17. Redneck_Ted

This should not be in the politics section. Levi is not a politician.
    Palin is not an EMPLOYED politician. This should go in the "Tween" section.

July 7, 2010 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  18. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Why is this important?

July 7, 2010 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  19. Better things to worry about.

We have pertinent things to worry about. You think people are interested in what is going on with Sara Palins family.

July 7, 2010 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  20. Larry

NOBODY CARES ... about Levi or the Palins ...

July 7, 2010 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  21. witch56

makes you wonder hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is that part of being able to see his son that he has to take back things he said even if they might be true?

July 7, 2010 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  22. nini

Now I wonder what Larry king is going to do since he can’t have Levi on his show to bash Palin’s?

I never gave much credibility to Levi’s bashing so his apology is not that important what is important is how low CNN could get to have this guy on TV repeatedly to gain rating.
    An example how a viable organizations can decline and get desperate or become so blinded by their biases that they will allocate hours to hear from Levi Johnson a teenager that got his girl friend pregnant, then bashed them to gain publicity and have his 15 minutes of fame.

July 7, 2010 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |