July 10th, 2010

Biden jokes about wrong prediction

Joe Biden said Friday he doesn't have a good track record with making predictions.

(CNN) - Vice President Joe Biden predicts that the Netherlands will win Sunday's World Cup championship game in South Africa, but admits his track record may not be that great.

"I think the Netherlands are going to win, but what the hell do I know? I thought LeBron was going to stay," Biden told Jay Leno Friday, in his first appearance on NBC's "The Tonight Show" since taking over as vice president a year and a half ago.

The vice president was pointing to a comment regarding NBA superstar LeBron James that he made a week ago in Ohio while campaigning for the Democrat's Senate nominee in that state. James announced Thursday the he was leaving the Cleveland Cavaliers to play with the Miami Heat.

Leno joked about Biden's tendency to speak his mind and make public gaffes. Biden said he warned then fellow Democratic Sen. Barack Obama about that, before signing on as Obama's running mate in the 2008 presidential election.

"I told the president two things when he asked me to do the job. I said, 'Just two conditions, Mr. President. I'm not going to wear any funny hats, and I'm not changing my brand.' And I kept my promise," Biden told Leno.

The late night talk show host also questioned the vice president about Friday's spy swap with Russia, in which the U.S. sent ten accused spies back to Moscow for four in return. Leno asked if the U.S. got a raw deal.

"We got back four really good ones," Biden told Leno. "And the ten, they've been here a long time, but they hadn't done much."

Asked about the return of one of the ten, attractive alleged Russian spy Anna Chapman, Biden joked "let me be clear. It was not my idea to send her back."

Also Friday while in Los Angeles, the vice president headlined a fundraiser for Sen. Barbara Boxer of California for the second straight day. The event was held at the home of Tom Rothman, co-chairman of Fox Filmed Entertainment, one of the largest movie studies in the country. According to a pool report, the event was expected to raise some $200,000 for Boxer. The three term Democratic senator faces a tough re-election bid this year against Republican nominee Carly Fiorina, the former CEO of Hewlett Packard.

Biden closed his comments at the fundraiser by saying that "California is coming back, America is coming back and Barbara Boxer is coming back."

Follow Paul Steinhauser on Twitter: @psteinhausercnn

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. sandy

I have always liked this guy. He calls a spade a spade and has the guts to admit when he is wrong. He is down to earth and what you see is what you get. We need more of the likes of him in Washington and get rid of some the phonies, especially the orange ones.

July 10, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  2. Russ H

His mouth is blabbing again. He even couldn't get through a sentence without hell being used. Complete idiot along with obama, Pelosi and Reid and most of the rest of our so called election politicans which is to protect us and keep our economy stablized. He needs to get over Bush did it. This has been going on since Regan was president.

July 10, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  3. John

@ Jerry
    "Biden is an incompetent jerk. So isn't his boss"

An intentional slip up? I'm glad you think the President is competent. We won't tell your teabaggin' friends.

July 10, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  4. Willa-PA

Obama/Biden 2012...go Netherlands :-)

July 10, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  5. Hell Raiser

We can tell the amount of intelligence Nestor, Austin, TX, has with his redneck comments about Indians. It is apparent he has not made it past 10th grade and live and die wallowing in his own ignorance and prejudice. Yeah, the Indians are here to stay just to be a thorn in your side, and, there's nothing you can do about it! It's your problem to deal with – not theirs!

July 10, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  6. Jon

Big foot-in-mouth-in-chief Bite-me has never predicted anything right, with only one exception that he said during the 2008 presidential election, if elected Obuma will be a huge disaster for our country's social and cultural life, economical development, environment, foreign policies, jobs and employments, and military power. For this, Bite-Me is quite and amazingly accurate.

July 10, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  7. Dave

Dang headline read Biden admits he was wrong. I thought he has been wrong on over a 100 issues, but sports?
    Where is the real news?

July 10, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  8. CAMI

Wow, is there anything you Repubs won't gripe about? It must be miserable always seeing the bad side of things I'd hate to be you.

I'm sure every one of you has never made a mistake, or said something you wish you hadn't at some point. How nice to be so perfect. You've even managed to perfect the art of finding fault with every single thing any Democrat does at any time. I'd be exhausted and miserable if I spent my life doing that.

I think Joe Biden is a nice, honorable man with a good sense of humor and his heart in the right place. None of his gaffes are earth shattering and as far as his "salty" language goes – who really cares? For heavens sake, we are adults and have probably used as bad, or worse, language ourselves. Ooops – my bad – you are after all Repubs and of course everyone knows that you are all PERFECT! lol

July 10, 2010 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  9. Riley

I predict the Netherlands will win, too. BUT, that's the only thing i have in common with Biden.

July 10, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  10. Hank Patterson

07/10/10

Maybe VEEP should stick to politics and actually do something

positive in Washington. Who gives a damn what some so-called

"celebrity" thinks about the outcome of a sports events. Aren't most

of these events fixed anyway?

end
    ###

July 10, 2010 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  11. Glenn Koons

Let us see: when has slow Joe ever been right? Wrong on the war in Iraq, he thought it lost until the Messiah took over. He is wrong on border security. He is wrong of our economy: wants more taxes and spending when the ave. citizen knows that is insane. Hates business as does BHO so that means even more unemployment and lack of private sector jobs. Is wrong on Kagan. He is wrong on education choice. He is wrong on the selection of the socialist pacifist czars. Joe might be a goner for the 2012 election because his gaffes do not comport with the Annointed One's arrogance and holier than thou demeanor.

July 10, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  12. Steve

I read the vile things these "patriots" say about our Commander in Chief, and cry for my country. We are no longer "one nation, indivisible." We are 2 camps of idealogues, too busy screaming propaganda to listen to reason.

July 10, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  13. Mel

What a loser Biden, have you ever been right about anything??

July 10, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  14. ehwilson429

Biden WRONG? that's not possible.
    he is not smart enough to ever be wrong.

Biden the FIVE time draft dodger has a couble digit IQ.
    Ol' Biden's IQ=90!

that's dangerous.

July 10, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  15. Hughcity

"but what the hell do I know?" Couldn't have said it better myself Joe.

July 10, 2010 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  16. jenn, philadelphia

I love the comments from the people praising him for being honest enough to admit a mistake and complaining a republican would never do the same. People, he admitted he was wrong about what team a basketball player was going to, not really that important. Ask him if he was wrong about the surge, ask him if he was wrong about the stimulus, ask him about something important. My guess is you won't be praising his honesty then.

July 10, 2010 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  17. flash77

Sorry Joe, Spain will win the World Cup.
    That's alright at least we have leaders we can believe in instead of dum dum and Darth Vader.
    How quick the right wants you to forget lying America into a war, the financial disaster, the US involved in torture, the worst terrorist attack in the history of our country the outing of a CIA agent and on and on
    Democrats better not stay home come November or we will get the nut jobs back in office like the ones on this page.
    By the way by all accounts the economy is turning around
    The jobs are not here yet but that the last thing to improve after a rebound
    BTW Bush and co. only created 1million jobs after 8yrs in office one of the worst records ever.Compare that to Clinton 22 million created in 8yrs

July 10, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  18. scott gardner

It is a shame to all of us that the politicians are so out of touch with us and the real news can not be told to us by this network. I will not watch CNN anymore. Scott

July 10, 2010 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  19. odner

My goodness– you americans know how to run your mouths.
    You take every thing for granted– specially your precious freedom of speech. You have no capacity to show respect due to your insecurities– you think rude and negative criticism is the only to sound "cool." Sigh– Any way, I think Joe Biden is great American politician and VP. I like that he always speaks his mind, regardless his tendency to make silly public gaffes.
    He's old, but in touch.