July 12th, 2010

Ad ignites race for California governor

(CNN) - California's gubernatorial race, already fueled by a fierce debate over immigration reform and a mounting fiscal crisis in the state, reached another level Monday as the candidates sparred over money.

Attorney General Jerry Brown, the Democrat hoping to take the seat being vacated by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, called his Republican opponent's latest ad, taking on his record on taxes, "completely false."

"[I]t's completely false," Brown told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King. "[E]verything you heard in that ad is completely false. And I'm really kind of disappointed that this first entry into politics does kind of the old attack, make up stuff, and throw mud."

Whitman's ad, titled "Their Governor," says that if elected, Brown will "be the same as he ever was: High taxes, lost jobs, big pensions for state employees."

Brown, who would be the oldest person ever elected governor of California if he wins the election, already holds the title for youngest person ever elected governor. He held the seat in Sacramento from 1975 to 1983.

Whitman spokeswoman Sarah Pompei said the campaign stands behind the ad.

"Basically he is trying to rewrite history," Pompei said in a statement to CNN. "The facts are clear. As governor, Jerry Brown's solution to every problem was to raise taxes."

On Monday, Brown said on CNN's John King, USA that he is committed to not adding anything to the tax burden of the people of California unless they approve it.

Brown admitted he was worried about former eBay CEO and president Whitman's deep pockets and fundraising ability.

"Oh I'm very concerned," Brown said, referring to Whitman as a "billionaire who just writes checks," and adding, "We are up against a juggernaut."

According to a Field Poll released earlier this month, 44 percent of California voters say they'll back Brown in the state's contest for governor, with 43 percent saying they support Whitman, and 13 percent undecided. Brown's advantage is well within the survey's sampling error.

Filed under: 2010 • California • Jerry Brown • JKUSA • John King USA • Meg Whitman
  1. Willy Brown

Brown's a Moonbat!

July 12, 2010 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  2. bennie new york

Jerry Brown is probably the only guy who can run on experience in a year that everyone is itching to throw off the old order. Liberals in CA idolize the man. It's hard to say it will be enough consider that the mood is in favor of outsiders like Meg Whitman, but appealing to an existing constituency is all Brown has.

July 12, 2010 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  3. Victim of GOP Taliban

Whitman is a liar and elitist FRAUD. Even Republicans are calling her out for being phony and trying to have it both ways on issues. Jerry Brown should be the next Gov. of CA.

July 12, 2010 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  4. Peter s

Stick it to them Jerry! its and hard!!

July 12, 2010 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  5. raingirl2

meg Whitman should never be elected to any political office anyone who buys a seat at the trough of corruption is the poster child for more corruption send her and her money packing pick anyone to win except her or anyone who buys their job which is not worth as much as they paid to get the position go figure its about power and more corruption

July 12, 2010 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  6. MONUMENTAL TRUTH!

Jerry Brown is another idiot. Remember he was married one time a very short time to the traitor Jane Fonda. Don't fall back into the trap of bringing him back into the fray.

July 12, 2010 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  7. Charlie in Maine

No way really? A Republican lying? I don't believe it is possible.

July 12, 2010 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  8. Debbie

Born and raised in California. I'm a patriot and I have voted in every election since I was 18 years old.

Whitman is outright lying! But then this is from a woman who is not pro America or California and has not voted.

She could not look into the face of a mother of a soldier who has died in battle for Whitman's right to vote and with any conscience (although I don't believe she has any) and give any excuse or apology on why she didn't vote. Her claim is she didn't have time. But that mother's son had time to die for Whitman's right.

Whitman didn't have time to vote and I don't have time for Whitman!

July 12, 2010 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  9. Susie

What else can we expect from the fact-challenged right. They are still using the Rove playbook:If you repeat a lie loud enough and often enough, the sheep will believe it. Look what they did to John Kerry. Meanwhile, adulterers like Newt and McCain are held up as wonderful examples of good Christian conservative values. The right has so little good to stand on, they have to resort to lies to win votes. If Fiorina had some sound policy ideas, actual ideas, for the state, why would she waste her money on attack ads? I hope Brown wins.

July 12, 2010 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  10. Francisco Cardenas

John King was not very respectful to Jerry Brown.

July 12, 2010 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  11. Obozo's Recod Deficit + Higher Taxes

Sorry Jerry, most Californians remember your record of TAX AND SPEND, ridiculous support for Unions, etc.

If any fools vote u into office, then they can pay for your programs.

I'll will not pay any new taxes, or fees.

PERIOD.

July 12, 2010 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  12. RTSOcal

Why would anyone think that the man who stood up against marriage itself, by not pressing the prop 8 argument for the people of his own state, would now suddenly turn over a new leaf and be a good governor? I've had it with liberals ruining our fine state.

July 12, 2010 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  13. Joe

Give me a break, any moron from California who votes for this guy should have themselves committed. He is crying about an add that points out exactly how he feels about taxing.

Just imagine if this guy gets elected. California will have a Democratic governor and a Democratic Legislature. Does Grey Davis sound familiar? Yes he was impeached/.

July 12, 2010 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  14. Republicans is smart in the head area

Meg Whitman is the worst candidate for public office since Sarah Palin.

July 12, 2010 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  15. normajean

I was born and raised in California and I remember "Pat" Brown as Governor and his son Jerry who followed him some years later. I was young and didn't follow politics as I do now, but I remember that life was pretty good here during those years. and considering the alternative of Whitman who spends money like a "drunken sailor', I will be happy to vote for Jerry Brown .He'll have a big job with the economy but this is a man who knows the value of money. I believe he will be serious about bringing our state out of this mess and making it whole again.

July 13, 2010 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  16. Leslie

I am sooooo tired of these negative ads on TV I could vomit!! I hope Jerry Brown holds back and doesn't give into this ridiculous behavior! GO JERRY!!

July 13, 2010 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  17. first entry into politics

not surprised, politics has evolved into say what ever you want, regardless of the truth, many times on many advertising medium, people will buy it

July 13, 2010 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  18. joe kiloz

take,,,,,,,some,,,,,,,geritol,,,,,,,,,gov,,,,,,,,,,moonbeam

July 13, 2010 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  19. bobden

The usual repug approach. Make stuff up, tell lies.

July 13, 2010 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  20. Donkey Party

Please CA, don't allow Whitman to buy her way into the Governor's mansion.

July 13, 2010 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  21. Ex Californian

I was born and raised in California, but have not lived there for over 20 years. I realized that California offered nothing for me and me family except high taxes and polluted air. The only reason I stayed as long as I did was because my family raised me there, but I came to the realization that the "grass is greener on the other side of the mountain." During my adult years, with Jerry Brown was governor, I believe the state went on a skid that it has never recovered from. Now he wants to try again. Before you folks cast your vote for him, ask yourself if Oakland is any better after his term as mayor there. Have you been to Oakland? California deserves a fresh start, with someone who is not a professional politician like Jerry Brown. California needs Ms. Whitman because she has the fresh ideas and a the business savvy to get things done right. She will have a tough fight because Sacramento is filled with politicians who "think" like Jerry Brown and have not been able to accomplish much for years. Just ask Arnold.

July 13, 2010 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  22. vwrtb

More good paying jobs please... Maybe Nike or Levis can tell us how to create good American jobs...

July 13, 2010 03:34 am at 3:34 am |
  23. vwrtb

What's wrong with pensions? That's the America I grew up in?

July 13, 2010 03:35 am at 3:35 am |
  24. key

My vote is for Jerry the other one has already changed her positions to much. say anything do anything politics to get elected

July 13, 2010 07:51 am at 7:51 am |