(CNN) - Lawmakers return from a weeklong break on Monday with a full plate of unfinished business awaiting them.
There's a lot to tackle, but not a lot of time to do it. Congress is in session for four weeks before a monthlong recess. After that, members of Congress will turn their attention toward campaigning for the November midterm elections.
Here's a look at some of the items on Congress' to-do list:
LISTEN: CNN's Lisa Desjardins takes a look at what Congress can accomplish before the current session expires.
1. Cutting spending for next years budget by 7% across the board including entitlement programs
2. Develop a withdrawl plan to get the heck out of Iraq which would provide savings in addition to the above 7% across the board cuts.
3. Secure the southern border so that we don't have to keep fighting Arizona for doing what everyone wants which is enforcement of existing law.
4. Restart off shore drilling with the most stringent available environmental safeguards in place which helps us with Jobs, tax revenue and improves our foreign trade deficit.
5. Extend all of the Bush tax cuts except for individuals making over $250K per year like was promised to us.
That should be enough to keep congress busy.
If they would stop fighting , they could get a lot done.
send them back home ,,, it was better when they are gone ,,
Hopefully they leave Financial Reform! It's pretty anti-consumer if you've read the part about credit cards in it.
Have them go back home we can't afford from a financial or personal freedom stand point any more "hope and change." The only thing that has changed is more of our hard earned money has gone to corrupt unions and our hope for financial recovery and a better life has been dashed by a corrupt, inept administration.
They can begin by undoing some of the garbage they have already done. They can also try to be honest with us.
I can tell you where to begin, pack your boxes and get out you bunch thieves and liars. Time to take the country back folks, hope is not a plan.
Where to begin? How about picking up where you left off. It's time to debate all the legislation that the GOBP have been obstructing. First and foremost should be the extension of unemployment benefits.
How about by bringing criminal charges against those who were responsible for the economic meltdown?
How about bringing criminal charges against BP Oil for the loss of lives and the environmental disaster that continues to this day?
If this Government truly wants a return of confidence in our economy then let the people who saw their lives savings stolen from them, see these criminals go to jail. We want to see some consequences from the crimes that seems to happen on a very large scale go unpunished.
Why doesn't Congress do us all a favor and take the rest of the year off. It will be cheaper for us all in the long run.
Begin by giving back your undeserved pay hike for this year, you jerks.