July 13th, 2010

Palin endorsement shakes up Georgia race

Georgia gubernatorial candidate John Oxendine is out with a new ad on Tuesday.
Georgia gubernatorial candidate John Oxendine is out with a new ad on Tuesday.

(CNN) – Sarah Palin waded into the Georgia governor's race Monday and already that contest is growing more intense.

Less than a day after the former Alaska governor announced she is backing former Georgia Secretary of State Karen Handel, a GOP opponent is out with a scathing campaign commercial that suggests Handel once supported abortion rights.

"She gave almost a half-million dollars to an abortion provider. And supported tax-payer benefits for gay couples. Sounds like a liberal Democrat. It's the Karen Handel you didn't know," says a new ad from John Oxendine, the state insurance commissioner who is considered the frontrunner in the race.

Specifically, the ad says that when Handel was chairman of the Fulton County Commission in 2005 she voted in favor of a $425,568 allocation for Planned Parenthood.

Former Rep. Nathan Deal and former state Sen. Eric Johnson are also running for GOP gubernatorial nomination.

The primary is set for July 20 with a runoff scheduled on August 10 if no candidate garners more than 50 percent of the vote. The current governor of Georgia, Republican Sonny Perdue, has served in that post since 2003 and is term-limited from running for reelection.

"In a posting on her Facebook page Monday, Palin called Handel a reformer who will "strengthen…families, businesses, state and, ultimately, our United States."

"Though considered an underdog candidate (more power to her!), this pro-life, pro-Constitutionalist with a can-do attitude and a record of fighting for ethics in government is ready to serve in the Governor's Office. She'll balance budgets and help spur Georgia's economy," Palin also wrote.

Filed under: Georgia • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. mike tampa fl

Aha! another Palin kiss of death lol.

July 13, 2010 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  2. Charles W. Skinner

Gotta love a cheap shot when your opponent decides to reduce complex votes to a 15 second sound bite.

July 13, 2010 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  3. AntonK

What's a pro constitutionalist? Does SP know anything about the constitution?

July 13, 2010 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  4. SA in OO

Palin has found her forum !

She hits the character limit imposed by the Twitter format about the time she would normally run out of coherent thoughts, let alone informed observations on any subject . . . except perhaps helicopter moose hunting. A subject I must admit I would have to defer to her on.

July 13, 2010 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  5. JOhn

If it where not for Atlanta, Georgia would be Alabama.

July 13, 2010 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  6. jeremy

yet another reason why this woman has no business in politics... she can't even do her own research to figure this kind of thing out. She's such a hypocrite.

July 13, 2010 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  7. Anonymous

OK, Let's get ready for the boring
    Sarah Palin jokes.

July 13, 2010 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  8. Sarah Palin waded into ... what?

is there nothing this superhero can't do!!!

she is the McGyver of politics

she is a rock star

she can fix an engine, assemble an M16, fly a Lear Jet, split the atom and perform brain surgery

we trully are blessed to have this woman who knows all, sees all and is just too smart, smarter than you and me

the end is near... she is the sign

July 13, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  9. Gravaman

Palin is doing what she does best .. supporting others. Her camera presence is distracting and her voice irratating. But, she has that Ragan leadership and confident style.

July 13, 2010 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  10. Marie MD

Just for a second I have these wonderful thoughts of this biimbo wading somewhere and drowning. Then again, what would CNN do withoug her silly facebook page nothings. They would have nothing to report.
    This is a woman who made rape victims pay for their own rape kit while governor of AK.
    She is such a Christian that it makes my head spin every time she brings her hate to anyone.
    I wonder how much CNN is paying the fool who has to go through her ihnfantile facebook on a daily basis to find something unmeaningful to report about her.
    Not sure what's worse CNN or the retard from AK.

July 13, 2010 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  11. Kate KY

I wonder what the "radical-right" would talk about if it weren't for abortion and Gay Rights. Oh, I'm sure the "bible-thumpers" would find some group of people to hate.

July 13, 2010 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  12. Jasmin

Palin's power is getting stronger and stronger.

July 13, 2010 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  13. Francisco Cardenas

Palin is so overblown by the Media no wonder she thinks her endorsements mean something. That's okay though, let the GOP eat their own.

July 13, 2010 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  14. EddieInRI

Is this a surprise?

You should know by now that this has nothing to do with a candidate's stance on issues. If it's a woman with an (R) next to her name, Palin's going to endorse her.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have more women in government, because I do think we should. But voting should be strictly based on record, not gender – same as when Clinton and Obama were vying for the nomination.

This is just another reason to take EVERYTHING that Mrs. Palin does with a pound of salt.

July 13, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  15. Ugh

God help me, but I just hate Sarah Palin. I flat out can't stand her, every word that comes out of her mouth is like a shard of glass in my ear, every post she flings onto whatever social networking site she fancies at that moment makes me want to vomit and the very sight of her makes me want to jump off a bridge. For the life of me, I have NO IDEA how this woman can be legitimately viewed as a policital "expert." GOP or DNC, I don't care, I really don't. Support who you want to support, it's your right, but Palin's gotta go. She is the true danger to this country with all of her nonsense and gabbing, not to mention her rediculous sentence fragment thoughts she's so intent on barfing up everytime a microphone is within 10 yards of her. She is gross. GO AWAY, PALIN! Seriously! There are many more worthy members of the GOP that we can listen to and who have about a million times more brain matter than you.

July 13, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  16. Rosslaw

What are the odds that John Oxedine is one more self-loathing, repressed, in-denial right-wing homosexual or pedophile who wants to make up for his hidden "preferences" by injecting government into the most private aspects of our lives. Probably not much more than a 97% chance.

July 13, 2010 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  17. Zippy from Balula

I fail to see why any of this is bad.

July 13, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  18. Incredulous American

Again Sarah Palin puts out an endorsement that clearly shows she herself nor anyone working within her machine took any time to research the person being endorsed. HOW IS IT that anyone can ascribe any competency to "Sarah Palin". Either she is completely vacuous or driven only by money or both! Come on America, just say NO to Palin!!

July 13, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  19. idesign

Palin power....Hey libbies, deal with it. LOL

July 13, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  20. ac

No comment, it's the quitter Sarah Palin!

July 13, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  21. ronnie blake

Makes me very embarrased to be from GA.That is mild compared to the trash these conspiracy theorist around here talk.So much hate and misinformation spread and the hell of it is that the people voting for these nut jobs are the people that most need the governments intervention,total ignorance.If it were not for my aging mother I would be long gone from here trust me.

July 13, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  22. Kevin - Atlanta

I am not a proud GA Boy right now. Mainly cause I support gay rights and womens rights. May our state be lucky and vote neither in. Also as an insurance agent in GA. I am no fan of Oxendine. For 20 years he has been a lousy commissioner.

July 13, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  23. Rogelio

Sarah will ruin another political future! Doesn't anyone see the obvious. I would not vote for anyone she sides with.

July 13, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  24. HK Polston

Palin is an opportunistic empty-headed twit – Hanel has a vagina, so she gets the nod.

July 13, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  25. popnsa

That woman (Sister Sarah) is an idiot.

July 13, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |