July 13th, 2010

Schumer statement on passing of George Steinbrenner

(CNN) - New York Sen. Charles Schumer on Tuesday released the following statement regarding the death of New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner:

“Like New York and like the Yankees, George Steinbrenner was a champion. He was someone about whom you can truly say that there will never be another one like him. When he bought the Yankees in 1973 the franchise was moribund and he quickly restored them to greatness. I, along with millions of Yankees fans, am thankful for the countless hours of joy we have experienced watching his team at the Stadium or following them on television and radio. He was a true New York icon. My condolences and best wishes go out to the Steinbrenners and the entire Yankee family.”

Filed under: Charles Schumer • New York
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

R.I.P. George. Let's Go Yankees! Win # 28 for the "Boss."

July 13, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  2. Thomas

I can understand this being news on the Sports section, but why is this death on the political ticker?

My condolences and respect the family in their loss. But this is not a political matter, is it?

July 13, 2010 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  3. T'SAH from Virginia

WOW – he will be missed from the stands!!!! Bury him with a BAT and BALL and he will definitely rest in peace. My condolences goes out to his family!!!

July 13, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  4. Cleaveland's chance?

with NY's icon having passed on, (RIP), now Cleveland should push as the next Yankess for the coming decade

not to miss a chance for a dynasty

he did many great things and some less great things, my sympathies to the family

(don't miss this chance Cleveland)

July 13, 2010 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  5. Rick McDaniel

Why do we put ball playing, in such high regard? Silly.

July 13, 2010 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  6. Victim of GOP Taliban

Hate those Yankees. Yet I must admit Steinbrenner was the best owner in sports...always spending whatever it took to get the best talent and keep their best players.

July 13, 2010 11:51 am at 11:51 am |