July 14th, 2010

Cheney recuperating after heart surgery

ALT TEXT

Former Vice President Dick Cheney said in a statement that he underwent hear surgery last week. (PHOTO CREDIT: Getty Images)

(CNN) - Former Vice President Dick Cheney recently underwent heart surgery and is recovering in a Virginia hospital, said a statement issued by Cheney on Wednesday.

During the operation last week at the Inova Fairfax Heart and Vascular Institute, doctors implanted a small pump that "improves heart function and will enable me to resume an active life," Cheney's statement said.

"The operation went very well and I am now recuperating," the statement said.

Cheney has a history of heart problems, including five heart attacks dating back to the first one he suffered in 1978 at age 37.

"A few weeks ago, it became clear that I was entering a new phase of the disease when I began to experience increasing congestive heart failure," Cheney's statement said. "After a series of recent tests and discussions with my doctors, I decided to take advantage of one of the new technologies available and have a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted."

Cheney also suffered heart attacks in 1984 and 1988, and underwent a quadruple bypass surgery to unblock his arteries. Shortly after Cheney was elected vice president in November 2000, he had a fourth heart attack and received a stent to open an artery.

In February, Cheney suffered his fifth heart attack.

He was released from a Washington, D.C., hospital on June 28 after suffering from "progressive retention of fluid related to his coronary artery disease," his office said at the time.

Statement from former Vice President Cheney

As many of you know, I have dealt with coronary artery disease for decades, suffering my first heart attack in 1978 at age 37. Over the years, excellent care from my doctors and advances in medicine and technology have allowed me to live a full and active life, for which I am very grateful.

A few weeks ago, it became clear that I was entering a new phase of the disease when I began to experience increasing congestive heart failure. After a series of recent tests and discussions with my doctors, I decided to take advantage of one of the new technologies available and have a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted. The LVAD is a small implantable pump that improves heart function and will enable me to resume an active life.

Last week I underwent surgery at Inova Fairfax Heart and Vascular Institute and had an LVAD implanted. The operation went very well and I am now recuperating.

I am grateful for the wonderful care that I have received over the years at George Washington University Hospital, and that I am currently receiving at Inova Fairfax Heart and Vascular Institute.

I also want to thank all of you who have included my family and me in your thoughts and prayers.

Filed under: Dick Cheney • Popular Posts
  1. Rickster

Dick Cheney is one of the greatest patriots in the history of this nation and I wish him a speedy recovery.

July 14, 2010 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  2. Logical Thinker

Don't like the man but I wish his health well.

July 14, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  3. NVa Native

I don't like your opinions, your politics, or much of anything I am aware of you doing in your past, but I hope for peace and contentment for you and your family.

July 14, 2010 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  4. lindita

I wish the best time for Mr.Cheney. God bless him and his family. Thank you

July 14, 2010 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  5. larry

I hope you have a speedy recovery and many more years of life.

July 14, 2010 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  6. mdtmns

Speedy recovery. You are brave man.

July 14, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  7. zach chease

Wasn't always a fan of his, but heart disease is no joking matter. I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

July 14, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  8. Lloyd Vahrenkamp

Dear Mr. Vice-Pres. & your Family,
    Just wanted to send you words of encouragement & that I hope you are doing well, I hope the surgery went ok for you. You have always been a great person I look up to in our nations affairs & as Vice Pres. under Former Pres. Bush. You have a great fan here cheering you on here in Ft. Worth, Tx.
    As I said before I hope all goes well with you & your family
    My families thoughts & prayers are with you, my 86 yr old mom is going through heart & respiratory problems now.
    Take care, Lloyd Vahrenkamp

July 14, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  9. Willy Brown

A speedy recovery Mr. Vice President.

July 14, 2010 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  10. Joe

Get well soon Mr. Vice President. May God bless you.

July 14, 2010 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  11. cnnwhynow

Get well soon Mr. Cheney!! I respect your views about politics, and big business in America, but I would just hope and pray that you recover, and God finds a way to change your heart, and you become the beacon of Hope and Glory that this great country needs at this time !!!!

July 14, 2010 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  12. jules sand-perkins

God bless former Vice President Cheney.

July 14, 2010 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  13. Thomas

I hope he makes a full recovery. Good luck with this.

July 14, 2010 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  14. ib

Get well soon; we need your voice against the takeover of everything in our life.

July 14, 2010 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  15. phoenix86

God bless you Mr. Vice President.

July 14, 2010 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |