July 14th, 2010

Palin family responds to engagement news

The Palin family released a statement Wednesday after Bristol Palin announced her engagement.

(CNN) - Sarah and Todd Palin released this statement Wednesday following the news that their daughter Bristol is now engaged to her on-again, off-again boyfriend Levi Johnston:

"Bristol, at 19, is now a young adult. As parents we obviously want what is best for our children, but Bristol is ultimately in charge of determining what is best for her and her beautiful son.

Bristol believes in redemption and forgiveness to a degree most of us struggle to put in practice in our daily lives.

We pray that, as a couple, Bristol and Levi's relationship matures into one that will allow Tripp to grow up graced with two loving parents in his life."

- The Palin family

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Levi Johnston • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. David

So wonderful that Levi posed for Playgirl, good catch Bristol!

July 14, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  2. CGS

Will the Lifetime movie be produced by Sarah herself? How poetic; how charming. Everyone wants a daddy that posed nude.

Sorry, Scott Brown.

Republican values? My mother, a saintly southern woman, would say that trash breeds trash, but then again, she's 86 and unrepentant in her love of social mores.

July 14, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  3. d

So... remind me... why is this news? >_>

July 14, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  4. AEK

After the story earlier today about the impending engagement I was soooooo waiting on pins and needles to hear what the parent's reaction would be! Thanks again, CNN for the insightful selection of stories that keep America informed of the most current and critical events around the country and the world.

July 14, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  5. BD70

And then behind closed doors Bristol gets a lip whoopin...

July 14, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  6. Bedtime for Obonzo

OK, Dem posters. Show your mindless hate and immaturity by slamming this article.

July 14, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  7. C Spurgeon

What a cracker jack family. No class whatsoever. Who will pay for the next story, saga, speech etc.

July 14, 2010 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  8. CathyInAZ

Sounds less than thrilled – call me jaded but wonder what she promised and or paid him to silence his comments and repair his relationship with her daughter. If she is considering a run for the 2012 Presidential Nomination (God Forbid) I am sure this is one loose end she wanted tied up to avoid media attention and questions asked of her.

July 14, 2010 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  9. Maurice

Why does this stuff CONTINUALLY show up in political news?!?!?!?!?! There are millions of people getting engaged across the country!!! Big whoop!!!!!! Please give me politics CNN.....REAL POLITICS!

July 14, 2010 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  10. Steve in Denver

Can we get this hillbilly family onto Jerry Springer and off of CNN? If this is family values, sign me up to build the "1984" state run wards to raise childeren.

July 14, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  11. Tim Sunderland

From the very beginning they were two kids caught in the spotlight and under enormous pressure. I wish them the best.

July 14, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  12. James

I think I will run right out to "Trailer Trash are Us" and see what they have registered for!

July 14, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  13. Richard in Montana

Oh good, the Alaskan soap opera is alive and well. Too bad the kid, not the dumb one of Sarah's, has to be paraded before the media again for use as a political tool. How utterly despicable.

July 14, 2010 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  14. Sniffit

Translation: "When I get my hands on that little sl–t, I'm going to rip her arms off. She's signing a pre-nup or I'm never speaking to her again. And Levi...oh boy...he's paying for an addition on my house with his nudey-picture money or I'm not buying them their first trailer to live in."

July 14, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  15. AEJ

Sarah Palin was never in charge of her children. She can't even control her own children's life, i.e. she is unaware of what is happening to them at all times – hence her becoming a grandmother. Sghame on your Sarah, you fail miserable as a mother.

Keep your eyes on your children or else you are going to be grandmother over and over again. Keep your eyes less on other people's business. You too darn rude and out of order.

July 14, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  16. k

Soon Levi can follow along like a puppy dog after Bristol like her father does Sarah. But, they can go ching, ching all the way to the bank.

July 14, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  17. barb

As long as their daughter has an iron clad pre-nup, they should be thrilled that their grandchild's parents are making an attempt to make a go of marriage and probably with him as their #1 reason).

July 14, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  18. cm

trailer trash- will she get trigg back now that she will be having a husband?

July 14, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. Kahuna

Levi realized that you can make a living from lying. He saw how well Bristol's mom was doing at it so he decided to hitch his wagon to the Palin circus.

July 14, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  20. 52 Pick-up

In other words, we HATE this!!!!

July 14, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  21. once upon a horse

I always thought it was First comes love, Then comes marriage, THEN comes Bristol pushing a baby carriage at least that's what all the conservatives used to say and the religious right stil preaches. But it's ok to do the Hollywood thing if you're the Palins yet be judgemental over everyone else. I still say had this been one of President Obama's kids the far right and Rush would NEVER let them live it down. But best of luck to the Johnstons..I'm sure money will be the least of their problems which is more than I can say for other kids that choose to do the same thing.

July 14, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  22. sue

AH! Thus the apology! Oh brother!

July 14, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  23. Mike

I guess Sarah will have to get rid of the Playgirl copies she has of Levi

July 14, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  24. Anonymous

She's a child, too young to have children and way too young to be married.

July 14, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  25. Rob R

Good for you, Momma Grizzly, way to show restraint and grace publicly. Best wishes to the kids...now, can we move on to JOBS, ECONOMY, TAXES.....?!?

July 14, 2010 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |