July 14th, 2010

Palin family responds to engagement news

The Palin family released a statement Wednesday after Bristol Palin announced her engagement.

(CNN) - Sarah and Todd Palin released this statement Wednesday following the news that their daughter Bristol is now engaged to her on-again, off-again boyfriend Levi Johnston:

"Bristol, at 19, is now a young adult. As parents we obviously want what is best for our children, but Bristol is ultimately in charge of determining what is best for her and her beautiful son.

Bristol believes in redemption and forgiveness to a degree most of us struggle to put in practice in our daily lives.

- The Palin family

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Levi Johnston • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Bruno

I am not sure but if my daughter decided to marry a guy that had done the things Levi had done my response would be a white van, straight jacket and a round of professional deprogramming for my daughter. I can't print what would be in store for the young man!

July 14, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  2. snow

Maybe johnson is finally going to take some responsibility for the child he helped create. I hope they can work it out even though it will drive the liberals more nuts than they already are.

July 14, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  3. jeanne

actually, nicely stated...by the way, i'm real sorry i didn't vote for you and mccain. the guilt by what i have helped do to this counrty is horrible

July 14, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  4. sugarland

Bristol u is a dumm beech, so you would make a great republican

July 14, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  5. Pesqueeb

Wow, that sure is a real statement of love and support. What great people they are. :rolleyes:

July 14, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  6. Maryann - Orlando FL

Oh, they're just reacting now? Even I knew that when Levi apologized for the things he said that he was trying to get back into the family.

What a fantasy world the Palin's live in!

July 14, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  7. G.I. Jane

Maybe some of you deadbeat multiple divorced liberals out
    there should take a lesson on how to work on a relationship
    from the family you hate so much.

July 14, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  8. RationalMind

Finally, a rational thought from the mind of Sarah Palin. This conclusively proves, without a doubt, that there's a first time for everything.

July 14, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  9. jim

not news. please, cnn, use some common sense.

July 14, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  10. Bob

And it is better for the reality show!

July 14, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  11. Chas

And how much are the Palin's going to receive for this story and the "exclusive" wedding photo ops? DUH!

July 14, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  12. Jimbo (The Real One)

Statistically speaking this marriage has about as much chance of success as Sarah has being elected President. I wish them well with their decision but I doubt they will ever see their 10th wedding anniversary.

July 14, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  13. Jim

Sarah Palin's response drips with sarcasm and condescension. Both Bristol and Levi are managing the situation with a sense of class, of which Sarah Palin has been and remains entirely devoid.

July 14, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  14. joel palmer

Hardly a ringing endorsement from Mrs P; kind of like Peter Marshall on Hollywood Squares when a contestant screwed up and picked the wrong celebrity:

"I'd have gone with Rose Marie to block, but this may work out" which of course it never did

July 14, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  15. Independent_me

Damage control.
    He was paid to start cleaning up the relationship because she is running for President in 2012.
    So obvious!

July 14, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  16. Gil

Wouldn't you want to change your last name too if it was Palin Pathetic!

July 14, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  17. Steven Templeton

As if every sordid detail of John & Kate Plus Eight, then Kate Plus Eight wasn't enough, now we're going to subjected to every detail, ad nauseum, of Bristol and Levi. Many of us didn't give a fig about this couple, or the mother of the bridge, before. Why should we now? Slow news day?

July 14, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  18. Bob U

"We pray that, as a couple, Bristol and Levi's relationship matures into one that will allow Tripp to grow up graced with two loving parents in his life."

In other words, we hope they don't make the same mistakes that we made. Bravo!

July 14, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  19. Rich

Now it is time for them to fade into privacy to make their lives work. Without the "benefit" of Sister Sarah, except perhaps for a few $$ (Not a lot, just a few) from time to time to help them along.

July 14, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  20. Marie MD

I was going to shoot myself because of another useless quitter family story, but then I kept reading the ticker and there's angle who only wants to do interviews if it pays off for her and rand who wants to start a teabagging circus, sorry caucus, in the Senate.
    Are these people for real?
    So now in the quitter'as family we have not one, not two, but three media ho's. levi couldn't start his career so now he's clinging to his almost mother in law and mother of his child for money. This is better than any soap opera on TV.
    When all is said and done it is a sad story that the US and its citizens have sunk so low.

July 14, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  21. Larry Laguardia

Maybe I am too cynical but this strikes me as an attempt at a clever political strategy. I bet the Palin forces have paid Levy to clean up the talk and deliver a picture perfect little family just in time for 2012. It won't be that easy – these people are trash, plain and simple.

July 14, 2010 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  22. jmchil

Levi,

Don't marry down!!!

July 14, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  23. kdg-Seattle

Here comes a new reality show.

July 14, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  24. Matt - KC

It just won't go away.

July 14, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  25. linda

Very nice Sarah and Todd! I can only hope that one day, if presented with a similar situation, that I would handle it so eloquently. At least on the surface anyway! I amost dropped dead when I read that!

July 14, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |