July 16th, 2010

Greene figurines coming soon to South Carolina

A minor league baseball team says it will pass out Alvin Greene statues at an upcoming game.

(CNN) – Democratic Senate candidate Alvin Greene's economic stimulus plan is coming to fruition, with an assist from an unlikely source: The Charleston RiverDogs, a minor league baseball team.

Greene raised eyebrows when, in the wake of his primary victory, he suggested to The Guardian, a British newspaper, that one idea to help create jobs in his state is to "make toys of me, especially for the holidays. Little dolls. Like maybe action dolls. Me in an army uniform, air force uniform, and me in my suit."

It's an idea the South Carolina native did not back away from in an interview with CNN last week.

"The reaction has been good. I am a true American hero and if any of the toy companies want to put something like that forward that would be good." He said he has not received any inquiries. He said it would help spur retail sales. "Just a good positive thing for the kids" is how he described it.

And now, the Charleston RiverDogs, the New York Yankees single-A club, are stepping into the void left by America's apparently uninterested toy companies.

The RiverDogs say they will be handing out miniature statues bearing Greene's likeness to the first 1,000 fans through the gates during Saturday night's game against the Augusta GreenJackets.

Minor league baseball teams are known for their zany promotions and publicity stunts, but Saturday's event might spur some measure of economic growth. That's because the club is promising to hire extra workers specifically to hand out the statues.

Actor and comedian Bill Murray is a part-owner of the RiverDogs (and listed as the club's director of fun). The club's President is Mike Veeck who, according to the team website, operates "with the belief that anything is possible and no idea too silly."

Filed under: 2010 • Alvin Greene • South Carolina
  1. Barack.Hussein.Obama-America's-Incompetent-DICTATOR

Is this going to be a bobble-head figure??? Dang, might be worth the plane trip! Nice work DemocRATS!

July 16, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  2. Walter

If we ever needed an example of why states should not allow themselves to become politically uncompetitive, we don't any longer.

July 16, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  3. jus sayin

how about a greene inaction figure – just sits in the box all day – however it will sync up to the computer to find some good pron...

July 16, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  4. get real

Oh Alvin!

One should not declare oneself a hero. If one is given such a title from others (for say, saving a bunch of children and/or puppies from a burning building), one should politely decline and say one was just doing what any other person would do.

July 16, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  5. The Other Micheal in Houston

This guy is the poster child for what is wrong with America. How in the world did this guy win a primary baffles me. This is a prime example of not knowing who you are voting for and just showing up and saying "I am voting for this guy because he is not the other guy". For once in your pathetic lives people, learn about your candadite before you decide to vote. Maybe this guy may be a good guy and all, but clearly not qualified for the job. And all the rumors about he was aplant by the Republicans, well that may or may not be true but you morons in S.C. still voted for him. I actually feel sorry for the guy myself.

July 16, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  6. get real

My Alvin Green action figure is going to be placed right next to my Sarah Palin barbie doll.

July 16, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  7. FRANK THOMAS

As a democrat I must say something happened here to get him the nomination, hopefully this whole thing will backfire on the r,s and Greene will actually win.

July 16, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  8. JOhn

This one is worse than when Buch and Rove put out the ad against McCain for having an illegitimate black daughter that was actually a child they had adopted. A new low in republican campaigning.

July 16, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  9. sabally

This is too funny to missed out on...

July 16, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  10. Kevin P

I love this guy.

He's so weird, what a bizzare story this has been. YouTube some interviews with him, and see how off his speech patterns are.

In all honesty though; I think he really is just some dude who won because his name was above Vic Rawl's on the primary ballot. Primary voters probably never heard of either guy, and just checked off the first name on the list.

It doesnt matter either way, Jim DeMint is a lock to win the general regardless of which (D) he faces. It's like a R+12 district.

July 16, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  11. BestProfitCompany = WAR

Im not suprised that south carolinians voted for this person. The people there are not very smart; just look at their elected officials.

July 16, 2010 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  12. Ken

say WHAT?

July 16, 2010 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  13. John Bacon

Is this a joke?

July 16, 2010 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  14. Rickster

I don't know how Alvin Greene got to this point. Obviously he is over his head but I don't want to mock the guy. Hopefully, the Riverdogs are giving out his action figure in a spirit of good fun and not mockery. If his version of events is accurate then he's a guy who decided to give his dreams a shot and that's worth alot.

July 16, 2010 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  15. Sniffit

LOL

SC, goin' for the gold...hands-down the craziest place on the mothership.

July 16, 2010 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  16. Rick McDaniel

Kids don't vote.

July 16, 2010 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  17. geecee

This whole candidacy of Alvin Greene is a shame (if not a sham). All this guarantees is that this Country is going to have to suffer through another six years of the Demented one. God Help Us!! Couldn't the Democrats in South Caroline have come up with someone better than this to run against Demented? Sad, just plain sad.

July 16, 2010 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  18. Anne

I know I know...but WHY would anyone at this junction vote for this guy? He has yet to campaign in such a way to introduce his platform in more than...say...10 words. I'm just saying....
    But seriously....is there something "hidden" in there? I doubt it, but I along with the rest of the country will just have to wait it out...
    I'm not optimistic at his chances...and I think for humiliation sake...he should pull out before he gets in too deep he'll need a crane to dig him out of the hole he has dug for himself...

Alvin Greene...speak up...or...well you know the rest...or do you?

July 16, 2010 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  19. gt

yea and one of jessie jackosn, nancy peloise and harry reid as the four horsemen super heros...

July 16, 2010 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  20. MR AMERICA

Every kids dream come true....a stature of this true American hero.

Will someone please investigate where this clown got the 10 grand?

July 16, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  21. BobH

Okay, I do wonder about this guy, but he's beginning to grow on me...

July 16, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  22. Duck Fallas

Makes as much sense as buying one of Palin's "books."

July 16, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  23. Debbie

You have my vote in November.

July 16, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  24. MONUMENTAL TRUTH!

This man does not have the brain-power of a goose and you taking him serious.

July 16, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  25. Hugo

NYC REPUB July 15th, 2010 11:37 am ET

More doom and gloom from the GOP.......what's new?
    We are Americans........and though our challenges, throughout American history, we have risen to the occasion......Despite the fear selling of the day, the private sector has added jobs every month since February 2010.......If anyone thinks that 1 million jobs a month would be created, after the private industry gutted 8 million jobs, they are living in fantasy land......Unemployment was at 10.3, it is now at 9.5........When it drops to 8.5, and lower, what will be the complaint then?
    I choose hope over fear........DEMS and Repubs need to work together......
    Boehner's comments don't move me at all.....he's done nothing but sit in office collecting his paycheck, while America burns......
    He voted no on Healthcare.
    He voted no on Wall Street reform.
    He is nothing more than a hack.
    _____________

Hey man, pass the joint....

July 16, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |