July 16th, 2010

Manchin to name Carte Goodwin to fill Byrd's Senate seat

Carte Goodwin has been chosen to fill the late Robert Byrd’s open Senate seat.
Carte Goodwin has been chosen to fill the late Robert Byrd’s open Senate seat.

(CNN) – West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin will name Carte Goodwin to fill the late Sen. Robert Byrd’s seat until an election is held, a senior Democratic source tells CNN.

Goodwin, 36, served as Manchin’s general counsel from 2005 until 2009. He is a lawyer in the Charleston law firm Goodwin & Goodwin.

Manchin is expected to officially name Goodwin later this afternoon. A date for a special election still needs to be set, but it could occur as early November 2. Manchin, himself, has expressed interest in running for the seat.

A spokesman for the governor declined to confirm Goodwin’s expected appointment.

Goodwin received his undergraduate degree from Marietta College and his law degree from Emory University.

Filed under: 2010 • Carte Goodwin • Joe Manchin • Popular Posts • West Virginia
  1. Frank Rizzo

Nice Choice.

July 16, 2010 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  2. Sniffit

He's going to obey the law as written in WV, so it should be very amusing to hear what the conservatard brigade invents to criticize it. Popcorn anyone?

July 16, 2010 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  3. served as Manchin’s general counsel

hello Blago, what should I do?

oh, you think naming my own general counsel would serve my personal purposes well

thank you Blago, you are the best at this game, I am learning fast

July 16, 2010 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  4. Big Al

I hope he will vote to extend unemployment benefits. I have been out of a job for 7 months and believe me, I'm hurting.

July 16, 2010 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  5. Bo

While I do not know Carte personally, I do know the entire Goodwin family, who have been involved in leadership and service in WV for quite some time. I feel extremely confident that Carte will bring a strong dedication to the people of West Virginia to the Senate, and will conduct himself with honor, pride, and integrity. CHEERS!!

July 16, 2010 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  6. paulbark

It'll be good to get another reliable Democratic vote in the Senate to replace Byrd.

July 16, 2010 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  7. J.D.

36? He's young enough to be Byrd's great-grandson.

July 16, 2010 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  8. Glenn Koons

If an election is held on Nov. 2, one never knows but that Capito might just surprise the Gov. if he runs for the seat.

July 16, 2010 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  9. Tim - Wilmington, DE

Yay. Good. Fine. Dandy. As long as he's a good, strong Democrat who doesn't putz around like Ben Nelson or Mary Landrieu, then all is well. I must say, I've been extremely impressed with what I've seen of Manchin and am looking forward to him blowing his opponents out of the water in November.

July 16, 2010 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  10. Victim of GOP Taliban

Too young and what about his experience or lack thereof? The Governor himself should run.

July 16, 2010 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |