July 17th, 2010

Vitter sorry for Maddow comment

Vitter is apologizing for a comment poking run at Rachel Maddow.
Vitter is apologizing for a comment poking run at Rachel Maddow.

(Updated with additional context)

(CNN) – Republican Sen. David Vitter apologized to MSNBC host Rachel Maddow Friday after jesting on a radio program that she only looked like a woman “a long time ago.”

“Regarding my remark during a radio conversation today, I apologize,” Vitter wrote in a letter to Maddow. “The hosts made their comment and I obviously chimed in. While we do not usually agree on the issues, I do not think you deserved that comment.”

Vitter’s comments came during an appearance on Rush Radio 99.5 in New Orleans Friday morning, during which the radio hosts joked about a high school photo of Maddow with long blond hair. The MSNBC host currently has short brown hair.

“Must have been a long time ago,” Vitter joked when the hosts said the photo portrays Maddow as “looking like a woman.”

Maddow has not responded to the comments.

Vitter is currently in a primary battle against former Louisiana Supreme Court justice Chet Traylor. Traylor told CNN Monday that while he had been considering a run since last summer; it wasn't until the last two weeks that he took another look at the race, after being flooded with calls urging him to run.

Should Vitter win that race, he will face Democratic Rep. Charlie Melancon in the general election. Despite a tumultuous first term, Vitter's favorability rating has remained high and Melancon has as yet struggled to gain serious footing.

Filed under: David Vitter • Louisiana • Popular Posts
  1. Mike in SA

Inappropriate...but funny.

July 17, 2010 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  2. AmericanFlag

What an ass. Who elected this clown?

July 17, 2010 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  3. bill

when it comes to rachael.vs vitter.rachael HANDS DOWN.NUF SAID.

July 17, 2010 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  4. bob bolin

I'm in Louisiana and despise this piece of trash. Unfortunately, the nitwit factor in this state is very high...so he will probably get re-elected. Even though he gets whores with the same name as his wife change his dirty diapers for him and has a batterer with an arrest warrant out on him in charge of Women's Issues. He is scum.

July 17, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  5. dick delson

another right wing imbecile. where do they find these CREEPS?

July 17, 2010 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  6. Scott

You people are truly pathetic. You are trying to protect someone who is loving every minute of this 'controversy' because it will probably double the 150 people audience she has. This is the best thing that has ever happened to her, and you dopes are acting as if your sister was assaulted.

July 17, 2010 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  7. Ardis

At first I couldn't recall why I remembered this man's name. Oh my gosh!! when I read the postings and remembered his claim to fame, it all came back to me. What a goofy B*$%#@D. I am an independent, but I often listen to Rachel Maddow for general information. Her IQ is probably twice that of the fine Senator from LA.

July 17, 2010 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  8. nathan

Vitter is more familiar with hookers anyway.

July 17, 2010 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  9. Jon, MI

Ah yes, time for the usual round of comment. Republican: Obama is a socialist, send more people to fight socialism. Democrat: *whine and pout* I hate Republicans so much, this one was mean. Christ, don't you people get how repetitive you sound?

July 17, 2010 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  10. Elizabeth

My husband and I both agree that Rachel is extremely intelligent, insightful and engaging. Her ability to report and analyze the story without getting herself in the way of it is unique to television today. We enjoy her show immensely. We also think she's a very attractive and personable young lady. Vitter? Who the bloody h*** is he when he's at home and who cares a fig what he thinks about anything?

July 17, 2010 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  11. Ron

Why the apology? Liberals say they wish George Bush was assassinated, Dick Cheney dies of a heart attack, Rush Limbaugh abuses pain pills, and don't see anything wrong when David Letterman speaks of banging her teenage daughter or Family Guy makes fun of her Downs Syndrom baby. And Liberals say Republicans are classless? Well I got news for you – Rachel Maddow looks like a toad and I don't see any reason to apologize.

Republicans need to get some kahunas and say "Yes I said it and I'll say it again!!". Republicans try to apologize when they may have "offended" but liberals don't give a tiny rats behind. So Rachel Maddow is an ugly nasty woman and so is Pelosi. There – I said it and I am not taking it back...........

July 17, 2010 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  12. GT

That's ok...he looked like a woman a long time ago too.

July 17, 2010 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  13. Peter s

Holding everything else CETERIS PARIBUS, as a journalist this lady's is brilliaint, engaging, and someone who does her home work. She is always ready to admit MY BAD we did a mistake there and I APOLOGIZE, and most importantly she doesn't involve herself with bar romour talks like the other dude in fix news who mixes truth and lies like gin and tonic!!

July 17, 2010 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  14. Change in Georgia

I wish Rachel would run for Senate seat because she will beat
    the Republican....

Rachel run for senate

July 17, 2010 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  15. simon

Offensive on so many levels. I hope she invites him on her show to talk about it.

July 17, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  16. Jack

What's going on with the Republicans lately? They're all having meltdowns. A stupid comment like this just reveals who Vitter really is. And this coming from some morally corrupt yahoo.

July 17, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  17. Bruce

Once again right wing radio brings out the worst impulses in its guests - largely due to the the set by its hosts. When will the networks stop selling out to cheap sensationalism. Never mind, I know the answer.

July 17, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  18. Dirty Harry

Hey Horkus mac, Rachel works for MSNBC, not CNN, if you can't get your lies straight, like most republicans, at least get who she works for straight. Stop watching fixed noise and look at other stations that at least give both sides of a story and don't manufacture lies like fixed noise does. They cannot even report a story the way it actually happens. They have to change things around. Listen to fat bouncing boy limburger and see how racist his rants are towards the president on a nightly basis. Too bad he didn't od on his candy he was taking, then we would not have to listen to the crap that comes out of his porker every night!

July 17, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  19. The Dude

How does that shoe taste, Mr. Vitter?

July 17, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  20. Mike 71

It looks like Senator Fidelity of Louisiana has stepped in it again! A man whose name features prominently in the guestbook of the madam of a house of prostitution should not cast aspersions on others. In an era of "Family Values," hypocrisy does not serve as a campaign advantage. Lets hope that former Justice Traylor is successful in his endeavor to rid Louisiana of one more of its many political embarrassments!

July 17, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  21. cspurgeon

What a pig. Go buy some more hookers Pig! I can't believe he is a Senator...oh Louisiana right..

July 17, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  22. Nursehope

Every time Republicans put their size 12's in their mouths, the brighter the light shines on their dying party.

July 17, 2010 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  23. derek

Just love these cowardly apologies. Take no responsibility for his own words. It was the hosts' fault, he just chimed in.

July 17, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  24. Mike Hawk

Rachel was hot then and is now... Vitter on the other hand is tired, all around.

July 17, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  25. Tony NoLa

While she is on the streets in Afghanistan, he is on the air making comments like that.

July 17, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |