July 19th, 2010

Palin's dawn of refudiation

After using an unrecognized English word in a tweet, Sarah Palin is borrowing a page from Shakespeare's book.

(CNN) – Former Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin has joined the pantheon of politicians who've made their own additions to the English language.

The former Alaska governor has added to our vocabulary with "refudiates" - assumedly an amalgamation of "refute" and "repudiates." Palin used the new word in a Sunday posting on Twitter that called on Muslims to denounce plans to build a mosque and community center near Ground Zero in New York City.

The original tweet was deleted and replaced with another that lacked "refudiate": "Peaceful New Yorkers, pls refute the Ground Zero mosque plan if you believe catastrophic pain caused @ Twin Towers site is too raw, too real."

Although she deleted her original tweet, Palin is not distancing herself from her new word. Instead, Palin is embracing it and turning to none other than Shakespeare to justify her linguistic invention.

"'Refudiate,' 'misunderstimate,' 'wee-wee'd up.' English is a living language. Shakespeare liked to coin new words too. Got to celebrate it!" Palin tweeted Sunday as the blogosphere started to criticize her for a gaffe.

She alludes to former President George W. Bush's famous utterances of "misunderstimate" during the 2000 campaign and President Barack Obama's use of "wee-wee'd up" to describe Washington's penchant for getting worked up over controversy.

Palin's original tweet remains missing from her Twitter page. Some of Shakespeare's works are lost too.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin • Twitter
  1. drill baby drill

A dummy like Bush but he won twice (she's not beyond cheating also) so watch out!

July 19, 2010 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  2. tcaros

She's a use'n that GW Bush charm. Mince the language and look the fool.

July 19, 2010 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  3. Unsympathetic

Sarah Palin is a living joke.

July 19, 2010 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  4. Holly Golightly

Hey jeff jackson in alabama–the correct English grammar is "more quickly", not "quicker", buddy.............

July 19, 2010 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  5. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I don't like this fusing of words. If she can't get a proper spelling before she puts it into Twitter, then maybe she should not be "tweeting" at all. I wonder if she took any English language classes while she was going to college (any of the 4 schools in 5 years if I remember correctly). It seems as if she is following a bumber sticker I saw: "They can send me to school, but they can't make me learn." It seems that she is like that.

July 19, 2010 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  6. Laverne

Is anyone surprised?? Sarah Palin is not the brightest bulb in the pack, she has been winging it for the past few years. Nothing intelligent ever comes out of her mouth. When I think of Sarah Palin, simple minded is the best description I can come up with.

July 19, 2010 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  7. Grondahl

Palin: There. And...Send! Now to wait for the angry Muslamic peoples to get all wound up in a tizzy.
    Time passes.
    Advisor: Uh, Mrs. Palin?
    Palin: Who in Land's End Outlet stores are you?
    Advisor: I'm your spell-checker, Mrs. Palin.
    Palin: Did I hire you?
    Advisor: No, but Michael Steele insisted I shadow everything you do.
    Palin: Well isn't that a boot to the bear's chop. Whatcha doin' in my office, there hey?
    Advisor: Your last post, Mrs. Palin. "Refudiate" is not a word.
    Palin: What are you, some sort of Harvard-educated elitist come down from your Ebony Tower of knowledges to make the little guys, the Real 'Mericans, the hard-working Heartland folks...
    Advisor: Mrs. Palin, please, I don't have a camera, and you're not on TV, and please, don't mock my Harvard education.
    Palin: Well, whaddya know. Kinda got carried away there.
    Advisor: I recommend that we post a new entry, but without the, uh, charmingly ignorant word combination.
    Palin: Sure, sure, whatever floats your bridge. But make sure you keep the anti-Muslim sentimentation.

July 19, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  8. normajean

ORLANDO PATRIOT. You say the president;' has never had to be a leader'. OBVIOUSLY IF YOU WERE ABLE TO READ you would know that wasn't true. I'm sure as a Senator he had a wee bit of leading to do ...Incidentally after your diatribe against him ,I can tell you aren't too successful in your life which is why you unsuccessfully tried to put PRESIDENT OBAMA down. People who do this and those who make up stupid names for him are showing in print,not who he is,but who they are..the losers of the world , the first to complain about what the other guy is doing. Join the gang patriot..!

July 19, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  9. ELR

I pray she runs for President.....just blows my mind how many dumb people there are in this country. YES, if you follow this woman in any shape, form, or fashion, I call you just as DUMB as she is. The same people voted out the 1st Bush, only to put in his son...how DUMB as that?!!!

July 19, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  10. Anonymous

"Ground Zero Mosque supporters: doesn't it stab you in the heart, as it does ours throughout the heartland? Peaceful Muslims, pls refudiate," Palin tweeted, according to reports."

This quote just shows Palin's true ignorance. Putting Muslims in the same category as terrorist is just plain dumb, not to mention is stirs the pot for all those ignorant supporters that can't tell the difference. This is like lumping all Christians in the same category as fundamental Mormans. OMG!

July 19, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  11. Zach

Mrs. Palin, may I offer a word of advice? Please do not compare yourself to William Shakespeare until you've written a literary marvel.

July 19, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  12. YankeeI

What country was it that had 57 states? How many corpsemen do you lefties think there are in the military? I guess that's what you learn at Harvrd!!

July 19, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. bcrunner

@Jason: You've got to be kidding us! You are trying to compare her to President Obama in intellect?? And, there would have been a lot less spending? Did you forget what congress did under Bush? And, you are sure she would not have continued his policies and the bailouts?? How soon we forget....

July 19, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  14. NJ_Bill

She is throwing raw meat out to her base – notthing more and nothing less...

This issue – along with immigration and several others – show up the pervasive racism of this Tea Bagger movement and these words are just a wink and a nod that "it is OK for all of us to feel that way". Oh yes, we are kind people but please stay out of our sight if you want to conduct your heathen religious services...

Personally, I am raging mad and offended that this idiot has latched onto this issue. I was standing in Manhattan on 9/11 watching the towers burning and the jet fighters overhead – Palin wasn't. I was in this city almost every day thereafter, healing and feeling with these people. She wasn't. She has no idea what she is talking about but says this crap to fire up people like her who don't think, who hate, and who define America from their narrow minded unitary perspective.

I only allow Palin in my consciousness for entertainment sake – how can anyone consider this very very limited person a leader is way beyond me.

NJ Bill

July 19, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  15. SueEllen

To quote Keith Olbermann: "The woman is an IDIOT!"

July 19, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  16. once upon a horse

"Palin's out there FIGHTING FOR THIS NATION SHE LOVES" and just happens to get over 12 million dollars for doing it.
    @ WARNING WAKE UP AMERICA...I think YOU are the one who needs to wake up.LOL

July 19, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  17. Jules

This is sheer stupdity at it's best. Is this what we need as part of our political community? I don't think so. Palin is a joke at best (just watch SNL on this one). It's time to start beating the bushes (no pun intended) again for some kind of hope in leading this country. I've just about given up.

July 19, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  18. mfhpr

I agree that she will probably blame all of this on the so-called "lame-stream" media she has coined and comically denounces. Gotta love this woman that knows nothing but make millions off the crazies...

July 19, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  19. sicantired

Okay.Enough.No more.Stop.Let this be the end.What will be next?Politicos sperm counts and Hot Flash numbers.Are we this lame?

July 19, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  20. GODZILLA1

People listen – she will be the 2012 presidential nominee for the GOP. It is already locked up, just as was Goldwater's nomination in 1964. All that remains is for the last remaining moderates in the GOP to be driven out at the convention, as was done to Scranton and Rockefeller back then. There are enough ignorant cretens in Iowa and the other early primary states to give her the momentum she needs and again, you can take it to the bank, she WILL win the nomination in two years.

July 19, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  21. 1969er

I fully support Sarah's efforts to pit American against American, and even to make up new words in the process. While it may seem rather sad, in fact, this will be the best gift to Democrats in November when sane independents wake up and realize that those like Palin and those who fawn over her may well be back in power if they do not vote, so they will, and they will vote for Democrats. Like Jesse Helms, Sarah Palin is the best thing to come along in years for the Democrats. Great fodder. Keep it up, Sarah. We love you!

July 19, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  22. Rob in Warwick

she knows what she knows and has no interest whatsoever of knowing anything else.

bad enough if you already have a tremendous wealth of knowledge and have that attitude, but when you match that attitude up with her intellect.....wow. scary.

July 19, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  23. Barney

That's what you get for going to five different colleges and then quitting your elected position as governor–confusiation. LOL!!!

July 19, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  24. Tony on the River

So what? Palin made another "verbal fart."
    I'm impressed that she has watched at least one episode of Jeopardy, "Authors who make up words...for $100, Alex...who is Shakespeare."

July 19, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  25. JM

It is an insult when the group who wants to build the Mosque is involved with radical Islam. Do some research on the Cordoba Initiative outside of their website and find out the truth.

July 19, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |