July 19th, 2010

State secret: Chelsea Clinton's nuptials

Chelsea Clinton's wedding plans have sparked intense speculation.
Chelsea Clinton's wedding plans have sparked intense speculation.

(CNN) – With less than two weeks before 30 year-old Chelsea Clinton's wedding to longtime friend and beau Marc Mezvinsky, 32, on July 31, speculation over the details of the big event has reached a frenzy.

Asked by NBC's Andrea Mitchell on Sunday, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would not disclose even a hint at the guest list saying, "It is hers, and it's a family wedding. The people coming are her friends and people that have been meaningful in her life, as it should be."

Media reports have Clinton and Mezvinsky tying the knot at the former estate of John Jacob Astor, Astor Courts in Rhinebeck, NY. Local businesses have fueled the speculation, with one local florist, Lynn Lobotsky, telling CNN that "about a month ago, they started working around the clock on the stone wall along River Road," the road that leads to Astor Courts. "They even worked on Sunday," she said.

Secretary of State Clinton underscored the emotion of the event during her interview with Mitchell. When asked about her husband, former President Clinton, she said, "You should assume that if he makes it down the aisle in one piece, it's going to be a major accomplishment." Earlier this month, Clinton told the Associated Press that "It's a very happy time for my family. ... It truly is the most important thing in my life right now."

Most of the details for the nuptials remain secret, said Secretary of State Clinton, "I'm under very strict orders not to talk about it and I think for the right reasons." The same appears to be true for a host of vendors who may or may not be involved in planning the event. When CNN called a Chappaqua, NY florist rumored to be involved in the planning, the owner of the business immediately took the phone from her subordinate and said, "I have no comment for the media."

Stay tuned.

1. Get A Grip

Can't wait to see the price tag on this wedding. Wonder if it will be as obscene as some I've seen.

July 19, 2010 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  2. S. Monterroso

Soon Chelsea will be "Mezvinsky", doesn't that sound like "Lewinsky"?

July 19, 2010 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  3. Marie MD

Congratulations Chelsea and Mark. Chelsea, you have grown up to be someone td be emulated. You parents made sure you grew up to be a well rounded person with good moral values and educated.

This will be the wedding of the year unlike the trailer trash shindig that is going to occur somewhere in the backwoods of AK in a hurried wedding in six weeks.

What a difference education and good breeding are.

July 19, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  4. Ron in california

I wish Chelsea the best. But can't stand Dad. And Mom is doing much better than I expected in her job. We shold have elected her instead of BO

July 19, 2010 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  5. thor

I bet she will have no problem finding employment !!!

July 19, 2010 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  6. Whatever

CONGRATULATIONS (in advance) CHELSEY!!!!!!!!!! May God bless your marriage!!!!!

July 19, 2010 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  7. Whatever

CONGRATULATIONS (in advance) CHELSEA!!!!!!!!!! May God bless your marriage!!!!!

July 19, 2010 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  8. Steph

I wish them well. Now, I hope the media leaves them alone on their special day.

July 19, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  9. Victim of GOP Taliban

Wow give the girl some privacy already. It's bad enough the Neo-Con jerks made ridiculed her for 8 years in the 90's.

July 19, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  10. normajean

Chelsea, There will be those unhappy people without heart nor soul who will strain their intelectual abilities to write" wise acre "comments wherever possible., The rest of us wish you a beautiful life in your coming marraige and years of great experiences.Your linage shows that you will have a good,solid life with lots of fun. Congratulations to you both.

July 19, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  11. ST

Good luck and all the best Chelsea. You have been a good model all ladies should follow. Your parents deserve to be proud of you.

July 19, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  12. a little sad

I hope it is beautiful and that the ceremony has all the privacy and intimacy that the couple wants.

July 19, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  13. Marilyn's Keepsakes

The hype is just growing more and more fervent by the day! As much as I'm dying to hear about all the lavish details and A-list attendees, I do wish Chelsea some privacy on her big day.

July 19, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  14. Jim in Florida

wedding details in the political ticker? right....

July 19, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  15. Joyce in South Carolina

I hope the media gives the happy couple the privacy they deserve.

Blessings to both of them for a long life together.

July 19, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  16. ehwilson429

will she marry her mother?
    same sex marriage is quite the DC/NY thing.

does Hillary have to divorce Bill for this to happen?

July 19, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  17. Ed L

Sorry, but this is not political news any more than the "wedding" of Palin..... YAWN

July 19, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  18. sunny

Who cares about who is getting married and who isn't half of celebrity marriages last a year and then they get divorced.

July 19, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  19. Larry

Madam Secretary and Chelsea,

I still haven't got my invitation. Just thought I'd let you know.

July 19, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  20. Crazy Harry

I guess since I didn't get an invitation, that I won't be attending.

July 19, 2010 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  21. Bev

Congratulations to the Clinton and the Mezvinsky family-all the best!

July 19, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  22. JWN

Best wishes to bride and groom and their families!

July 19, 2010 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  23. Tony 140

Good for Chelsea. She was a great little girl and is a very impressive young woman. All the best for her and her husband.

July 19, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  24. Tim

Keep Bill away from the bachelor party for his son-in-law.

July 19, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  25. Elizabeth

Chelsea Clinton is a private citizen – not a vapid Hollywood starlet. Can't she just have a private wedding like other private citizens enjoy?

July 19, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |