July 20th, 2010

First things first for Sen. Goodwin

Washington (CNN) – Newly sworn-in Sen. Carte Goodwin, D-West Virginia, cast his first vote on Tuesday to end a Republican filibuster of a bill extending unemployment benefits, but the 36 year-old has another pressing issue.

"First and foremost, I need to find a place to live," Goodwin quipped to CNN.

Turning serious, Goodwin added, "My priority every day will be to get up and work as hard as I can to protect West Virginia families."

And what is the meaning behind the name Carte - a stylish name that conjures up the people of history that his predecessor Robert Byrd was so fond of quoting? Goodwin told reporters it's his mother's maiden name.

Filed under: Carte Goodwin • West Virginia
  1. Barack.Hussein.Obama-America's-Incompetent-DICTATOR

Why can't he sleep in his office like that Republican House member? He can shower in their fancy exclusive gym where he can be berated by a naked Rham Emmanual!! Come out "Carte", suck it up and save us some money...

July 20, 2010 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  2. Sniffit

Cry GOPers Cry
    Make us sane ones sigh...

July 20, 2010 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  3. Rick McDaniel

Gee......and here I thought he was just a robot in the political machine.......or is he?

July 20, 2010 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  4. Willy Brown

Like a good mind numb lackey will will serve his master well.

July 20, 2010 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  5. vwrtb

Dictator obama? I just thought he had the power of veto... Can you ignorant and shameless republicans come up with anything with substance!

July 20, 2010 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  6. Larry

Nice job Sen. Goodwin.

July 20, 2010 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  7. Wisconsinite

@ the fool who thinks President Obama is a "dictator"

Actually quite a large number of REPUBLICAN House members & Senators get to sleep (at a nice big fat discount) at a little place called "C Street". Ever hear of it? Probably not . .. .they don't like to talk about that too much on Beckie and Limpalls shows.

July 20, 2010 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  8. Dean

Great, just what we need. Another liberal partisan lackey.

July 20, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  9. Really?!?!?

@ Barack.Hussein.Obama-America's-Incompetent-DICTATOR

I don't know whether to laugh or wretch at your comments. All talking points, never facts.... Care to present some at some point so people on the boards can achieve some sort of mental stimulation aside from anger? Probably not, your s/n sums it up. "Dictator" is not so suiting, I mean, it's not like he passed legislation allowing the NSA to listen in on our private conversations, or enacted a "sneek and peek" act.... Where were you when that was going on?

July 20, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  10. norma

Thank you Senator Goodwin!

July 20, 2010 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  11. get real

Manchin

Goodwin

Sound like James Bond Characters, don't they?

Anywho, Good job Sen. Goodwin!

July 20, 2010 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  12. Four and The Door

His first week in the Senate and he's already helped add $35 billion to the national deficit to pay people not to work. He's catching on quickly to Obama's main economic plan and he will be a good Democrat!

July 20, 2010 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  13. Albo58

Yet another Dimwit goon that was NOT put in office via the ballot box!

July 20, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  14. Naqib

I'm hoping they give each of us 10 Million... why not?... not like they know how to pay for it anyway...

Nov will be so much fun... Dems wrecked the country in 4 years... 48 months is all it take for America to be sickened by the hand out crowd

July 20, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  15. Michelle

So, adding $35 billion is not okay but fighting an endless war is? Continuing the tax cuts for the rich is? Feeling sorry for the poor little oil company that has created one of the largest environmental disasters is? I know there are every day people out there just barely making a living that are Republicans, how is that possible? Don't they know that their party doesn't give a hoot about their "itty bitty" little problems?

July 20, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  16. Michelle

Oh, and by the way, I take great offense to anyone who thinks I'm unemployed by my own choosing! I have been steadily looking for a job for an entire year. I'm either over or under qualified for every single position I've applied for. And I'm not just going for the positions that are equal to what I lost, I'm applying for warehouse jobs and retail jobs too! And just FYI: Try living on less than $400./week for over a year with no other source of income before you judge people receiving unemployment. That money can just barely keep me afloat here in Wisconsin!

July 20, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |