July 20th, 2010

Sherrod: White House worried about Glenn Beck

(CNN) – Shirley Sherrod, a former USDA employee who resigned after a controversial video surfaced, told CNN Tuesday that members of the Obama administration "harassed" her and demanded she resign her post immediately.

In an interview with CNN, Sherrod said she repeatedly fielded calls on Monday during a long car ride, during which officials insisted that she pull over to the side of the road and quit her post.

"They asked me to resign, and, in fact, they harassed me as I was driving back to the state office from West Point, Georgia yesterday," Sherrod told CNN. "I had at least three calls telling me the White House wanted me to resign…and the last one asked me to pull over to the side of the road and do it."

Update, 4:36 p.m.: A White House official tells CNN's Suzanne Malveaux the White House was not involved in pressuring for a resignation: "The White House did not pressure her or USDA over the resignation. It was the Secretary’s decision, as he has said.”

Sherrod said the final call came from Cheryl Cook, an undersecretary at the Department of Agriculture. Sherrod said White House officials wanted her to quit immediately because the controversy was "going to be on Glenn Beck tonight."

Related: Ex-worker: USDA 'wasn't interested in hearing the truth'

Filed under: Popular Posts • Shirley Sherrod
  1. Save America, impeach the treasonous republicans

When people begin to bow down to the little moron at Fox, I can only say to them, "Beck U!"

July 20, 2010 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  2. Sanjoy

Who hired this goofball?

July 20, 2010 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  3. GL

It was the right thing to do becasue you allow you racist views toward whites keep you from helping out some one that needed your help period. I do agree that their are racist in the black race as well as the black race. I have repeatly said that most people black or white over 50 harber some time of racist within and this is why President Obama looks toward the young generation to help him turn this country around because they don't have many racist hang ups are their parents do.

July 20, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  4. T

The issue happen in 1986 what is your point ?

July 20, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  5. Barack.Hussein.Obama-America's-Incompetent-DICTATOR

Asked to resign??? Are you kidding me??? Her racist comments and admission of racist action against a white farmer were GROUNDS FOR IMMEDIATE FIRING!! She should also be prosecuted for violating the farmer civil rights. I hope he sues.

If she was white and said this she would have been fired on the spot.

July 20, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  6. GL

It was the right thing to do becasue you allow you racist views toward whites keep you from helping out some one that needed your help period. I do agree that their are racist in the black race as well as the WHITE race. I have repeatly said that most people black or white over 50 harber some time of racist within and this is why President Obama looks toward the young generation to help him turn this country around because they don't have many racist hang ups are their parents do.

July 20, 2010 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  7. rkekahba

It does appear that the White House reacted to this news too quickly and, if so, should apologize to Shirley Sherrod.
    Perhaps the White House has learned a lesson

July 20, 2010 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  8. J. Richter

This is not the fault of Glenn Beck. This is on the millions of gullible Americans that follow his hate crusade. Just like the Acord doctored tapes, Glenn was going to make hay and fortune again on this one – even if it happened 24 years ago and it was spliced out of context.

July 20, 2010 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  9. Jimbo (The Real One)

Sounds like a "bitter" ex-staffer to me. The idea that anyone in the White House could be worried about Glenn Beck is comical...

July 20, 2010 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  10. Colorado Liberal

The USDA is an almost worthless bureaucracy–like the Minerals Management Service. Like many Americans, I am so disgusted with the corruption of Washington and Corporate America.

July 20, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  11. educated american (legal)

If GBeck was a problem- why not refute his claims with facts?

yeah- i'll wait....

July 20, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  12. Brigham

Thats hilarious. Tell us more PLEASE.

July 20, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  13. Randy

This is not the whole story. They should leave her alone. This is not the first time that somebody in government, black or white has made a bad call. How many of us "good ole boys" would react the same way if some uppity white man tried to belittle us?

July 20, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  14. Obama = Phail

Am I wrong on this? I always assumed the Government SHOULD fear the people, not people fearing the Government. I guess people are finally begining to understand that.

July 20, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  15. sammieb51

Why isn't Barton being asked to step down from his energy committee (or senate position) for his apology to BP? And this woman has to resign because bezerkobeck is gonna rant on her - consider that a compliment. I hear he is ranting about God and religion now - what we all supposed to quit our churches now because beserko said so? Dems need to quit caving to this insanity coming out of the right. Maybe when Dem leadership does so the GOP playbook will cave in - they are betting on folks only hearing what they say and not paying attention to what they do. On a day when the Tea Bags had to disavow one of their leaders, this story had to make the news, right!?

July 20, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  16. hope?

Yikes. I'd be far more worried about what the White House is doing than Glenn Beck.

Intimidation and threats from those that have power are far worse than anything Glenn Beck can do.

July 20, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  17. Shawn

If the white house or anybody else listens to what Glenn Beck has to say.... they need to have their heads examined.

July 20, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  18. J in Denver

She needed to resign and Glenn Beck has nothing to do with it.

July 20, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  19. The Other Micheal in Houston

She should have been fired. As an African American, I am appauled by her comments. Thanks Shirley, let's just keep giving the racist more ammunition to be racist.

July 20, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  20. T

Glenn Beck is nothing but white trash. He needs to go live with his sister Sara. They both are evil.......just tell all of the evil that larks around the corner like Beck and Palin to get behind you devil.......She
    Shirley Sherrod is working with FOX...... why she did not say anything about this issue in 1986. I SMELL A RAT......... and the beat goes on!

July 20, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  21. Shawn-Ga

Why is it she said these things in MARCH and the NAACP had nothing to say about it until it was aired on radio and TV? They cannot say they were unaware... it was an NAACP event she was speaking at. The NAACP is learning fast and I surmise will get further lessons on why people should not throw stones unless they are sinless. (Glass houses are apropos as well)

July 20, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  22. felicia

And she needed to resign President Obama is not a racist and he doesn't condone it. People need to get their mess together because my President is doing a great job and doesn't need people like her dragging down his administratoin.

July 20, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  23. Brian

Not hearing the entire tape I do not have the context of this whole story but beyond the statement, it was the delivery and the apparent retributory stance that made it seem very cruel if it was in fact delivered in the context in which it was assumed to have been delivered. She needed to choose a different story to tell and be more sensitive to the racial undertones. I am glad she quit bad judgement is bad judgement regardless of the race.

July 20, 2010 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  24. Pamela McGregor

Of course, she should. Her remarks were insensitive. The Tea Party guy wrote his idiotic letter and he had to resign. If her conscience so bothered her, go to a priest. Some bureaucratic she is; probably just waiting for a pension. Her 15 minutes of fame are gone; I hope no one interviews her.

July 20, 2010 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  25. angella current felder

What a shame and disgrace that the White House staff and undersecretary of USDA would succumb to racist tactics and the increased polarization by forcing Mrs. Sherrad to resign without due process and documentation of the whole situation. She should be reinstated immediately. It is evident that since the election of President Barak Obama, the right wing in this country, though not a majority ,have displayed their racism under the guise of political opposition to issues via The Tea Party and others. I'm surprised by the NAACP and Roland Martin's reactions to Mrs. Sherrad's presentation without having all the facts before them. Based upon what I have heard from her at this point in time her termination is not merited and the action is an over reaction on the part of USDA which has had a history of discrimination against black farmers and what appears to be an inability to recognize racism for what it trully is. Perhaps the real issue is not what Mrs Sherrod may have stated 20 years ago as she discribed in her presentation at the March, 2010 NAACP local event, it is that she was appointed to an important governmental position that under her leadership would benefit low-income and racial ethnic farmers.

July 20, 2010 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |