July 21st, 2010

Poll: Only 4 in 10 say Obama deserves re-election

A new poll released Wednesday indicates that 48 percent of the public thinks Obama doesn't deserve a second term in office.

Washington (CNN) - Nearly half of all Americans think President Barack Obama does not deserve re-election in 2012, according to a new national poll.

A Quinnipiac University survey released Wednesday indicates that 48 percent of the public thinks Obama doesn't deserve a second term in office, with four in ten saying he does deserve to be re-elected. By a 52 to 34 percent margin, Independent voters say the president doesn't deserve re-election.

Thirty-six percent of people questioned in the poll say they'd vote for Obama if the next presidential election were held today, with 39 percent saying they'd cast their ballot for the Republican candidate. Thirteen percent say their vote depends on which Republican would be facing off against Obama and 12 percent say they are undecided. By a 37 to 27 percent advantage, Independents say they'd vote for the Republican candidate.

"In politics, a month is a lifetime and we have 28 months until November of 2012. But politicians with re-elect numbers at 40 percent bear watching," says Quinnipiac University Polling Institute assistant director Peter Brown.

The Quinnipiac University poll was conducted July 13-19, with 2,181 registered voters nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 2.1 percentage points.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll conducted in late March indicated that Americans were divided whether they'd vote for Obama or an unnamed GOP contender.

Surveys taken more than two years out are not always a great indicator of what will happen down the road.

"Keep in mind that only 38 percent thought that Bill Clinton deserved re-election in 1994, but he went on to win a second term," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "And just a year before the 1992 election, 57 percent thought that the elder George Bush deserved to be re-elected, but he lost his bid for another four years in the White House."

Filed under: 2012 • Polls • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Glen Shouse Jr.

These polls are garbage. I can't speak for all of America but I do know that none of these polls can speak for me because nobody has ever polled me.

July 21, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  2. T'SAH from Virginia

YOU BETTER WATCH THESE POLL NUMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a PERFECT example as to who they are polling??????????

I think you should SPLIT your polls among RACE!!!! It is very obvious you are not polling minorities and/or other people of COLOR!!!!!

"...four in ten saying he does deserve to be re-elected..." Were half of the 10 people you mention people of Color??????????

I have NEVER been polled in my life and I live in a neighborhood that resembles my skin tone and they have never been polled either!!! What's up with that?

July 21, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  3. Bob, Virginia

These sort of polls are meaningless - the field of possible Republican opponents, no matter how broad you make it, is full of clowns, losers, hacks, and retreads.

July 21, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  4. Edna

People are fickle. President Obama has worked ferociously to help the American people and this country to get on the right track, yet people seem to forget what shape we were in. Are people listening to the Republicans and what is in store for them if indeed they allow them to take over the reins again? Personally, I could care less. My circumstances don't change whether a Democrat or a Republican is in office. I just hate to see people be so foolish. Republicans are a bunch of nasty liars. They could care less about anyone but themselves and those who have money. So, I say, let them back in and see how the people who claim they want fiscal responsibility run this country. They have no intention of changing. President Obama is at least attempting to help the people and that is what it is all about. I am so sick and tired of people calling him names that he does not deserve. He is a good man, a good husband, a good father, and a good President. I am thankful that I got the chance to see what a real President with morals really looks like. God Bless America!!!!

July 21, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  5. witch56

I will vote for President Obama again! He has had a tough job and is doing a tough job. Thank you Mr President!!!!!!!!!!!

July 21, 2010 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  6. A Florida Resident

Quoted from the above story:

JUST IN CASE IF YOU MAY HAVE FORGOTTEN, 1994 WAS THE YEAR THE DEMOCRATS LOST BOTH THE SENATE AND THE HOUSE IN THE NOVEMBER ELECTIONS.

Obama’s poll numbers are at 36%. I can't wait until November 2.

July 21, 2010 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  7. charles gay

God Help us all if Obama gets another term. I think he might yet be impeached, but then we have Joe and maybe Nancy. I am 85 years old and this is the scariest time I have ever lived through. CVharlie

July 21, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  8. Jane

Add me to that list. When he was elected people thought they were getting Vince Lombardi they got Bart Simpson instead.

July 21, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  9. zago

Call me a fool, he who will, but I havent heard of any successful president in terms of policymaking like president Obama since FDR or L. Johnson. In 18 months only: Health Care Law extending coverage to about 97% of Americans, Stimilus Bill to keep states and local governments afloat, Education Bill and Today, Financial Bill (a Landmark parallel to Glass Steegal enacted in 1934). He is supposed to be a president with common sense, no a miracle worker. He manages to keep the economy going. One would tell me that we came out from the great recession stronger, but i will tell you that it took a longer time to come out of the great recession even when the American economy (arguably was the only vibrant economy thriving at that time given that Europe was devasted). Then came the WWII that stoped production altogether in Europe and left America as the world supplier of anything of economic relevance. Now that America is trying to get out from a deeper problem given that all of the major aconomies in the world facing similar problems that America is facing and they all fighting for the fair share of the recovery unlike in the past, they were at war and America (fairly to say at work). If this president is not considered as a successful one, I wonder what a successful president should look like in modern times?

July 21, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  10. JFK

Peoples expectations were far too lofty for this president and to expect him to move mountains was just unrealistic. But as agendas go, he has actually done a lot this last year so far. When you consider that he has a lot on his plate, he has helped pass Health Care Reform, Bank Reform, and Wall Street reform. None of which would have happened with a Repuplican in office.

Republicans still dont get that we cant tax cut our ways out of this mess. Thats why we borrowed so much money from the Chinese to fund our two wars and budget spending with Bush in office before the crash even happened. Then we give tax cuts to the wealthy during the Bush years and we know that didnt turn out so well. Didnt seem to stimulate the economy to help us then.

Thats some bad math no matter how you spin it!!! This man got a thankless job and is wrong no matter what he does. God Bless him to lead a thankless self centered nation.

July 21, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  11. Ohio

Let's use common sense. Nobody likes a bully. All Obama, Rude and Piglosi have done is beat up on middle class Americans and ram their agenda down our throats without even giving the elected Republican officials a say in what's going down. NO MORE BULLIES!

July 21, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  12. Fair is Fair

I'm actually surprised it's that high.

Meanwhile, queue up the "I only have a cell phone", "I wasn't polled", "My friends weren't polled", and the ever popular "Polls are nice" from Dominican Mama.

BTW, Dom Mom... don't know why you took a swipe at me yesterday. NEVER did I ever comment that you were "butchering" the English language. Stuff like that is just not my schtick... 'kay?

July 21, 2010 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  13. That's the same thing CNN said when Obama was running back in 2008.........

A poll conducted among conservatives who were retired at home and could answer phone calls all day. The majority of our country does not fall within that demograhic. The poll is flawed..............

July 21, 2010 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  14. marcus (seattle)

i'm a democrat.. i voted for obama... and, as things stand now, if he is running for re-election, i just won't be voting for president..

July 21, 2010 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  15. NC

This Independent is voting for President Obama.

July 21, 2010 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  16. BlackBarbie

I didn't know you guys were fortune tellers, who does the poll say will win in 2012 cnn,

July 21, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  17. Rick

He is still a racist, call him the TAN TAX obama racist, he doesnt deserve to live in the USA as musch as he has ruined our kids lives, get rid of him

July 21, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  18. J Farrow

The Q poll is complete nonsense. Obama is doing exactly what he said he would do and what he was elected to do. I predict no matter who the Republicans run against him in 2012 that Obama will win in a landslide (just like Clinton is 1996). The American voters are more fickle than I thought.

July 21, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  19. Shaun

President Obama has done more for the average citizen in this country than any of this recent predecessors. He has passed financial reform, health care, and a plethora of other laws that protects Americans... ALL Americans. He has done more in 1 1/2 years, than many presidents can accomplish in eight and we are taking him to task for what? Because some media outlets lead us to believe that what he has done has not been in the interest of the country? When will the politics stop and we put AMERICA first?

July 21, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  20. Amir Goy

Incredibly, this poll reflects the fact that most voters still don't understand that their 'choice' is basically between two 'different' wings, joined at the hip... of the same War Party. Why 'elect' either one?

July 21, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  21. I don't understand

I think he's doing an okay job.

July 21, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  22. No Bama

"4 in 10 people think Obama deserves re-election" . Wow, I thought it would be much lower. I guess there are still some people out there that live under rocks.

July 21, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  23. Dean

Poll: Only 4 in 10 say Obama deserves re-election..................................................And it's all Bush's fault.

July 21, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  24. gt

thats allot more than i thought would vote for him... take away the naacp, acorn , act up and a few other extreme far left groups , his numbers would of be in the teens.... he is a disaster...no jobs ..little hope... and troops dying every day... yep.. teens is about right...ugh

July 21, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  25. Rick McDaniel

4 in 10? That's being generous in my view.

July 21, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |