July 22nd, 2010

Former Nevada Governor Kenny Guinn dead

(CNN) - Former Nevada Gov. Kenny Guinn, who also served as chairman of the Republican Governors Association from 2004-2005, passed away Thursday at the age of 73. Following Guinn's death, Nevada Gov. Jim Gibbons ordered flags at state buildings to be lowered to half-staff. Guinn was elected governor of Nevada in 1998 and reelected in 2002.

Guinn passed away Thursday morning after falling from the roof of his home. The Clark County Coroner has not announced a cause of death, and an autopsy will be conducted tomorrow, family friend Billy Vassiliadis confirmed to CNN.

Read a statement from RGA vice chairman Tim Pawlenty after the jump.

Republican Governors Association Vice Chairman Tim Pawlenty issued the following statement on the death of Governor Kenny Guinn, who served as RGA chairman in 2004-2005:

"Kenny Guinn was that rare type of politician – a true statesman – who had the respect and admiration of all his colleagues. He had a warm and gentle nature, and always put the people of Nevada first. He will be remembered as one of the finest governors in the history of the state.

Kenny was a true friend and will be missed by the many of us who were privileged to know him.
His wife, Dema, and sons, Steve and Jeff, are in the hearts and prayers of all of us."

Filed under: Nevada
  1. a little sad

RIP Governor Guinn.

I voted with the Nevada Dems, but you were a good guy.

My condolences to your family.

July 22, 2010 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  2. Naqib

Rest in Peace..
    Bless your family

July 22, 2010 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  3. Dia

I'm a democrat but i have to accept that Kenny Guinn was the best governor this state has ever had. He has been missed since the other guy stepped in. My heart and prayers go out to his family and friends, may he rest in peace.

July 22, 2010 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  4. Rebecca of Fernley

Kenny Guinn was a great governor and truly had the heart of the people of this state in mind with every decision he made. I am a democrat, and I voted for Kenny – his command presence knew no political party borders. He was simply: one of the good guys.

July 22, 2010 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  5. Kenday

Rip

July 22, 2010 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  6. LVRachel

The best days Nevada has seen in a long time were with Governor Guinn in charge. He was a true class act. Shame that he couldn't run for a 3rd term. My condolences to the Guinn family, may he RIP.

July 22, 2010 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  7. Anonymous

RIP Governor Kenny Guinn

July 22, 2010 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  8. David O

God bless you Kenny Guinn
    I lived in Nevada when you were Governor. Although I an left leaning, I always thought you were a great Governor as you did what was best for all of Nevada regardless of party lines.
    Rest in peace and thank you for your service to the State of Nevada.

July 22, 2010 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  9. windhog

Kenny Guinn's death is so sad. I live in Nevada and, although I am a democrat, I have always thought that he was a very decent, honest person and a fabulous governor. Not anything like the current disaster we have been forced to endure. I was very sad to see the flags in front of my office at half staff.

July 22, 2010 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |