July 22nd, 2010

Bill Clinton ahead of Obama, says poll

A new poll suggests former President Bill Clinton is more popular among Americans than President Obama.

Washington (CNN) – A new poll suggests that former President Bill Clinton is more popular with Americans than the man who currently holds the job, President Barack Obama.

Sixty-one percent of people questioned in a Gallup survey say they have a favorable opinion of Clinton. That's nine points higher than the 52 percent who say they see Obama in a favorable light. The poll indicates that 45 percent say they have a favorable opinion of former President George W. Bush.

Gallup says this is the first time in their polling that Clinton's favorable rating has eclipsed that of Obama. Clinton's numbers are up nine points from the summer of 2008, when he was branded by many people as playing a too partisan political role in helping his wife during her bid for the Democratic presidential nomination against Obama.

According to the poll, Obama's 52-percent favorable rating with the public ties his lowest number (in March of this year) since taking over in the White House in January of last year.

The poll, which was released Wednesday, could prompt the Democratic party to tap Clinton even further during the midterm election campaign, as the party tries to hold onto its majorities in Congress and its lead in governorships. The country's 42nd president has already been successful this year in helping Democratic candidates win contests in Arkansas and southwest Pennsylvania.

The survey indicates that Bush's favorable rating is up ten points since he left office at the beginning of 2009.

The Gallup poll was conducted July 8-11, with 1,020 adults questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus four percentage points.

–Follow Paul Steinhauser on Twitter: @psteinhausercnn

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Polls • President Obama
  1. xtremetransdr

Wow! Given a lot of criteria I thought it might be a tight race

July 22, 2010 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  2. King Kong

I guess CNN has nothing better to do, but to conduct a everyday polls on the president ...I know there's plenty of important news to report...I think people are really getting sick of this Polls on who is popular and who's not...come on and anyway how and who do you asked these questions....i never seen you conducting polls in my neighborhood, or calling me on my phone....maybe your polls is BIAS!!!!
    Check Me!!

July 22, 2010 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  3. T'SAH from Virginia

And yet ANOTHER so-call NEGATIVE story about President Obama and poll numbers!!!! You know, enjoy it while you can because it will not be long before you are FORCED to show the POSITIVE!!!

July 22, 2010 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  4. cheryl

hindsight is always 20/20

July 22, 2010 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  5. SkiDoc

Goodbye "O" – the game is up. The public sees you for what you are – a fast-talking socialist. November can't come soon enough!!!

July 22, 2010 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  6. Anne-Marie

Not surprising, Bill Clinton has always been more popular than any sitting president. If there wasn't a term limit, he would probably still be in office!

July 22, 2010 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  7. Proud Worlverine

Obviously yet another trumped-up poll to help make OBowMao look good – no way more than 40% of the population even LIKES Barry these days ! Just the liberal sheeple / nutjobs.

July 22, 2010 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  8. Jane

To be honest with you, I wish we could put Bill back in the white house. He would have this country humming along beautifully in no time at all. God, I love that man!! Best prez I will ever see in my lifetime.

July 22, 2010 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  9. Realistic

I can not understand why people are so critical of President Obama. If one sits down and removes their political blinders and consider that under president Obama we have a 90% employment rate. Yes, 90% employment rate is a good number as far as employment rate goes. I do feel bad for 9.5+ people who are unemployed but 90% of the work force of the United states are employed. Something to consider when discussing employment rate vs. unemployment rate.

July 22, 2010 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  10. Donna

NO surprise here. Clinton was 'bought out' by Bush in driving one of the last nails in the country's coffin by signing NAFTA into law. (When it all began, NAFTA was Bush Sr.'s 'baby'.)

I sincerely doubt, and certainly pray that the majority of Americans (remember when there was actually a middle class), are not suffering from a collective case of amnesia!

It would appear the the neo-con members of the mostly wealthy GOP (and their Wall Street friends) are counting on it. Such blatantly dishonest propaganda they are floating is glaring proof positive that they don’t have anything else.

July 22, 2010 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  11. Dave

I really cannot think of why anyone would want the job of President of the United States. It is a thankless job. You are supposed to be the most important person in the world and you are being told what to do by some idiot like Bachmann or Palin. There isn't enough money in the world to make me take that job.

July 22, 2010 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  12. dennis

Like we need this guy who likes to get it dick sucked back in the office. WHERE ARE YOURE MORALS...

July 22, 2010 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  13. Proud member of "Global Zero"

It is so much easier to rate a past President. Their work is done. President Obama is still on the job. I will work for him through the next election. I really want to know who gets polled and how they chose to poll these people.

I was called once for a poll. After a few general questions they asked me where I worked. When they found out I worked in the education sector, they thanked me and hung up. I guess my job did not meet their standards for any more questions.

July 22, 2010 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  14. Fair is Fair

Now this is interesting.

I always had a theory that the reason that Hillary didn't win the nomination was because of "Bill baggage".

Same theory on why BO didn't select her to be VP and chose the buffoon that he did, under the guise of his "foreign policy experience". Really??? Were that the case, why didn't you make HIM the country's #1 foreign diplomat? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Call me crazy, but I still say she's going to challenge him in '12.

July 22, 2010 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  15. Chris (Sacramento CA)

The end of the great one is near. How is that hope and change coming for you liberals? Obama is a joke and will be a one term president.

July 22, 2010 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  16. gary

So? We have over two years to go before the Presidential election and it's unlikely that Republicans will come up with a credible candidate. The economy will begin to straighten out, unemployment will go down, and Obama will continue to work to improve the country and pass legislation. Gallop is routinely off in its polling and it often comes up with these meaningless polls. Why does CNN feature this as it's top ticker story???

July 22, 2010 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  17. Chuckster

You know this is really too bad. I think President Obama really is trying hard to make things work but, he passed a stimulus bill that Americans were very much against because big business has been raping the population of America for years and it was time for their reckoning but, he saved them. Then there is the Health Care situation that Americans also were leary of, All of us were going to pay up for the poor and the illegals in this country as well as being raped by the Health Care Field. Then there was the 2nd stimulus package to add to the first. This really pissed of the American Public because he is supposed to do THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE IN WHICH HE TOTALLY DID THE OPPOSITE. HES GONE AND WILL BE THE 1ST PRESIDENT IN MANY YEARS TO BE A ONE TERM WONDER. GOOD BYE DEMOCRATIC PARTY AND MR. OBAMA.

July 22, 2010 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  18. Sasha

Who does this polling? No one I know, nor myself have ever been polled. Depending upon what company does the polling and how the questions have been asked can affect people's responses. Do a story on skewed polls. I'm sure Bush's rating hasn't gone up. Why don't you guys do this polling story in election year..not two years away!!

July 22, 2010 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  19. Monrob

Hillaary Clinton should have been President. Our loss.

July 22, 2010 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  20. TheTraveler

I would vote for Bill Clinton if he ran for another term. Despite some "rocks" in the road for him, Lewinski and Whitewater, I thought the man did a very credible job.

Run, Bill, run!

July 22, 2010 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  21. Chipster

This proves 2 things: 1) Bill Clinton is still very popular and 2) the American people are still terribly ignorant about how government works. He has served 2 terms and cannot be President again. He cannot even be VP because the VP must qualify to be President.

It's no wonder the Fox GOP TV finds it easy to mislead so many people. Their story about Sherrod is but one of hundreds of stories they've fabricated, manipulated, distorted, and then disavowed. Today, they're pretending to be shocked at the revelation that they had nothing to do with their story that was pure baloney!

Vilsack should be embarrassed but so should everyone else who actually thought Fox GOP TV would offer accurate information.

July 22, 2010 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  22. Dominican mama 4 Obama

My father was more popular than my mother in our household the reason being that Mom was the one keeping us in line and making all of the tough decisions.

I like Bill, but he's NOT the one in charge.

Apples and Bricks.

July 22, 2010 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  23. Kentucky

Obama could learn alot from Bill Clinton

July 22, 2010 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  24. JES

Two liars together dosn't that just bring a tear to you eyes.

We are a sick bunch of people out here who vote for people like this.

July 22, 2010 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  25. Philip

How about the pope vs. obama? lebron vs. obama? how's lincoln's favorable ratings trending.

what a bunch of junk. compare apples to apples. clinton's mid first term versus obama's or don't bother.

July 22, 2010 09:25 am at 9:25 am |