July 22nd, 2010

Sherrod offered new job, but says she is not so sure

(CNN) - A former Agriculture Department employee who was forced to resign from her job based on incomplete and misleading reports of a speech she gave has been offered a new job by Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, but said Thursday she is "not so sure."

"I'm not so sure that going back to the department is the thing to do," Shirley Sherrod told CNN's "American Morning."

Sherrod said she was offered some type of civil rights position in the department's Office of Outreach, and that she was expecting to receive something official in an e-mail from the department. She said Thursday she had not had a chance to see that yet.

But "I would not want to be the one person at USDA that's responsible for issues of discrimination within the agency," she said. "You know, there's a lawsuit by black farmers, there's a lawsuit by Hispanic and Native American and women farmers ... There are changes that would need to happen in order to once and for all really deal with discrimination."

Full story

Filed under: Agriculture Department • Shirley Sherrod • USDA
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

The choice is clearly hers to make. I wouldn't feel comfortable working in that branch of government anymore. I honestly think she needs to file a lawsuit against Fox and the racist guy who made it for defamation of character. She will win BIG!!!

July 22, 2010 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  2. JonDie

I would love to be on the jury that awards Sherrod a huge monetary award against BigGovernment.com. Breitbard clearly committed intentional defamation of her character with malice and forethought.

July 22, 2010 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  3. lost in Texas FOREVER

Mrs Sherrod is a very noble woman. If I were her I would take the time off to find a very good lawyer to sue the HECK out of FoxNews and the pond scum blogger that started this mess in the first place. Perhaps respectable journalism will retunr if she makes that move.

July 22, 2010 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  4. Dominican mama 4 Obama

P.S. Ms. Sherrod, DON'T take the job. I thnk something more suited to your abilities and desires will surface.

They knee-jerked you OUT of a job, don't accept their first KNEE-JERK job offer in their attempt to make amends.

July 22, 2010 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  5. gary

She's right. The cause of this incident was a man who knew how to get his message out and didn't care if he destroyed the life of another human being. This was callous, reckless, and racist. He should be sued big time!

July 22, 2010 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  6. Jack

It's time for Breitbart to personally AND publicly apologize to Sherrod. Step up to the plate ,Andy. Do the right thing. The cameras are waiting.

July 22, 2010 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  7. Paul from Phoenix

She should give this administration the middle finger, write a book, and hit the lecture circuit. Obama and his administration treated her pathetically, why should she allow them to look like the good guys in the end?

July 22, 2010 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  8. Marty, FL

Shirley Sherrod is a wonderful example of rising above conflicts to do the right thing. God bless her.

Shame on the wicked doers (Breibart – tea partiers & Fox propaganda) who tried to defame a story of grace & dignity.

July 22, 2010 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  9. A Florida Resident

There is no doubt that this woman was coerced into resigning her position. However, I have a feeling that greater scrutiny of her will diminish her "victim" status. She is not a person that I would want to represent an issue that I was supporting.

July 22, 2010 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  10. Baby Boomer

If I was Mrs. Sherrod, I contact the best attorney I could get and file my defamation lawsuit against the website/blogger as quickly as possible. As for the job, I would take it for now. She was doing good work so no reason to stop now. Can't let some nut job take you off course...

July 22, 2010 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  11. FM

If she is not sure of whether to take the job or not, I think there are millions and millions who are jobless, energetic, young, ready to fill the vacancy.

July 22, 2010 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  12. Dis-gusted

I think one thing Shirley Sherrod has accomplished. She has taught this administration to always check their facts before they act. i do believe their apologies are all very sincere, so I think she should not refuse to take her job back if she wants it. Just think how much more love she will be receiving from those who acted hastily. She can be proud of getting that "lesson" out there......always check the facts. Dick Armey;s Tea Party folks are "shady" characters.

July 22, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  13. lost in Texas FOREVER

Mrs Sherrod needs to do the American thing........and that is SUE EVERYBODY IN SIGHT!!

July 22, 2010 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  14. Susan

Can you imagine the furor at Fox had MSNBC found some damning video of say, Palin, and run it without checking it? Why has this died down so fast? Fox instigated and fed this horrible lie, and then they easily turned it back into a White House mistake. Somewhere, Karl Rove is grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

July 22, 2010 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  15. ABM

Good. I hope she sues him, FOX, Hannity, Beck, and anyone who called her character into question or defamed her. Take them to the poor house. This should be a lesson to them not to do that ever again.

July 22, 2010 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  16. Kevin Collins

Doesn't really make a lot of sense: If she were wrongly terminated, then why not just give her back *that* job?

July 22, 2010 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  17. Judy

Let me get this straight, a guy from the tea party and fox news collaborate to defame Ms. Sherrod, and it's the presidents fault for not preventing the problem? John Roberts put it out there this morning. Let's see what else we can blame on him. I am just about to turn the whole news cycle off in my house. Unbelieveable garbage!

July 22, 2010 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  18. ATL Guy

Sue both Breitbart and Fox News for slander, defamation of character, libel and anything else you can sue them for. If you don't sue these people, then they continue to do things like this. ACORN needs to sue before the statute of limitations is up because then these people get off scot free without being corrected. There's a reason why we have courts – to protect you when you're hurt and compensate you to make you whole. Ms. Sherrod stands a chance of making the most money in her lifetime from this case and in the meantime bankrupt Fox News.

July 22, 2010 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  19. thor

It's a shame that the press is giving Obama a free pass on this story.This lady was told that the W.H. wanted her to leave her position because they were afraid the video would show up on Glenn Beck on the Fox network.Now, the administration is saying they were not involved and the press says"Ok" Move on , end of the story!!!So how much money was paid to Tom Vilsack to fall on the sword?

July 22, 2010 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  20. Oy Vey Az

She ought to sue everyone in sight. Starting with that little substandard hotdog that produced the fraudulent video.

July 22, 2010 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  21. Kirk1

I totally agree that she was terminated in haste. However, I am getting more upset with her appearing on all these different networks. She is appearing to attack the Obama administration instead of attacking the person who used her as a pawn.

July 22, 2010 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  22. Chessnutz of Liverpool NY

The more I listen to Shirley the more I admire her and the more I admire her ability to handle crisis.
    She has never once blamed anyone, never shown how hurtful this was to her and her carrer. You listen and what I hear is a strong, hard working, an expert in her field, a professional and the work ethic that every American would be proud of.
    I think Shirley should invest in some very good sunglasses because her future is looking very bright.
    Thank-you Shirley for your years of sevice to the farmer of America.

July 22, 2010 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  23. cspurgeon

I am sure she isnt. She is trying to make up her mind who and how much to sue for. Its all about money honey and thats why this country is going to the dogs,

July 22, 2010 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  24. Sally

So Fox "news" gets away with another successful smear campaign...first Van Jones, then ACORN, and now this. And even when they are caught manufacturing outrage and horror, they blame the White House. The lengths to which the right will go to smear this administration are unbelievable. Rove is proud...I am appalled that this kind of idiocy passes for journalism, and that Fox touts their numbers and everyone meekly follows their lead. And the right pretends to be worried about the plans Obama has? I'd say the far right talkers are doing a fine job of dumbing down this country to mold it into their little fascist plot just fine. Wake up, America. If we allow this to continue, we deserve the rich white male theocracy they are planning.

July 22, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  25. Lucas Breen

This just goes to show that you can't trust FOX News. It is not news. It is purposely edited to embarrass mainstream politicians and confuse Americans about the issues. There is a reason it is called FAUX News. The only thing the Obama administration needs to apologize for is believing something FAUX News said.

July 22, 2010 10:30 am at 10:30 am |