July 23rd, 2010

Gonzales: 'I feel angry'

Washington (CNN) - In his first interview since the Justice Department said it decided not to charge Alberto Gonzales in the controversial firings of nine U. S. attorneys, the former U.S. Attorney General said he is angry about the investigation process.

"Well I feel good, John. I feel angry," Gonzales told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King. "I feel angry that I had to go through this; that my family had to suffer through this and what for? It was for nothing. I'm glad the investigation is over, and I'm glad the American people were reassured that nothing wrong happened during my tenure as the attorney general in connection with the removals of these U.S. attorneys."

Attorney General Eric Holder has accepted the "recommendation that criminal prosecution is not warranted," according to a letter sent to the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.

The question as to whether the dismissals were made for political reasons led to a huge controversy in Washington. Gonzales ultimately resigned.

Asked on CNN's John King, USA about the political climate that existed in Washington at the time, and criticism of the Department of Justice under his management, Gonzales said he doesn't expect any apologies.

"Listen I don't expect an apology from men like Chuck Schumer, and I would put him and other individuals who were attacking me at the top of the list contributing to the low, low public perception of Congress, the integrity of Congress quite frankly."

And while Gonzales said he is taking a wait and see approach to the controversial Arizona immigration law, he did say that the Republican Party outreach to the Hispanic community must change if Republicans expect support from that crucial voting block.

"I think it is important that not only do you have the right message to the Hispanic community, you've got to have the right tone in delivering that message and you have to have the right messenger."

"I firmly believe, based on my observations of working with George Bush, he was the right messenger to the Republican Party. And listen, Hispanics didn't agree with everything that George Bush stood for, but I think - I honestly believe that he cared about their issues, he wanted to understand their issues. And until the Republican Party has a standard bearer like that, I'm afraid we're going to have some difficulties in future elections," he said.

Filed under: Alberto Gonzalez • JKUSA • John King USA • Popular Posts
  1. colorado

Wait a minute! This is over his firing of attorneys? Recall how many the Clinton administration fired????? I think it was ALL of them. Go check it out!

July 23, 2010 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  2. thr2

Maybe nothing wrong happened with the attorney firings, I don't know, but all the other crap done from 2000 – 2008 is a whole other story. I would rather see him prosecuted over torture which there is no excuse for.

July 23, 2010 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  3. Ted

He got caught, but somebody (not him) was obviously smart enough to stir up the waters enough to keep him from being charged. Kind of like that traitor Karl Rove and outing a covert operative during a time of war. They and their sycophant defenders should all go to Texas and stay there.

July 23, 2010 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  4. gravee

I am suprised he remembers being angry? Was it on his calender to be angry? He was always so forgetful. Will he remember being angry tomorrow?

July 23, 2010 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  5. MikeH

I too am angry that Gonzalez will not be prosecuted for for his part in the Republicanattempt to overthrow the Constitutional Democracy of the United States.

But mostly I am angry that the Obama Administration has, in a string of recent events, shown that it lacks the spine to stand up to the Republican facists, has enabled and empowered them, has failed to dismantle the Republican facist infrastructure put into the military and national security, and has, I believe, set the stage for the return of the Republican facists to power to complete their conversion of America into the Fourth Reich.

The world will suffer dearly when this happens.

July 23, 2010 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  6. fartlicks

stupid mexicans. check his papers and send him away to his vile country.

July 23, 2010 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  7. Kme

Note that every single conservative post in this thread has the word "liberal" in it as a perjorative slander. Get your own ideas, dittoheads!

July 23, 2010 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  8. John

I wonder if Abu Gonzalez and other Republicans were so 'angry' over the endless costly investigations of Bill Clinton's personal life.

July 23, 2010 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  9. tffl

The DoJ deciding they didn't have enough evidence to indict is not the same as concluding "nothing wrong happened during my tenure", just like being found "not guilty" is not the same as being found "innocent". As a lawyer, Gonzales knows this, but he's playing the spin game same as his old bosses...

July 23, 2010 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  10. GI Joe

I'm angry too that they wasted their time on YOU instead of the lead henchmen Bush/Cheney.

I hope Cheney doesn't get a heart from a human – I hear pigs hearts are being tried. Might be a better fit.

July 23, 2010 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  11. Jim

Gonzales will go down in history as the American AG that totally disrespected America and the Rule of Law by twisting OUR Constitution upside-down and back-wards in order to protect those who torture criminal suspects, just like in the damp, dark, dirty third-world lawless prisons of Israel and Iran.

Gonzales = America's little Mexican type "Hitler" wannabe.

Mr. Gonzales, you are very lucky that Mr. Obama refuses to restore America's "Rule of Law" and "JUSTICE", which you and Bush systematically destroyed, or your little law-breaking, constitution attacking, torture endorsing behind would be in PRISON making Big Bubba happy!

July 23, 2010 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  12. jim in fort worth

I remember this liar lying to Congress saying "Senator, I have search my mind and i just can't recall".....Give us a break....you remembered everything! you just lied about it!

July 23, 2010 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |