July 23rd, 2010

Gonzales: 'I feel angry'

Washington (CNN) - In his first interview since the Justice Department said it decided not to charge Alberto Gonzales in the controversial firings of nine U. S. attorneys, the former U.S. Attorney General said he is angry about the investigation process.

"Well I feel good, John. I feel angry," Gonzales told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King. "I feel angry that I had to go through this; that my family had to suffer through this and what for? It was for nothing. I'm glad the investigation is over, and I'm glad the American people were reassured that nothing wrong happened during my tenure as the attorney general in connection with the removals of these U.S. attorneys."

Attorney General Eric Holder has accepted the "recommendation that criminal prosecution is not warranted," according to a letter sent to the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.

The question as to whether the dismissals were made for political reasons led to a huge controversy in Washington. Gonzales ultimately resigned.

Asked on CNN's John King, USA about the political climate that existed in Washington at the time, and criticism of the Department of Justice under his management, Gonzales said he doesn't expect any apologies.

"Listen I don't expect an apology from men like Chuck Schumer, and I would put him and other individuals who were attacking me at the top of the list contributing to the low, low public perception of Congress, the integrity of Congress quite frankly."

And while Gonzales said he is taking a wait and see approach to the controversial Arizona immigration law, he did say that the Republican Party outreach to the Hispanic community must change if Republicans expect support from that crucial voting block.

"I think it is important that not only do you have the right message to the Hispanic community, you've got to have the right tone in delivering that message and you have to have the right messenger."

"I firmly believe, based on my observations of working with George Bush, he was the right messenger to the Republican Party. And listen, Hispanics didn't agree with everything that George Bush stood for, but I think - I honestly believe that he cared about their issues, he wanted to understand their issues. And until the Republican Party has a standard bearer like that, I'm afraid we're going to have some difficulties in future elections," he said.

Filed under: Alberto Gonzalez • JKUSA • John King USA • Popular Posts
  1. inofritzn

This finding won't get in the way liberal fantasy

July 23, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  2. j

maybe he should be waterboarded, if he thinks he had it so bad

July 23, 2010 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  3. Gil

I'm angry too that they didn't throw the book at he obviously political decision to fire the AG who clearly wouldn't be bullied by the bush administration policies and a man who never should have been president!

July 23, 2010 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  4. Independent_me

He did do wrong...they just decided that they were too scared of Rush Limbaugh to follow through...

July 23, 2010 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  5. Mesa Mick

Who care is the Justice Dept. doen't want to investigate farther – they are just protecting one of the own.

Bottom line there Gonzo...You were Bushie's lacky and stooge then and you still are now.

As for what you were "put thru" well that's just a sample of the misery you caused for so many others while workin' as the hatchet man for that war crimanal Bush. You deserve it....

July 23, 2010 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  6. Ancient Texan

There was never any doubt that the "investigation" of the AG Gonzalesand the process of firing 9 U.S. Attorneys, when President Bush could have legally fired all of them for any reason he chose to, was a political lynch job by the Democrats for political gain. The fact Bill Clinton fired all 100 of them because he chose to caused no undue concern except by those that wire fired. Politics in Washington today stinks to high heaven.

July 23, 2010 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  7. Tulsa

I'm angry too. You should be in prison.

July 23, 2010 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  8. S Callahan

Profound.....and the reason for Tea Partiers!

July 23, 2010 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  9. Bill

This guy was an arrogant, incompetant putz. How long did it take him to find a job after he left DOJ? About a year and a half. Most former AG's can write their own ticket, but not his clown (and there is a reason) for that). I think he is teaching somewhere.

July 23, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  10. Gayle

The Republicans and Democrats and the media are like my pre-schoolers. A bunch of babies..

July 23, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  11. NVa Native

"has accepted her recommendation that criminal prosecution is not warranted," just means that either there isn't enough proof or that it just wasn't sleazey enough, it doesn't mean or even imply that these Bush taodys are innocent!
    Gonzales is a sleaze.
    We all know Bush/Cheney ordered the firing of REPUBLICAN lawyers that wouldn't sacrifice their integrity for by conducting their dirt-bag un-American tactics of targeting Democratic polticians. So go cry me a river.

July 23, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  12. jim

A.G.Eric Holder needs to be impeached for some of the things that he is doing in his job.Gonzales hasn't done anything to warrent the treatment that he received at the hands of people that have the mindset of people like Holder.!!

July 23, 2010 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  13. Joanne Michels

They may not be prosecuting but any intelligent American knows that you broke the law.

July 23, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  14. Laughing Jack

Oh, come on. This criminal expects people to feel sorry for him? Everybody forgetting his condoning of waterboarding and of trashing civil liberties? There are plenty of reasons he should be in prison.

July 23, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  15. Mark B.

What, no apology form Reid, Pelosi, or the president himself? This man is Latino and ythat gesture could get you many votes.

July 23, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  16. Ben in Texas

Alberto, the fact that you got off doesn't mean you did no wrong. The report didn't say you did no wrong, even. It means you have powerful friends and that people in government are reluctant to prosecute former high officials. It means you are lucky.

A criminal, no doubt. But lucky.

July 23, 2010 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  17. Moab

Wack job liberals on a witch hunt – what a big surprise. Don't expect any grace given to the arrogant chump we have running the country now. Obama is so inept he makes Bush look brilliant.

July 23, 2010 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  18. rdepontb

"I feel like a rat. I feel ashamed. I hope the American people now forget all of the illegal, unethical things I did for the Bush administration." That's what he meant to say. Fantasy?

July 23, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  19. Jeff - Austin, TX

Your're angry? You have perverted the Constitution, bent the law and were the waterboy for the reactionary-right. You, sir, are a little man in a big man's world. America is less safe and secure because of your blatant disregard for the rule of law. There is a special place for your ilk in hell. Enjoy.

July 23, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  20. independent

He should get off his high, 'aggrieved' horse. Not enough evidence to prosecute does not mean, innocent. The man nearly destroyed the impartiality and credibility of the entire Justice Dept. He should be doing community service, not complaining about 'treatment'.

July 23, 2010 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  21. Allen in Hartwell GA

It's obvious that Gonzales knows that he did wrong, and the fact that he isn't going to be prosecuted doesn't change anything. When Bush could have fired the attorneys just because he could, why did he ask the AG to drum up phony excuses to fire them?

July 23, 2010 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  22. Brian

What's this guy guilty of? Sodomy?

July 23, 2010 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  23. independent

This guy is a weasel.

July 23, 2010 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  24. Bill Carney

It's always all about politics! Mr. Gonzales should be thankful he resigned from the AG position before he could have gotten his incompetent self into even more trouble ......... he's not very bright!

July 23, 2010 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  25. Brian Orlando

All Republicans feel is anger and it leads to hate (See Yoda quote). Then they complain that the educated say they are all about hate which it turns out that they are!

July 23, 2010 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |