July 23rd, 2010

Gonzales: 'I feel angry'

Washington (CNN) - In his first interview since the Justice Department said it decided not to charge Alberto Gonzales in the controversial firings of nine U. S. attorneys, the former U.S. Attorney General said he is angry about the investigation process.

"Well I feel good, John. I feel angry," Gonzales told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King. "I feel angry that I had to go through this; that my family had to suffer through this and what for? It was for nothing. I'm glad the investigation is over, and I'm glad the American people were reassured that nothing wrong happened during my tenure as the attorney general in connection with the removals of these U.S. attorneys."

Attorney General Eric Holder has accepted the "recommendation that criminal prosecution is not warranted," according to a letter sent to the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.

The question as to whether the dismissals were made for political reasons led to a huge controversy in Washington. Gonzales ultimately resigned.

Asked on CNN's John King, USA about the political climate that existed in Washington at the time, and criticism of the Department of Justice under his management, Gonzales said he doesn't expect any apologies.

"Listen I don't expect an apology from men like Chuck Schumer, and I would put him and other individuals who were attacking me at the top of the list contributing to the low, low public perception of Congress, the integrity of Congress quite frankly."

And while Gonzales said he is taking a wait and see approach to the controversial Arizona immigration law, he did say that the Republican Party outreach to the Hispanic community must change if Republicans expect support from that crucial voting block.

"I think it is important that not only do you have the right message to the Hispanic community, you've got to have the right tone in delivering that message and you have to have the right messenger."

"I firmly believe, based on my observations of working with George Bush, he was the right messenger to the Republican Party. And listen, Hispanics didn't agree with everything that George Bush stood for, but I think - I honestly believe that he cared about their issues, he wanted to understand their issues. And until the Republican Party has a standard bearer like that, I'm afraid we're going to have some difficulties in future elections," he said.

Filed under: Alberto Gonzalez • JKUSA • John King USA • Popular Posts
  1. Pedro

Your angry ? You must be joking... Our government is being destroyed (bankrupted) by lobbyists and pork barrell politics and your angry ? Your race card doesn't play either, "illegal" immigration regardless of race is also destroying our country.

July 23, 2010 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  2. Lori in St Pete

I'm angry too alberto. You should be doing the perp walk. That being said, when the JD drops the investigation, the appropriate thing to do is go away quietly and never publicly speak of it again. Otherwise someone might start looking at you again, and the JD may not be so kind next time around.

July 23, 2010 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  3. Reese

Liberals using the law to ruin families for political reasons – happens every day. Lower life forms are few and far between. DOJ didn't have anything after all that waste of effort and money. Just ruin peoples lives and move on because you politically disagree. Evidently Jeff in Austin is one of the pack of dogs like these people.

July 23, 2010 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  4. I feel ANGRY that you are not in prison

I feel angry that former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales will not go to PRISON.
    For that I am angry.

July 23, 2010 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  5. I feel ANGRY that you are not in prison

For that I am angry.

July 23, 2010 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  6. timd

Yep. He's your basic tool. Back in the toolshed with you. The republican party loves folks of low intellect because the controllers can dress them up in monkey suits and have them grind the organ and some of them actually are dumb enough to think what they are doing is actually for the betterment of the nation. This guy is a disgrace. I for one hope I never have to see another picture of this imposter of a man.

July 23, 2010 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  7. Brian

Ahhhh...the old common-denominator.... lol

July 23, 2010 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  8. malabar

Any nasty comments about this man are obviously made by racist democrats who spend their lives patronizing minorities into voting against their best interests and publicly lynching any minority that has enough brains, integrity, and human decency to not fall 4 democrats plan of eliminating freedom, individualism, and self sufficiency in America. racist evil violent hateful pigs. i knw, i'm a latino who was fooled by them 4 many years. GAY LATINO VOTING STRAIGHT REPUBLICAN NOVEMBER 2010

July 23, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  9. Brian

life in everday reality is wonderful.....ever since Clinton got me convinced to work 40 hours a week like every dog should. Nevertheless it is much better to be a live dog than a dead lion.

July 23, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  10. Bryan2010

Nice to see Gonzales, Rove and Bush completely vindicated by Holder's DOJ. He should be angry, given that the charges were completely unfounded to begin with. Unfortunately, we have to wait for the process to unfold before we can fully understand the Bush Derangement Sydrome that led to this witch hunt. Do the American people really want this kind of liberal bias at the head of the administration? Poorly executed at that!

July 23, 2010 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  11. Lou

They had nothing or the esteemed AG Holder would have proceeded with the case. I have to laugh. Just a bunch of talk by wild eyed libs.

July 23, 2010 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  12. Steve

Alberto should be dancing. By right accounts, he should be charged with corruption and crimes against humanity. Instead he gets to fade into history with TOADY stamped on his forehead.

July 23, 2010 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  13. awaitingliberalizationbyCNN

Every dope crazed, racist, sexist libertard that degrades and demeans every republican on these pages owes Gonzales and apology. This type of crap is an old democratic trick that goes back to Ray Donovan when Nixon was president. After he was cleared of all the false crap the libs laid on him, he said famously "Where do I go to get my reputation back?" You slimy libs need to think about it. There will be lots of investigations when this slimy, corrupt, inept union toady that is our current president gets booted out in 2012.

July 23, 2010 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  14. aatami

Angry? This dimwit ought to be bending over and kissing his a$$ goodbye on his way to federal prison. He ought to be feeling grateful because he just won the lottery.

July 23, 2010 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  15. JonDie

"I feel angry," Gonzalez told...John King."

I am angry that Alberto Gonzalez, George Bush, Donald Rumsfeld and George W. Bush are NOT in prison for their crimes against the people of the U.S. But that's life. Crimes in the U.S. pays because Americans are too stupid to see crimes.

July 23, 2010 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  16. Shoes

What about the families of the people whose careers he ended. What he did may not have been illegal, but what he did to them is what has happened to him. He used politics to remove people from their jobs and then politics cost him his job. What goes around comes around Alberto.

July 23, 2010 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  17. Ann in Ohio

@Moab July 23rd, 2010 5:42 pm ET

"Wack job liberals on a witch hunt – what a big surprise. Don't expect any grace given to the arrogant chump we have running the country now. Obama is so inept he makes Bush look brilliant."

Gonzo was Bush's butt buddy and did anything he wanted. Anybody with half a brain knows that. Bush was and is the most inept and worst President we have ever had and Ray-gan was a close second with his stupid one liners....

July 23, 2010 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  18. Stephanie

Who are you kidding Alberto? You were a patsie for the bush/cheney agenda. So be a man about the results & be grateful you're not behind bars.

July 23, 2010 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  19. Rickster

This investigation obviously was brought about because democrats are a bunch of bigots and racists.

July 23, 2010 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  20. Kalina

Is this what American living is all about , spewing hatred between Republicans and Democrats .
    No wonder your country is in such a mess.

July 23, 2010 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  21. sg

I'm angry this lying sack of dookie isn't in jail for at best obstructing justice, and at worst lying under oath.

July 23, 2010 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  22. Xtina

Wow – I can't believe Alberto is clean in this particular situation. I think Obama and his DOJ are beholden to people from the previous administration to an unhealthy degree – that maybe they are somehow blackmailing Obama or people in his cabinet. This is like the umpteenth person that will be slithering off scot free....

July 23, 2010 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  23. jim

You all miss the point. district Attorneys serve at the pleasure of the president. for whatever reason, if the president no longer wants your services, he asks you to leave. The president does not need to share the reason or even have reason. that is what is meant by serve at the pleasure of the president. Grow up, the investigation was a big big waste of money.

July 23, 2010 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  24. Mr Joshua

@Pedro

I hated the spending under the Bush Administration. Who is doing all the spending now? You can't lay this one on Bush or Republicans as they are totally out of power. You blame "pork barrel politics" and you are correct. I suggest you take a look at the so called "Stimulus" Package. And Charlie Rangel's charges. Schools named after him and everything! I just wonder what he did to make the school name itself after him? What do you think?

July 23, 2010 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  25. Margaret Anderson/Boise, Idaho

Mr. Gonzales has no more right to feel angry than the nine justices who were fired during his watch. He was shown more mercy than they were.

July 23, 2010 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |