July 23rd, 2010

Gonzales: 'I feel angry'

Washington (CNN) - In his first interview since the Justice Department said it decided not to charge Alberto Gonzales in the controversial firings of nine U. S. attorneys, the former U.S. Attorney General said he is angry about the investigation process.

"Well I feel good, John. I feel angry," Gonzales told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King. "I feel angry that I had to go through this; that my family had to suffer through this and what for? It was for nothing. I'm glad the investigation is over, and I'm glad the American people were reassured that nothing wrong happened during my tenure as the attorney general in connection with the removals of these U.S. attorneys."

Attorney General Eric Holder has accepted the "recommendation that criminal prosecution is not warranted," according to a letter sent to the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.

The question as to whether the dismissals were made for political reasons led to a huge controversy in Washington. Gonzales ultimately resigned.

Asked on CNN's John King, USA about the political climate that existed in Washington at the time, and criticism of the Department of Justice under his management, Gonzales said he doesn't expect any apologies.

"Listen I don't expect an apology from men like Chuck Schumer, and I would put him and other individuals who were attacking me at the top of the list contributing to the low, low public perception of Congress, the integrity of Congress quite frankly."

And while Gonzales said he is taking a wait and see approach to the controversial Arizona immigration law, he did say that the Republican Party outreach to the Hispanic community must change if Republicans expect support from that crucial voting block.

"I think it is important that not only do you have the right message to the Hispanic community, you've got to have the right tone in delivering that message and you have to have the right messenger."

"I firmly believe, based on my observations of working with George Bush, he was the right messenger to the Republican Party. And listen, Hispanics didn't agree with everything that George Bush stood for, but I think - I honestly believe that he cared about their issues, he wanted to understand their issues. And until the Republican Party has a standard bearer like that, I'm afraid we're going to have some difficulties in future elections," he said.

Filed under: Alberto Gonzalez • JKUSA • John King USA • Popular Posts
  1. Anonymous

It was time for the dems to put up or shut up. Since they didn't put up, then they should shut up.

July 23, 2010 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  2. Matt

@ Reese: "Lower life forms are few and far between". Wow...just...wow! You have successfully dehumanized (in your mind) anyone who disagrees with you. Congratulations! You're now just as crazy as the zealots we fight in the middle east!

July 23, 2010 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  3. Bill

July 23, 2010 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  4. George Bush

You're angry? WTF are you angry about? Look what they are sayin about me ... and I made this country strong ... and I killed Saddam ... and I let Bin Laden get away ... but I left that guy Obama a huge budget surplus ... yes I did. Man I am more angry than you. My puppet master is just not up to snuff these days to get out there and defend my administration. That makes me angry too.

July 23, 2010 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  5. Anonymous

what a joke this guy is, not very bright is he?

July 23, 2010 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  6. indyreader

"I'm glad the investigation is over, and I'm glad the American people were reassured that nothing wrong happened during my tenure as the attorney general in connection with the removals of these U.S. attorneys."

There are a damn lot of us who have been reassured of no such thing. Actively trying to politicize the judicial arm of the government – the check and the balance on executive over-reach – is blatantly wrong, no two ways about it. It's just that you got away with violating the total spirit of the law while managing to stay within the finest parsing of the letter of it. Shame on you, Gonzales.

July 23, 2010 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  7. Jamie from Riverside

Why would anyone apologize to this loser?

July 23, 2010 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  8. Rick

THE WOMAN IN CHARGE OF THIS WAS A REPUBLICAN PUT IN UNDER THE BUSH ADMINSTRATION. THE DEMS. SHOULD PUT THEIR OWN PERSON TO DO THIS. I SMELL A COVER UP.

July 23, 2010 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  9. Willy Brown

Only time the democrats like any Hispanic is when they are on their plantation.

July 23, 2010 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  10. Jacob

I see the left has nothing but hate and malice in their hearts after an entire thread of libel.

July 23, 2010 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  11. ed

please sir...spare us...you were a political hack, put in the position to be a political hack and you served our country shamefully....end of stiory...go home and just shut up.

July 23, 2010 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  12. AJ

It wasnt for nothing. Just because this slimebag wasnt charged doesnt mean he didnt do anything wrong.

July 23, 2010 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  13. ysidero

His chutzpah far exceeds his intelligence or integrity. He should be grateful for having gotten away with his incompetent and unethical conduct while in office – and just GO AWAY! I think Bush, Cheney, Rove and this clown should all be in prison, but I realize thats expecting too much from the good-old-boy legal system. Alberto, STFU. Thanks.

July 23, 2010 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  14. Djinn

"Not prosecuted" is NOT innocent, so get over yourself and enjoy your good luck.

July 23, 2010 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  15. LacrosseMom(the real one)

Mr. Gonzales, THIS IS THE UNITED STATES, we ARE a nation of laws!

You & the rest of the Bushies threw the Constitution under the bus, we, the People demand justice!

July 23, 2010 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  16. gary

ANGRY???? What about all the people he hurt because of his effort to cleanse the Dept of Justice of any fair-minded employees who actually upheld the Constitution? He has no shame or sense of responsibility. I'm sorry they didn't throw him in jail where he belongs.

July 23, 2010 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  17. Brian from NJ

@ Ancient Texan

You're right that Bush had the authority to fire any of the US Attorneys... and that Clinton fired 100... but Clinton did not do it because he chose to,,,he did to take the attorneys off the House Post Office investigation and he figured that if he fired them all it wouldn't look like he was protecting House Democrats, especailly Dan Rostenowski... The attorney investigating the case was about a month away from making his decision and the proverbial crap was about to hit the fan so the Dems covered themselves by removing all the attorneys, 93 of them, in one day

July 23, 2010 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  18. LMC

Gonzales ruined careers in order to have US attorneys that would only follow the party line. If it isn't illegal, it should be! At the very least, it was immoral. HOwever the Bush administration didn't care about people or what was right, only their own agenda.

July 23, 2010 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  19. gb0423

Reese July 23rd, 2010 5:54 pm ET

"Liberals using the law to ruin families for political reasons – happens every day."

absolutely Reese...exactly what the Liberals did to Valerie Plame and Joe Wilson when they...oops, wait a sec, that was "Cheney Gang" ....nevermind!

July 23, 2010 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  20. brendan

Well, Mr. Gonzales, if you lay down with the dogs, your going to get fleas.

July 23, 2010 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  21. ahetch

Isn't this the guy that when asked a direct question, couldn't remember anything ever? hahaha

July 23, 2010 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  22. larvadog

You of all people and as a former AG should know that investigations aren't for nothing. Unless investigations are conducted, we won't know whether a crime has been committed.

Duh.

July 23, 2010 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  23. Clark1b

it is so obvious that Gonzales was wrong and needs to go to prison ....
    it is just that the Judicial Department can't find any evidence of any wrong doing.... how incompetent can Holder be?

July 23, 2010 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  24. KImberly

UM, is he kookoo? The American people know FULL well he is as guilt as they come, not BEING charged and being found not guilty are not even CLOSE to being the same thing! jack a...

July 23, 2010 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  25. FoCo

What a blow hard – what he has gone through is nothing compared to those that have suffered because of him. He should thank his lucky stars and shut his mouth.

July 23, 2010 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |