July 23rd, 2010

Sherrod regards Obama's call as apology

(CNN) – The former Agriculture Department employee at the center of a political firestorm said Friday that President Barack Obama didn't literally say he was "sorry" when they spoke Thursday, but "by simply calling me," she believed he was apologizing.

Shirley Sherrod - forced to resign from her job based on incomplete and misleading reports about a speech she gave in March - also told CNN's "American Morning" that the department official who asked for her resignation was only a "messenger."

Sherrod said the White House had been trying to reach her since Wednesday night.

"My phone was full, couldn't take any more messages. Finally, I was on the way to the airport in an attempt to get home when I checked my messages and had received one from the White House saying the president was trying to get in touch with me and give them a call," she said. "I did that and I had the conversation with him and, you know, I feel good about that."

Full story

Filed under: President Obama • Shirley Sherrod
  1. Marty, FL

Good to hear the administration taking responsibility, including Sec. Vilsack giving a forthright & sincere apology for his direct involvement.

At least decent people are taking responsibility...
    Where are the apologies from Breibart and Fox propaganda?

July 23, 2010 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  2. Rick McDaniel

The entire affair can only be examined to determine if their was indeed, any substance to the accusations against her.

The rush to take action, was the wrong thing to do, as usual. These issues always require careful investigation, before reaching decisions.

A thorough review of her cases, should determine if she was indeed conducting her business in an equal and fair manner.

July 23, 2010 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  3. Debby

Who cares, enough about this woman already. Everyone has kissed and made up. Its time to move on.

July 23, 2010 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  4. Bob in PA

That fits Obama to a T – "The Feel Good President", right in line with ole Jimmy Carter. Destroyers of economies and wealth, but feel good doing it.

July 23, 2010 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  5. Tim in Ohio

Mother Shirley asked for an apology, and whether or not she got one, we'll never know. But as the Victim du Jour, she got the Leader of the Free world to call her and she'll call it an apology if she wants. Who is going to contradict her?

July 23, 2010 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  6. Hammerer

The new defense by politicans "taken out of context", which means they said it but wish that they had not, so forget about it or that was a long time ago.

July 23, 2010 10:57 am at 10:57 am |