July 27th, 2010

Rendell says View may not be appropriate for Obama

Barack Obama appeared on ‘The View’ in 2008, as a Democratic candidate for president.

(CNN) – President Obama is taking some flak from a fellow Democrat over his plans to appear on daytime gabfest The View later this week.

Speaking on MSNBC's Morning Joe, Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell suggested the ABC talk-show - which often directs its focus on tabloid stories and celebrity mishaps - may not be an appropriate forum for a sitting President of the United States.

"I think the president should be accessible, should answer questions that aren't pre-screened, but I think there should be a little bit of dignity to the presidency," Rendell said. (Video via Matt Lewis at Politics Daily)

Rendell, the former chairman of the Democratic National Committee, also likened The View to the Jerry Springer Show – the famed program that has long spotlighted dysfunctional family situations.

"I think there are some shows - I wouldn't put him on Jerry Springer either," said Rendell.
"It is different a little bit. But I think the President of the United States has to go on serious shows."

But Rendell, who will leave the governor's office at the end of the year, conceded The View will provide Obama with a good opportunity to go off the teleprompter – something Rendell says the president should do more often.

"If I was advising President Obama, I'd say do as much ad hoc as you can do," he said. "He doesn't have to scripted, he doesn't have to be telepromptered."

Obama will sit down with The View cohosts for a pre-taped interview Wednesday, the first sitting president to appear on a daytime talk show. The segment is scheduled to air Thursday.

Obama appeared on the program in 2008 when he was a presidential candidate and Vice President Joe Biden was a guest last April.

Filed under: Ed Rendell • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Rickster

Ya think, Ed? Obama and the democrats continue to lower the bar for the nation as a whole. But this is what you get when you elect an amateur community organizer into office. What an embarrassment Obama is.

July 27, 2010 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  2. Mr. Moderate

As a Pennsylvania resident, the Gov is the last person that should be talking about what is and is not dignified for a person in elected office. He certainly has not broght dignity to HIS office.

July 27, 2010 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  3. marvin Higgins

I heard Rendell this morning he shoud be asham of himself sounds like he is a jealous person. The pres. can go anywhere he wants to.The man is brillant he knows what he is during where do you want him to go on the idiot glen becks show.

July 27, 2010 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  4. Sharron

The View is nothing like "Jerry Springer" show.......they talk about the current issues and the News Headlines of the day or week......discuss their VIEWS.......I am so sick of all these Politicians telling this President what he should do and what he shouldn't and that is from BOTH Parties......

July 27, 2010 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  5. Pat

I agree. Who on earth is advising Obama? This is a huge mistake.

July 27, 2010 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  6. Patricio

I heard he was going to Springer after the View show. He will fit right in the those who view these shows.

July 27, 2010 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  7. Larry

What are you Rendell.....jealous?

July 27, 2010 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  8. Chloe in Chatsworth, CA

Lighten up.

July 27, 2010 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  9. ELIZABEDTH

CNN, it sounds like you are jealous that the President is not coming on your station.

July 27, 2010 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  10. Tony 140

Hey it's Mr. Hollywood. The Rock Star needs the face time on TV. What better venue could he ask for. Everyone but Elizabeth will drool all over him.

July 27, 2010 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  11. jim

Ed Rendell is right, but Obama is Obama !! Birds of a feather all flock together. I wouldn't waste my time watching this lovefest.

July 27, 2010 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  12. Alicia Morris

He blew off the Boy Scouts to do this. Very nice.

July 27, 2010 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  13. johnrj08

I disagree with Rendell. First of all, he assumes that the President's appearance in the View would be "undignified". I've NEVER seen this president look undignified. His demeanor is inherently presidential and always dignified. As for the show, it is a great way to get his message out to millions of people, especially in middle America. With all the disinformation out there about his policies, I think this is a smart choice. I won't watch it because the View just sounds like a hen house on steroids, but I still think it's a good idea.

July 27, 2010 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  14. Joe

Obama care less about people's view. He is campaigning for 2012.

July 27, 2010 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  15. Shucks

I had my reserves challenged when I heard this also, but it is a very popular forum, and especially (even though some would never admit it) a good outlet for reaching out to women. It is a pretaped interview so I'm sure it will be censored to keep Hasselback from foaming at the mouth, and Palinizing the interview.

July 27, 2010 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  16. Jeralyn

That idiot has no dignity!! What a disgrace for the President of the United States to be on a tabloid show!!! He is such a JOKE!! Well on second thought that is all he is good for...... the tabloids. BE GONE obama!!!

July 27, 2010 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  17. Sean

Rendell, the former chairman of the Democratic National Committee, also likened The View to the Jerry Springer Show– the famed program that has long spotlighted dysfunctional family situations.

LOL

Good Luck President Obama your going to need it.

July 27, 2010 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  18. Chris

He disgraces the once great office of the President of the United States more and mroe everyday.

July 27, 2010 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  19. Gaylon Barrow NOT ASHAMED for the truth!!!

I don't kn0ow why he should be worried because THE VIEW is a predominantly Democrat Show with three ladies who do nothing or see nothing wrong in what any Democrat does. Only Elisabeth Hasslebach has enough gumption to see where this ship is being driven. And that is the U. S. to a socialist, Muslim State. Of course why do I bother my comments will never be posted for CNN is also a democrat site. some of the people can say anything from four letter words to trash as long as they're trashing a Republican. Since I was a Democrat for 50 years I know one when I see one. A BIG FAT LIAR.

July 27, 2010 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  20. Anonymous

This what happens when you elect a poletition and not a leader.

July 27, 2010 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  21. floydfix69

what is dysfunctional is the goverment of Pa. and how u waste my tax dollars.

July 27, 2010 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  22. AJ

Seems like Ed Randell has never seen the View, cable news is more tabloid than they are. Obama better be ready for Hasselback

July 27, 2010 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  23. moraks

Rendell talks too much!! the view talks is a forum for millions of americans

July 27, 2010 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  24. terrible machine

that does it. i suspected it, from the larry sinclair days that the nation soon forgot about.
    but now, only queers come out on this stupid show.

i guess I was right.

July 27, 2010 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  25. Living in America

Oh wow I am sick of folks politicizing everything he does. If he went to the bathroom and chose Charmin over Cottenelle folks would have something to say. At least he can give a good interview without saying I see Russia from my house. Folks should be glad that he is on the telepromter sometimes because when he is not he will curse folks out. Just ask the GOP when they invited him to a meeting and he checked them about how they were going around the country telling lies about his healthcare. I am quite sure that John McCain would like for him to be a teleprompter as well when he said "The election is over. We are here to discuss healthcare" Ask the Supreme Court Justices would they like for him to be a teleprompter as well. Hey Rendell some of us did see the tape when you was praising Minister Louis Farrakhan.

July 27, 2010 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |