July 27th, 2010

Rendell says View may not be appropriate for Obama

Barack Obama appeared on ‘The View’ in 2008, as a Democratic candidate for president.

(CNN) – President Obama is taking some flak from a fellow Democrat over his plans to appear on daytime gabfest The View later this week.

Speaking on MSNBC's Morning Joe, Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell suggested the ABC talk-show - which often directs its focus on tabloid stories and celebrity mishaps - may not be an appropriate forum for a sitting President of the United States.

"I think the president should be accessible, should answer questions that aren't pre-screened, but I think there should be a little bit of dignity to the presidency," Rendell said. (Video via Matt Lewis at Politics Daily)

Rendell, the former chairman of the Democratic National Committee, also likened The View to the Jerry Springer Show – the famed program that has long spotlighted dysfunctional family situations.

"I think there are some shows - I wouldn't put him on Jerry Springer either," said Rendell.
"It is different a little bit. But I think the President of the United States has to go on serious shows."

But Rendell, who will leave the governor's office at the end of the year, conceded The View will provide Obama with a good opportunity to go off the teleprompter – something Rendell says the president should do more often.

"If I was advising President Obama, I'd say do as much ad hoc as you can do," he said. "He doesn't have to scripted, he doesn't have to be telepromptered."

Obama will sit down with The View cohosts for a pre-taped interview Wednesday, the first sitting president to appear on a daytime talk show. The segment is scheduled to air Thursday.

Obama appeared on the program in 2008 when he was a presidential candidate and Vice President Joe Biden was a guest last April.

Filed under: Ed Rendell • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Andrew Messenger

Everyone will speak the part they are supposed to play. All the words will be scripted before hand. I envision an appeal to help out the democrat incumbents going into the elections this November.

July 27, 2010 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  2. Michael Mallon

The President shouldn't appear on The View because it's a stupid program with a terrible format. Not because Ed Rendell, of all people, said it was a bad idea. Seriously, who the hell cares what that moron thinks?

July 27, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  3. MR AMERICA

Last week he was too serious. Now he's too loose?

I disagree, they will treat him with respect. It's no big deal.

AND IT DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT BUSH SPENT 3 YEARS OF HIS 8 YEARS ON VACATION!

I BLAME BUSH FOR THE VIEW AND EVERYTHING ELSE!

July 27, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  4. Chicago girl

If I were Obama's advisers, I would be more worried about him drowning as the liberal talk show hosts drool in his presence.

July 27, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  5. Tony

Obama isn't a leader, he's a celebrity. So it's perfectly appropriate for him to appear on The View.

July 27, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  6. victoria

I think its a wonderful idea! He will reach an audience that most likely doesn't pay attention to politics on a daily basis. Rendell, Stay-At-Home Moms vote too!

July 27, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  7. Irwin

Another charm offensive! It'll be 'friendly fire', but I don't think it'll work – and this coming from one who voted for him. He's becoming more and more Bush-lite. His handling of Sherrod made me sick; his wars too, not to mention his weak showing on 'Don't ask, Don't tell'. It's to bad it boils down to the Dems or Repubs! We need viable third (and even a fourth) party to give us REAL choice.

July 27, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  8. Justin

I totally agree. The President should not be waisting time by going on gab fest talk shows.

July 27, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  9. Jerry

Well just goes to show that older desperate women are his only fans these days, 2012 can not come soon enough.

July 27, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  10. Kevin

"...may not be an appropriate for a sitting President of the United States"

What's new?

July 27, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  11. mike

Only venue open to him where he can expect soft questions, and slobbering adulation from 4 of the 5 co-hosts... and polite disagreement form the 5th lightweight... sad... this is not a President, but a guy "playing" President...

July 27, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  12. Dean

Obama is the mistake.

July 27, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  13. scott

it beats going on fox and friends.sorry my bad i mean rethuglicans and friends

July 27, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  14. PL

On the point that there should be a little bit of dignity of the presidency, and that he should go on serious shows to answer for his policies, I agree. These are unusual times what with our economy, oil spills, wiki-leaks, major error of judgment with Sherrod's case, new reform bills, casualties in Afgan, November election.

But I also believe that the ladies are capable of coming up with intelligent questions. It's just that the perception of the regular style of the show was not geared for a presidential discussion.

As far as the end result of his appearance, he will score big with the show's regular audience, because he is charming and convincing, (if he does not do his usual in pointing fingers scolding someone, but even with that they may give him a pass) and the questions maybe light hearted ( Barbara Walter: what would you like to be remembered? ) I know, I know, I am being presumptious.

The net gain of his appearance is for the rest of America to assess.

July 27, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  15. Got-a-laugh

Would you consider W a more serious president because he never went on The View? Give me a break!

July 27, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  16. Trythefacts

He is after the woman vote . . . and he is not going to the anniversary jamboree of the Boy Scouts of America . . . what a loser Obie is and things are getting worse. He is only doing things for himself and let the good of the country be damned.

July 27, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  17. Mark

What an embarrassment for this country. No sitting President has so reduced the prestige and honor of the Presidency as Barack Hussein Obama. Rather than appear at the 100th anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America, he chooses face time with Behar and Goldberg. It is to wretch.

July 27, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  18. obama victim

wow...who would have thought we would ever see the words "dignity" and "obama" in the same story???

July 27, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  19. Anonymous

I don't know why this would be a bad idea. Anyone that watches the show knows that the ladies do talk a little about tabloidish topics, but usually it's a very adult discussion about our world. Politics to how Lindsay Lohan is a bad role model for young girls. I'm excited to watch it. I feel that a president being on a show like this will make us feel like he is on our level. Don't mistake me, he is on our level, he's just a human being.

July 27, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  20. jose

How pathetic

July 27, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  21. Mike

Its great to see the President come out and hang with the folks. The White House must seem like a Prison now. Being President is a tough job, taking the heat for "Everything" especially the mess Obama was left behind.

July 27, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  22. ronald webster

How ridiculous. While I don't watch the View it has a very large audience and perhaps will President Obama point out the amazing accomplishments his administration has accomplished against incredible opposition.

July 27, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  23. gail

Those liberal sluts will probably make Elizabeth stay home that day. GO GET THAT POS, LIZ Let him try to smile and lie his way into womens hearts.. BS

July 27, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  24. Robert

I don't know if it was a mistake for Obama to be on the view; all I know that it was a mistake for America to vote this clown in as President.

July 27, 2010 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  25. monasterymonkey

We never know how the person we elect to be president will turn out. So much of it depends on the circumstances faced once elected.

July 27, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |