July 27th, 2010

Rendell says View may not be appropriate for Obama

Barack Obama appeared on ‘The View’ in 2008, as a Democratic candidate for president.

(CNN) – President Obama is taking some flak from a fellow Democrat over his plans to appear on daytime gabfest The View later this week.

Speaking on MSNBC's Morning Joe, Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell suggested the ABC talk-show - which often directs its focus on tabloid stories and celebrity mishaps - may not be an appropriate forum for a sitting President of the United States.

"I think the president should be accessible, should answer questions that aren't pre-screened, but I think there should be a little bit of dignity to the presidency," Rendell said. (Video via Matt Lewis at Politics Daily)

Rendell, the former chairman of the Democratic National Committee, also likened The View to the Jerry Springer Show – the famed program that has long spotlighted dysfunctional family situations.

"I think there are some shows - I wouldn't put him on Jerry Springer either," said Rendell.
"It is different a little bit. But I think the President of the United States has to go on serious shows."

But Rendell, who will leave the governor's office at the end of the year, conceded The View will provide Obama with a good opportunity to go off the teleprompter – something Rendell says the president should do more often.

"If I was advising President Obama, I'd say do as much ad hoc as you can do," he said. "He doesn't have to scripted, he doesn't have to be telepromptered."

Obama will sit down with The View cohosts for a pre-taped interview Wednesday, the first sitting president to appear on a daytime talk show. The segment is scheduled to air Thursday.

Obama appeared on the program in 2008 when he was a presidential candidate and Vice President Joe Biden was a guest last April.

Filed under: Ed Rendell • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. baz987

The show is pre-taped. To me this means if anything in the show puts a bad light on the President, it will be edited out. So much for ad-hoc , spontaneous etc. The Gov't will not allow anything on the show to be shown if it makes President look bad. Politicians stll thinking most Americans are "dumb".

July 27, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  2. Tex

Gov. Rendall is absolutely right . This President should stay off this celebrity business and dignify the prominence of the office. He has availed himself like a new state senator seeking ever presence. I wished he stay off the cameras a lot and let his paid spokes person do what their paid for. He needs to have some media consultants to help him be more Presidential and dignified. He definately needs some help in diplomatic statements and what many of us expects and accept our President to inject in overseas diplomatic protocols.

July 27, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  3. BELOVED2911

Hello, All,

I personally think that this is an excellent idea for President Obama to come on "The View". He is and always will be good at connecting with people, and "The View" is a good vehicle for him to express his voice to us who watch this show.

Governor Rendell, you obviously are clueless about this show because it is far from being equated to The Jerry Springer Show because I have never, ever, NEVER, EVER seen people throw chairs or fist fight/throw punches on The View, so please, sir, with all due respect, do get your facts straight in you comparisons.

Thank you.

Beloved2911

July 27, 2010 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  4. KAZPORT

Does anyone think for one minute that Obama will be asked one question that has to do with policy?? Joy Behar will be getting tingles up her leg. Barbara Walters will shrink to nothingness when he smiles at her. It is such a perverce scene. The president should have more class and better things to do.

July 27, 2010 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  5. Minnesotan

I prefer to have an Obama on The View instead of a Bush on an aircraft carrier.

July 27, 2010 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  6. NoBama

This president still has to campaign to influence his base. He has never stopped. He is a leftist. This is a center right country and he is extreme left. The worst president ever!

July 27, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  7. Peggy Robson

I don't know how or why this guy ever got elected. The View...what a joke. C'mon now people, I have no idea where his priorities lie. I just can't even put words together to express my utter disappointment in him, what has happened to our country. He seems to be more interested in promoting his personal persona than running the country .

July 27, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  8. Faith/Jacksonville

What's wrong with the President visiting the ladies of the "View". Mr. President is a man of multiple skills as well as talent and I do believe he will give a great and dynamic interview on all subject or situations that's presented before him. Why are people so critical about President Obama being called as a guest on several TV shows. I like seeing the PRESIDENT when he's relaxed and giving people his time to express his thoughts and feeling about the welfare of this country and the concerns about all people. I JUST LOVE OUR PRESIDENT...... It's bbvious the "ladies" really like him and really respect him and wants to do a follow up interview with him; now that he is THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. Of course, we never had a President who is so charmisa, handsome, smooth and .....breathe taken :). Hope my "VIEW" of Mr. President does not offend other readers. He my guy for another "4" years = 8 yrs.

July 27, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  9. Kate

Because Obama is an idiot! All he does is campaign and we are sick of it by now. He passed a healthcare system that the majority of Americans were against, he won't send the pigs back to Mexico, he is no president to me. He is an embarrassment to this country! Now he wants to be on the view...he's a waste to even talk about. Can't wait to vote this jerk out! He has NO CLASS!

July 27, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  10. D Brown

I plan on DVR ing the episode. I love the president. I love the View. I see this as a win win situation

July 27, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  11. DBSAN

GROW-UP Rendell.
    There is nothing wrong with the President appearing on this show.
    Personally, I appreciate the opportunity to see him in a less formal setting and answering questions from the panel.

PS, have you ever WATCHED The View ? It is HARDLY the Jerry Springer Show.

July 27, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  12. Eric in Denver

Bravo the first smart thing that Obozo has done since being elected. He is appealing to his base(People with no brains that watch the view)People that watch this show are completely clueless and therefore more times than not will vote for a democrat(Ie socialist these days)

July 27, 2010 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  13. No Bama

The View is about all he is capable of. Why not do an interview with FOX? Why not? Because he is all show and no action. 2012 cannot come fast enough.

July 27, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  14. Tom from Ohio

and plus, he's BLACK!

July 27, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  15. Molly Weasley

Your headlines for this have grown repeatedly negative. Why the changes? And Ed Rendell needs to come into modern times. I don't the "The View" is less serious than some of the other drivel that passes for "important" talk shows these days, including the lame network morning shows and some of the CNN fluff.

July 27, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  16. Mike in SA

Seriously? The View? How about just wearing a sign "I'm going to talk to the most liberal, biased daytime talk show ever...with a token Conservative on the table. " This is a joke.

July 27, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  17. djw

So Gov Rendell aren' the view WOMEN classy enough for you besides they perhaps make more maoney than yoy!!!

July 27, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  18. Idon't believe this

Let him go on.............................I think it would be hilarious. True to form for him

July 27, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  19. Sniffit

"...and all because smart voters can clearly see with their own eyes, from their own daily experiences, that SOCIALISM. DOES. NOT. WORK."

And only wilfully ignorant, poorly educated, misinformed voters actually think that anything that's been done since January 2009 is actually socialism. Look it up. Read about it. Learn what it is. You're a parrot-victim of talking point diarrhea.

July 27, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  20. chris

Great move by POTUS. If you do not want to watch do not, it is a free country. I'll be setting the DVR and making popcorn. It will be refreshing to hear truths instead of lies from the "other side of the isle"

July 27, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  21. Jonathan

What does The View have in common with Jerry Springer?

July 27, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  22. Cynthia

A bunch of cackling women with an buffoon of a president. Yeah, I'll make sure to miss it as I usually do.

July 27, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  23. Charlene

I thought I was just being 'old fashioned' but I feel a
    sitting president should refrain from speaking on this
    level of journalism. I am very disappointed in President
    Obama and Vice-President Joe Biden's lack of professional
    speech. It seems they have lowered the level of dignity.
    You don't curse and use improper English when speaking.

July 27, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  24. Greg Walker

No...no...no...this is exactly what Oboo-boo needs to be doing. North Korea is threatening nuclear war, Iran too, unemployment is at 10% and we're losing the war in Afghanistan. He needs to sit down with these moronic harpie yentas and get everything back on track.

July 27, 2010 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  25. Willie B

Two words; actually FOUR...:-)

Richard Nixon / Laugh IN