July 27th, 2010

Rendell says View may not be appropriate for Obama

Barack Obama appeared on ‘The View’ in 2008, as a Democratic candidate for president.

(CNN) – President Obama is taking some flak from a fellow Democrat over his plans to appear on daytime gabfest The View later this week.

Speaking on MSNBC's Morning Joe, Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell suggested the ABC talk-show - which often directs its focus on tabloid stories and celebrity mishaps - may not be an appropriate forum for a sitting President of the United States.

"I think the president should be accessible, should answer questions that aren't pre-screened, but I think there should be a little bit of dignity to the presidency," Rendell said. (Video via Matt Lewis at Politics Daily)

Rendell, the former chairman of the Democratic National Committee, also likened The View to the Jerry Springer Show – the famed program that has long spotlighted dysfunctional family situations.

"I think there are some shows - I wouldn't put him on Jerry Springer either," said Rendell.
"It is different a little bit. But I think the President of the United States has to go on serious shows."

But Rendell, who will leave the governor's office at the end of the year, conceded The View will provide Obama with a good opportunity to go off the teleprompter – something Rendell says the president should do more often.

"If I was advising President Obama, I'd say do as much ad hoc as you can do," he said. "He doesn't have to scripted, he doesn't have to be telepromptered."

Obama will sit down with The View cohosts for a pre-taped interview Wednesday, the first sitting president to appear on a daytime talk show. The segment is scheduled to air Thursday.

Obama appeared on the program in 2008 when he was a presidential candidate and Vice President Joe Biden was a guest last April.

Filed under: Ed Rendell • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Thomas

Fully agree with the Governor.May be it is a lesson for the president for future plans.Any way the president got poor advise on this from someone at the White House

July 27, 2010 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  2. Jacob

oh that's right...because the President should NOT be accessible to the average person!

July 27, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  3. Ulinda

I see nothing undignified or wrong with the president meeting HIS people, they are all americans. Sometimes out of these CASUAL discussions can come much good. People watch the View. Don't forget his slogan was change. He is the President yes, but he is still the same man who mingled with the people during his campaign and before.Mr PRESIDENT, I am very happy that you can leave the White House sometimes to meet your people. BRAVO MONSIEUR LE PRESIDENT.

July 27, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  4. page

Rendell is right..why does Oboma want to lower the standard of the Oval Office...he is dead set to bring our country down to a LOW standard after 200 plus years...he can't stay away from the lime light ..litttle does he know people are SICK of seeing his face 24/7.

July 27, 2010 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  5. nathan

Funny coming from Ed whos as big a media "call-girl" as youll ever see. He's still ticked HIllary lost.

July 27, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  6. S. C. C.

I do not feel this is undignified. Would tell Barbara Walters
    that face to face.
    Was it undignified when Bush was massaging Merkel shoulders?

Are you part of the Michelle Bachman conspiracy to impeach
    Pres. Obama? I hope not

July 27, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  7. Ann

I would think a sitting president would have something more important to do than chit chat with the ladies from the view. I like the view but do not feel it is a place for the president.

July 27, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  8. aprincess

Your joking right? This joke of a President is making a mockery of the Presidency each and every day. If he likes the Hollywood types so much, fine, resign as President and go become an actor or something. Spends more time with them then working on fixing the country anyway.

July 27, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  9. Ann

this show is so stupid. But the audience is Obama's base. Joy Behar is the worst. What a moron.

July 27, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  10. ABM

Oh my he just can't win support with any decision he makes huh? He was elected on the platform of 'change' and 'action'. He is doing just that but has been met with such resistance it is borderline childish. He is the leader of this country and as long as he is reaching out to people, listening, and helping us we should give him our support. Bush did not listen – he just dictated to us and the world what he though was best and look where that lead us.

I think it is a good move. Most of the people who will be voting this November are either not working or will be off during the day. He has to appeal to the masses and he everyone understand what they see in the media is not all doom and gloom.

July 27, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  11. lll

I'd have to agree. This seems like a silly PR move. I'd rather he spent time working on getting the economy back on track and helping the people in the gulf who are still struggling. I appreciate him wanting to be accessible, but this is silly and undignified.

July 27, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  12. Pkm

Go for it mr obama show the world mr obama can handle these womem

July 27, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  13. jeff davis

lame. pathetic. clueless. next? "jersey shore"

July 27, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  14. Doug

Like or not, the View is a show that many women watch to get information. Ed is basically saying women don't count.

July 27, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  15. kmp

You know what there is all of this talk of the dignity of the presidency and that things such as swearing and appearing on a talk show being unclassy. Personally to me it makes me feel as though I can relate to him and he doesn't sit up there and lord over the rest of us. I think if more politicians made themselves more reachable and assesible they would find that people will support you through the darkest of times, if they feel they are getting to know the real you.

July 27, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  16. Robert

Way to get in touch with your femenin side is what I say! I'm sure Ahmadinejad and Kim Jong-il will be pleasently entertained.

July 27, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  17. JP

Since the does dysfunctional family situations why not have an episode on a dysfunctional president.

July 27, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  18. Richie P

Please. I don't care for The View, but it's not worse than going on the David Letterman show, and it's certainly no Jerry Springer.
    Fans of The View actually do vote, plus they are governed by their emotions rather than their heads, and the truth we hate to admit is that the majority of voters vote emotively (Not even to mention non-voters. Thank God they don't vote). So it's just plain smart for a President who was elected based on a "feel good" campaign and the cool factor to make an appeal to his base by going on the view.
    Disclaimer: I'm not saying that there weren't smart people voting for Obama; most smart people did, but that's only because they were smart enough to know the alternative would have been a total disaster.

July 27, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  19. Eric

Are you kidding me? It doesnt get more tabloid that politics and their sunday morning shows.

July 27, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  20. Va Resident

WOW, this does not surprise me at all. He will be speaking to an audience of LOSERS who stay home all day instead of working for a living. The people who watch these shows should be out working instead of depending on those of us who do to feed, clothe and house them. But then again, I suppose these are the same people who had thier voting rights reinstated so they could vote for this NON AMERICAN born person to be our president. Go figure. Sorry Boy Scouts, keep working hard to become good men and make it a point to make positive changes for our country when you grow up!

July 27, 2010 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  21. marcia

The man needs to be a president...just in case he forgot what he was hired to do!

July 27, 2010 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  22. First Sergeant

President Obama has been the first sitting president to accomplish many things. This is no different, as he refuses to "go into hiding".

July 27, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  23. Mike

This is a complete and utter joke. The office of the presidency has been knocked down yet another level by this decision. The only thing that could change this is if they actually let Elizabeth ask some real questions.

July 27, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  24. zoi - lakeland fl

This looks to me like an act of desparation....do not appear Mr. President, Mr. Rendell is correct.

July 27, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  25. WeThePeopleofVirginia

Interesting . . . I’ve likened Obama supporters to a Jerry Springer audience.

July 27, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |