July 27th, 2010

Rendell says View may not be appropriate for Obama

Barack Obama appeared on ‘The View’ in 2008, as a Democratic candidate for president.

(CNN) – President Obama is taking some flak from a fellow Democrat over his plans to appear on daytime gabfest The View later this week.

Speaking on MSNBC's Morning Joe, Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell suggested the ABC talk-show - which often directs its focus on tabloid stories and celebrity mishaps - may not be an appropriate forum for a sitting President of the United States.

"I think the president should be accessible, should answer questions that aren't pre-screened, but I think there should be a little bit of dignity to the presidency," Rendell said. (Video via Matt Lewis at Politics Daily)

Rendell, the former chairman of the Democratic National Committee, also likened The View to the Jerry Springer Show – the famed program that has long spotlighted dysfunctional family situations.

"I think there are some shows - I wouldn't put him on Jerry Springer either," said Rendell.
"It is different a little bit. But I think the President of the United States has to go on serious shows."

But Rendell, who will leave the governor's office at the end of the year, conceded The View will provide Obama with a good opportunity to go off the teleprompter – something Rendell says the president should do more often.

"If I was advising President Obama, I'd say do as much ad hoc as you can do," he said. "He doesn't have to scripted, he doesn't have to be telepromptered."

Obama will sit down with The View cohosts for a pre-taped interview Wednesday, the first sitting president to appear on a daytime talk show. The segment is scheduled to air Thursday.

Obama appeared on the program in 2008 when he was a presidential candidate and Vice President Joe Biden was a guest last April.

Filed under: Ed Rendell • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. EBF

Obama is and has been acting as a celebrity not the President of the USA. He has taken the word "Dignity" out of the Presidency.
    He has been on the Lederman and Leno talk shows. Now the View.
    Maybe if he spent more time at the White House trying to improve
    the ecomomy and less grandstanding, we would all be much better off.
    I have never seen a president as narcistic as Obama.

July 27, 2010 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  2. wg

I think black shoes are inapprpriate for the President maybe he should where brown. Dark color ties may be a sign of overconfidence maybe he should where light colors. Short hair makes him look to distinguished for a president maybe he should grow a fro...enuff already!

July 27, 2010 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  3. Bill

Of course it is not for him ... no teleprompter.... Wonder what Michelle thinks about it?

July 27, 2010 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  4. Susan

While I don't think The View is as crass as Jerry Springer's show, I was a bit surprised that Obama decided to make an appearance. It does seem a little bit below the dignity of a sitting President. On the other hand, this is a President who has done everything differently – and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

In any case, his appearance isn't hurting anyone (except The View's competitors) and he does kind of owe them after all the pr they gave him during the 2008 campaign. At least it isn't adding to the deficit! LOL!

July 27, 2010 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  5. Aaron

The View is watched by millions. The president's views will be telecast to millions of people who normally don't delve into the government's workings. This detractor makes about as much sense as though who were lambasting then presidential candidate Clinton for appearing on MTV.

July 27, 2010 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  6. Rob Johnson

This is one of those situations that show how Obama just can't win.

He gets criticized all the time for not being able to talk without a teleprompter or a script, and only appearing in tightly controlled settings.

Then he goes on The View, a totally unscripted environment where he is completely vulnerable, and he gets criticized for that.

Like I said, he just can't win.

July 27, 2010 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  7. Howard2, Seattle, WA

This guy is a joke. Let's see, Oil spill crisis in the Gulf, N Korea threatening Nuclear retaliation against U.S/ South Korean war games, leaked wiki-based confidential material about Afganistan, Pakistian Intelligence agency aiding terrorists, $10 Trillion deficit, No illegal immigration policies, etc, etc.

July 27, 2010 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  8. Old Folks, Tx

Guess what, Rendell, most of us don't care what you think.
    While I don't watch The View, mainly because of Elisabeth Hannitybeck,
    and certainly don't watch Springer, many people do, and you are
    judging them in a way that is not only classless, but arrogant.
    President Obama, as always, will conduct himself in a cordial and
    down to earth manner that befits his dignity and intelligence beyond
    anyone I have seen in politics lately. So, you and all the critics out
    there can learn a lesson here. That is, that we are all human beings,
    that we are all in this together, and you, sir, are out of line.

July 27, 2010 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  9. MH

Rendell is right in sayng that The View ( a gaggle of liberal ladies) is hardly a serious forum for a president. But more to the point, Obama has studiously avoided holding a press conference for months. He should be meeting with real journalists and telling them –and us–how he plans to reduce the shocking rate of joblessness.

July 27, 2010 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  10. iluvlies

Look a weasel got into the pig pen!

July 27, 2010 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  11. jeb bush

i'd say heading down south in a hostile enviroment for a vacation isn't appropriate but the prez and his family will. he won't head to crawford texas to hide on his white house in the woods and chop wood. or to wait in line like humans subjects the saudi's kept the president and cheney and condi rice waiting . for the king of saudi arabi to arrive down in crawford rolling up in luxury buses . rendell get a brain obama's keeping in touch w/ the voters and the women around the united states whom you have just insulted comparing them to jerry springer. i demnad that you apoloize asap.

July 27, 2010 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  12. John N Florida

I disagree with the Governor.
    I think the ladies of "The View" proved their journalistic 'chops' when they exposed McCain during the campaign.
    I would rather that Ms. Walters was in attendance, but I think the ladies will do a good job.
    Having older women, younger women, liberals and conservatives does this show credit. I don't often agree with Elizabeth but I respect her opinion and presence. She could have jumped to Faux when she had a chance but chose to stay and present her arguments in a diverse forum instead of being one in a 'stacked deck'.

July 27, 2010 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  13. CMG

Personally, I think that this television appearance makes no sense.

Mr President: Most people don't care about what is happening on "The View", but rather are busy looking for employment and worried about how they are going to feed their families. Let's get serious about the issues, and forget the attempts at entertaining.

July 27, 2010 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  14. Tinkers Dam

That show is full of Obamatards. He'll do well there.

July 27, 2010 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  15. all of America

Just another outlet for obama to spew out his propaganda and socialistic agenda.

July 27, 2010 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  16. BAD

Men don't cross their legs.

July 27, 2010 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  17. Enrique

I disagree with Gov. Rendell. The View is a great venue for President Obama.

July 27, 2010 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  18. Rani McBride

And what is cable news called!!!

July 27, 2010 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  19. leonard

The View or Springer, all the same, If you think that the President will not have pre-screened questioms on The View, then you been smoking too much hoochie. Not only has the White House supplied the producers with the questions but his majesty's answers as well. Another campaign stop by the Prez, with CNN doing there part in the charade.

July 27, 2010 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  20. Kthegreat

Watch Obama chicken out on his View appearance because of this. I won't be surprised if he cancels for some made-up reason. I like Obama but he needs to grow a pair and not run from criticisms and have to make a 360 every time: he fired Sherrod because he was afraid Beck would play the tape, he is planning to take a vacation to the Gulf coast a couple of weeks after his Maine vacation because his critics complained that his Maine vacation was inappropriate, now he WILL cancel his appearance on the View because Rendell says he shouldn't (guaranteed cancellation if the Repubs jump on this story). Hey Obama, while you are at it, you've never invited me to ride with you on Air Force One. CNN has my email address, contact me. Otherwise I would tell Glenn Beck about a tape on which I'm narrating a story to a white friend. There's a part of the tape on which I quote one of the characters as saying "Don't talk to me, ever again!". That might seem really racist, you know, and since I'm black, you will be in serious trouble! So, Obama, give me my Air Force One ride. And keep it under the wraps: Beck might say you are giving free rides to black people.

July 27, 2010 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  21. Mason

Its a lightweight program suited to Obama. It will be good for his ego and thats about it. Behar lovefest – woman is such a hater she makes Rush seem gentle.

July 27, 2010 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  22. Jennifer

Dear god, what's next? Interviews with the National Enquirer? Appearances on America's Got Talent? A guest spot on American Idol?

What's happened to the dignity of the office of the President? The man doesn't need to diminish the respect due the office by appearing on tabloid television, he can have our attention whenever he wants with news conferences. I don't even begrudge him going on the political talk shows on Sundays – but this is really going too far.

July 27, 2010 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  23. David

Dignity? Obama? In the same sentence? Good times.

July 27, 2010 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  24. Julie L

I disagree with Governor Rendell. The people who need to hear what he has to say (everyday people, not political pundits), need to hear it directly. The View is the type of show that everyday people watch. Comparing The View to Jerry Springer is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe he should watch the show before he comments. I think it's great that daytime television is finally putting guests with some substance and not all fluff and drama.

July 27, 2010 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  25. 4thworld

All the political calculation just seems to backfire this year. I agree with Olbermann on this one thought: Let Obama be Obama. If he wants to go on Rachel Ray, so be it. The haters are gonna hate and true supporters will be there when it matters. In the grand scheme of things who cares? The so-called "serious" shows are all bs if you ask me. More insight and knowledge of the state of politics was brought forward by Breitbart's blog then any "serious" show. The game has changed: authenticity is the new currency; the stage really doesn't matter.

July 27, 2010 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |