July 27th, 2010

Rendell says View may not be appropriate for Obama

Barack Obama appeared on ‘The View’ in 2008, as a Democratic candidate for president.

(CNN) – President Obama is taking some flak from a fellow Democrat over his plans to appear on daytime gabfest The View later this week.

Speaking on MSNBC's Morning Joe, Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell suggested the ABC talk-show - which often directs its focus on tabloid stories and celebrity mishaps - may not be an appropriate forum for a sitting President of the United States.

"I think the president should be accessible, should answer questions that aren't pre-screened, but I think there should be a little bit of dignity to the presidency," Rendell said. (Video via Matt Lewis at Politics Daily)

Rendell, the former chairman of the Democratic National Committee, also likened The View to the Jerry Springer Show – the famed program that has long spotlighted dysfunctional family situations.

"I think there are some shows - I wouldn't put him on Jerry Springer either," said Rendell.
"It is different a little bit. But I think the President of the United States has to go on serious shows."

But Rendell, who will leave the governor's office at the end of the year, conceded The View will provide Obama with a good opportunity to go off the teleprompter – something Rendell says the president should do more often.

"If I was advising President Obama, I'd say do as much ad hoc as you can do," he said. "He doesn't have to scripted, he doesn't have to be telepromptered."

Obama will sit down with The View cohosts for a pre-taped interview Wednesday, the first sitting president to appear on a daytime talk show. The segment is scheduled to air Thursday.

Obama appeared on the program in 2008 when he was a presidential candidate and Vice President Joe Biden was a guest last April.

Filed under: Ed Rendell • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Debbie

I think he should be dealing with all the problems in this country and stay off of daytime talk shows! Doesn't he have more important things to do. I think he just likes to be on T.V.

July 27, 2010 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  2. Luis Vazquez

The show the View is a JOKE and so is Obama so i see no problem. He will be in his element.

July 27, 2010 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  3. Lionhart

What's new. Someone is criticizing something Obama is doing. If he turned left he should have turned right. If he went up he should have gone up and down at the same time.

July 27, 2010 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  4. Richard

I 100% agree that our President should not be on "The View". When I first heard, I cringed at the thought that a President would sit on a talk show. It is one thing perhaps during a campaign, but what's next, Jerry Springer?

July 27, 2010 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  5. fred astaire

Female version of The Jerry Springer Show, period.
    Demeaning to the office.

July 27, 2010 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  6. Robert

Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Rendell. That show and its hosts are total fluff. Having said that, President Obama can really turn on the charm, is good speaking extemporaneously, and can perhaps shore-up his support among some women - at least those who watch junky daytime TV.

July 27, 2010 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  7. Aimee

For Rendell to liken The View to the Jerry Springer show, that tells me what Rendell thinks of strong women voicing their opinion – and having a national forum to do so. Thumbs down. I think that The View is one of the toughest stages that The President could chose to go on at this point. I applaud his decision. I know that the questions will be tough, and that they will not take it easy on him.

July 27, 2010 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  8. wake_up

Doh! Ya think???

July 27, 2010 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  9. Perkins Gey 2

rendell should wait until he sobers up before giving advice. mysoginist.
    the view is less tabloid than fox, btw, and i hate the view

July 27, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  10. lois

He has no class; he is a joke in my opinion, of course....

July 27, 2010 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  11. Hazel

I think the President can do what he damn well pleases!! So sick of people judging and questioning every single move he makes! He's the President - get over it!!

July 27, 2010 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  12. ELand

Why is this even a story? Frankly, no matter what this man does, some one will have a problem with it. I have never seen a political environment where every little thing was analyzed to this degree.

July 27, 2010 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  13. diridi

one of them Tea Party junk.....okay,

July 27, 2010 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  14. Hendrik

Rendell is an example of how the Democrats cannot maintain enough discipline not to let President Obama get slapped around for everything. That is one advantage that the Repukes have; lockstep with everything. No wonder the Dems don't last in power; they eat their own.

Shut up Rendell.

July 27, 2010 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  15. Joel

There's no big deal here, other than Republicans probably being scared that the President will either A)Look as good candid as he does scripted, B)Reach a larger audience than he normally would with a Rose Garden address, and be able to give satisfactory answers to some of that audience's questions that might be keeping them on the fence, and C)The President might look as cool as Clinton did (i.e. Clinton's MTV appearances), and as we all know, that can help in an election.

July 27, 2010 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  16. Myron Pitt

Ed Rendell's comments suggest he may not know what "The View" is.

A lot of these older political types are completely out of touch with pop culture.

"The View" is many things. But Jerry Springer?

July 27, 2010 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  17. RAG

What next? The Pope on Jersey Shore?

July 27, 2010 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  18. Pat

I agree. I don't really care for Pres. Obama, but that doesn't matter, its not Presidential and it just demonstrates the bias of the networks/media outlets. The View was not kind to McCain or others and should be just as tough on Obama. This should not be an opportunity to bash the Republicans either. Both parties are the party of no, just depends who is in charge. It is a weak excuse to always blame someone else for your own failures. But I think he has more important things to do than pander the liberal media.

July 27, 2010 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  19. Jonesey

Unlike Sarah Palin, who probably requires an earbud with a professor on the other end helping her answer basic questions, Obama is an intellectual and can excel in improvisational dialog. Unfortunately, this country is a dumb tabloid nation... so going on The View is a nice fit for appealing to the masses.

July 27, 2010 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  20. Matt in Nashville

It's not like he's going on Jerry Springer or anything. Plus, I think he's quick enough on his feet to avoid letting one of the hosts take him down a road he doesn't want to go down. I'd be worried about President Bush going on a show like that, but President Obama can handle himself just fine.

July 27, 2010 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  21. Al - Northern Virginia

Now, looking at the generational differences of Rendell and Obama, cuddled with ethnic differences, philosophical differences, not surprising that the Governor would not agree with a sitting President appearing on the view, while the President thinks it is fine. The view is hosted by women, discussing topics of interest to women. The President is surrounded by women. Women make up the majority of voters. Mmmmm, is the good Governor missing an opportunity here?

July 27, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  22. Anonymous

Our sitting President should not be going on any talk shows. It not shows he has too much time on his hands but it also demeans the office itself. What's next Jerry Springer? I voted for President Obama and I am quite dismayed at these type of theatrics.

July 27, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  23. Layla

I don't think anything he does is appropriate. He is always pandering to special interests and never uniting.

And I quit watching The View years ago.

July 27, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  24. Jane

Well, Ed, The View may not be a legitimate a news outlet and it may be "just" a house-wife's program, but Obama could surely use a little support from this crowd, too.

He's already supported by the educated, academic elite.

It is the everyday folks who could use the opportunity to relate to this president a bit more. If he can go onto The View and make a sensible argument against the likes of Hasselbeck, he'll only gain ground. And, really, what are the odds she's going to outsmart him? My guess is he"ll do well and it will benefit him.

July 27, 2010 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  25. snow

The views audience is made up of dysfunctional liberals and nobummer fits in with that crowd. Fortunately, they are in the minority and nobummer will be gone in 2012 preceded by the demorats in 2010 and alot more in 2012.

July 27, 2010 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |