July 29th, 2010

Barack 'Black Eagle' Obama

Washington (CNN) - Call it the "Dreams of My Native American Father."

Much has been said about the multi-ethnic heritage of the president but he tried to add even more to that diverse background today. At an otherwise somber signing ceremony of the Tribal Law and Order Act, a law aimed at giving Indian tribes more authority to combat crime on reservations, President Obama lightened the mood by addressing his own tribal links.

"As we celebrate today, I'm reminded of a visit I made a couple of years ago to the Crow Nation out in Montana. While I was there I was adopted into the nation by a wonderful couple, Hartford and Mary Black Eagle. So I'm Barack 'Black Eagle'." Obama said.

Amid laughs and applause, the president ended the ceremony by saying, "I can't help but think that only in America could a guy like me, named Barack Obama, adoptive son of the Crow Nation, go on to become president."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Augsbee

This is their land, let's not forget it. Not one of us truly belongs here. I would like to see the Indian tribes become more involved in their own country, there is no reason why President Obama had to give them more authority when this is their land legitimately.

July 29, 2010 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  2. Superhiro

Lol ok there Barry.

July 29, 2010 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  3. Oy Vey Az

No matter what brush or color you paint The President with, he is truly the hardest working leader we've had in a long time.

Kudos President "Black Eagle".

July 29, 2010 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  4. George of the jungle

class act. And he has been more reseptive to Native Americans than the past administration.

July 29, 2010 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  5. J.c.cosgrove

A wonderful story.

July 29, 2010 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  6. Mr President...

We love you. Keep up the good work. From a Native American Family...The Huffs.

July 29, 2010 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  7. tmart

I'm glad Democratic leadership has a sense of humor. Current Republican leadership is dull, gloomy, ultra-serious, old codgers.

July 29, 2010 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |