July 29th, 2010

Chelsea Clinton's father-in-law sorry for criminal past

Chelsea Clinton’s father-in-law said he is ‘remorseful’ for the time he spent in jail.

(CNN) – Chelsea Clinton's soon-to-be father in law is thrilled about his son's upcoming wedding and tells CBS' Inside Edition that he has repaired his relationship with his family and the Clintons after spending more than four years in jail on several convictions of fraud.

"These are two wonderful human beings that have sensitivity about life and have a warm regard for family, and that's what it's really all about," said former Iowa Rep. Ed Mezvinsky, he father of Chelsea's fiancé, Marc.

Mezvinsky, who prosecutors once called a one-man "crime wave," was convicted in 2003 on multiple counts of fraud that involved several million dollars. Mezvinsky was then imprisoned until the spring of 2008.

"I'm remorseful for what happened," Mezvinsky told Inside Edition. "It was a terrible time, and I was punished for that. And I respect that and accept responsibility for what happened, and now I'm trying to move on and am grateful I have the opportunity for that."

Mezvinsky added that his son's upcoming nuptials with the former first daughter is "a rather special occasion and I'm grateful I can be part of it."

The wedding is set for this weekend and is expected to be held in Rhinebeck, New York.

Filed under: Chelsea Clinton • Popular Posts
  1. Baby Boomer

What can I say, sins of the father. Son can't be held responsible for that. I wish them well...

July 29, 2010 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  2. Blaum

a perfect fit for the Clinton family...

July 29, 2010 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  3. T'SAH from Virginia

OK CNN – right before Chelsea's wedding you want to expose DIRT – about a member of her future family – that most likely more than 90% of the country even knew about!!! What is the purpose of this story??????????????????

No wonder Chelsea stayed out of the media's eyes and gave NO INTERVIEWS!!! She wanted her day to be SPECIAL and here comes CNN with a 'side-story' in an effort to SPOIL her day!!! WHY?

July 29, 2010 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  4. Jason

No need to be sorry. You fit right in with your new in-laws.

July 29, 2010 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  5. jpmichigan

Sins of the father have affected both parties of this union, but the children do not have to pay for their fathers mistakes. Good luck and congrats to the happy couple!

July 29, 2010 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  6. thor

It's nice to know that the families have so much in common !!! But i do wish Chelsea the best.

July 29, 2010 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  7. Get A Grip

So, I've read two articles that this wedding could cost up to $3.2 million dollars and another one said this wedding will cost $5 million. Either way, it's disgusting that anyone would spend anything close to this amount for a wedding/party when so many are doing without. But, we're talking about Democrats here. The party of... 'do as I say, not as I do'

July 29, 2010 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  8. aneanderthal

So both fathers are criminals. Just the grooms dad actually served time in jail, while the brides made millions and millions from his crimes and got away with it. Should make for an interesting family dynamic.

July 29, 2010 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  9. Jim in Florida

Hey, no worries, 4 years for fraud, he is a perfect fit for the Clinton's

July 29, 2010 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  10. Dominican mama 4 Obama

ATTENTION ALL HATERS OF ANYTHING REMOTELY DEMOCRATIC:

She's marrying the SON not the father.

Save the hate...

July 29, 2010 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  11. Angus McDugan

Why are we dragging this guys past into the topic of her wedding? What does it have to do with anything. Does everything have to be political drama?

July 29, 2010 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  12. Bob

I Wish her well..

But she is not a Bombshell, so I hope her fiancé loves her and not her inheritance..

July 29, 2010 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  13. Charlie in Maine

CNN, I expected better from you. If I wanted to read National Enquirer or Star Magazine articles i would have them bookmarked onmy computer. I want news and I used to get it from you.

July 29, 2010 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  14. New Age Independant

He'll fit right in with the Democrats!

July 29, 2010 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  15. Don

Ms. Clinton is a sweat and innocent girl; I wish her the best!

July 29, 2010 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  16. doug

Oh now we see that based upon the activities of their parents, they are a match made in heaven.

Don't worry Ed Mezvinsky, you are now in with the man who is running our country, George Soros, and you can now get away with even murder.

You support the second most evil man ever to walk this earth behind Adolf Hitler, George Soros, if you vote Democrat.

Republican this Republican that, IRRELEVANT LIB!!! You are a Soros puppet, you have sealed your fate with a Democrat vote after reading this post, you can't claim ignorance to god on judgement day now!

July 29, 2010 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  17. steve

heck he fits right in w/the clintons and fraud...they should welcome him w/open arms

July 29, 2010 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  18. SuperD

Fraud, it runs in the family.

Am I surprised? Hardly.

Wonder how Chelsea is going to look in her pantsuit wedding pantsuit?

I'm sure an international incident will happen while Hillary is away being mother of the bride.

July 29, 2010 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  19. V

Criminals marrying criminals, who would have guessed?

July 29, 2010 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  20. Fair is Fair

Chelsea, you're a good kid... and no doubt intelligent. I hope you made the right decision.

But what is it with the Clintons??? They just cant seem to help themselves associating with criminals.

July 29, 2010 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  21. Rick

I wonder if her father is remorseful for his criminal past?

July 29, 2010 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  22. Dan Holiday

Why should he be sorry. As far as I remember, Chelsea's dad has a criminal past as well...as does her mom...lol. And isn't it ironic how the liberals...who despise the rich and fight for the poor...are not making a stink about the ultra-lavish wedding. I mean they are spending more the the wedding cake than many of their admirer's make in a year. And look at the guest list. All A-lister millionaires/billionaires. How can these people even think they know how and what the common man thinks/experiences/etc? It is laughable.

July 29, 2010 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  23. Naqib

Chip off the old block.... at least he will have a lot in common with the new family.

July 29, 2010 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  24. Carl

Are we not surprised? I mean Chelsea's side of this union doesn't exactly have a skeleton-free closet.

July 29, 2010 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  25. Jack

I see no problem he should fit right in with a familiy of politicians, especially the Clintons...they can talk about how not to get caught.

July 29, 2010 09:49 am at 9:49 am |