July 29th, 2010

CNN Poll: Hispanics more optimistic than blacks over race

Washington (CNN) - Two-thirds of Hispanics indicate they've been victims of racial discrimination, but a majority say that a solution to their problems with whites will eventually be found, according to a new national poll.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Thursday indicates that 66 percent of Hispanics say they've been a victim of discrimination because of their race or ethnic background. Almost as many African-Americans said the same thing, but only 31 percent of white respondents who said they've been the victim of racial discrimination.

Full results [pdf]

Overall, 57 percent of people questioned in the poll say that racial discrimination against blacks is a serious problem, with that figure rising to eight in ten among black respondents. The poll indicates that 62 percent of the public says that racial discrimination against Hispanics is a serious problem, and among Hispanics, that rises to 78 percent.

Looking to the future, the poll suggests that Hispanics are more optimistic than African-Americans when it come to ending racial tensions.

"While most black respondents say that there will never be a solution to racial problems between blacks and whites, a majority of Hispanics say that a solution to their problems with whites will eventually be found," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

The poll's release comes as parts of an Arizona immigration law take effect Thursday, after a federal judge blocked several of its most controversial aspects. The preliminary injunction, issued Wednesday, means that, at least for now, police are prevented from questioning people's immigration status if there is reason to believe they are in the country illegally.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted July 16-21, with 1,018 adult Americans questioned by telephone, including a special sample of 308 black and 303 Hispanic respondents. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report

Filed under: CNN Polls • Polls
  1. Stephanie

It's an embarassment when a family member of color & a Christian who looks down & admit she dislike Latins. Making statements how their taking our jobs. Please let me know what jobs their taking from americans? I watched a program on CNN about illegals. Question is how many americans are willing to WORK in the fields to harvest fruits & vegetables. None, Nada, Nil !!!! The law needs to go after employers for hiring illegals & go after the drug smugglers. Some illegals are here for a better life. I came here so my daughters would be able to have an education with degrees. I thank Our LORD SAVIOR HE made this possible.

July 29, 2010 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  2. Jay_Young

There is a difference between being discriminated against and being scared. You can't go to East LA because you are scare... and maybe you get robbed because you are thought to have money. It is sad to see that so many whites are complaining about the fact that Blacks are discriminated against every single day. And when Blacks fight back, the Whites feel as they were the ones being discriminated against. Go to Africa and see how Whites are treated out there (nicely!) and go to Europe and see how Africans are treated (really bad). Blacks in America fight! That's why Whites feel that way. It doesn't hurt to admit that Blacks went through centuries of extreme hardships, unhuman treatments. That's all that need to be done with a little dose of equality and change in behaviour, then we will all feel great.

July 29, 2010 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  3. w l jones

Just face before the 1964 civil right law were past most unrich white were discriminated aganist and they move on why every body else do the same.

July 29, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  4. J STIZZLE ( Oakland , Ca. )

This is what most white Americans don't understand/believe. There IS racial profiling in America. I live in Oakland, Ca. I have lost track of all the times I have been pulled over by Oakland police while driving. The
    FIRST thing they ask me is : " Are you on parole or probation". Then , after I tell them "no" and they check , they let me leave without giving me a ticket. Thats why I know EXACTLY what hispanics are talking about in Arizona. Police DO racially profile.

July 29, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  5. Gaylon Barrow WHO IS NOT ASHAMED OF THE TRUTH.

After all their racial comments on Palin and other white people can you not help but see the polls go up with racial discrimination. I for one know that my feelings have been affected just by the unjust comments these people have made toward PALIN. SHE HAS DONE NOTHING TO THEM BUT YET THEY HAVE TRIED IN EVERY MANNER TO HUMILIATE THE WOMAN. I GUESS IT IS BECAUSE THEY SEE IN HER A GENUINE THREAT TO THEIR PRECIOUS OBAMA AND HOW MUCH SMARTED SHE IS THAN THEY.

July 29, 2010 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  6. Mahealani

Thank you, Precious for that statement: I hear my daughters talk among themselves when their in an all Blk. church their been look down with attitudes by the women. I am grateful all three attends churches of mixed congregations. As I mention, that 's the way heaven will be.

July 29, 2010 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  7. La Piovra

Historically, "Americans" have been bigoted against all sorts of groups, and public opinion has supported deportation, sterilization, culturicide, and even death by attrition against some of them (see Edwin Black's "War against the Weak" for documentation.) All these targeted groups, Native Americans apart, were willing immigrants. Black slaves alone were involuntary immigrants, and they were brought here with the idea they were supposed to be farm animals. "One drop" was enough to demote any American to subhuman status. By the reaction of many I read here, it still is. That is why our President is depictedas a monkey with a bone through his nose, and that is why any willing immigrants, however despised, have far more hope of being absorbed into the mainstream than black Americans with roots in this soil far deeper than almost all the others.

July 29, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  8. Jonny-Boy

No effort whites ever engage in will ever placate blacks. Forget it. Lost cause. Hispanics are more optimistic, I say let's work on our relations with them. At least they're open to a better race relation future. And the number one thing we can do to fix it is kill that bigoted Arizona law.

July 29, 2010 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  9. Dave

Hasn't the media learned its lesson about trying to use race issues
    to divide the country just in time for election season?

July 29, 2010 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  10. Donnatella

I think we all have been victims of discrimination in some kind of way, if I apply for a job and I have a degree and they give the job to somebody that is black without a degree because they have a certain quota to fill thats discrimination. Most spanish people I know are self-hating so that explains their view on discrimination, they discriminate against each other and anybody in their group that doesn't look white enough. Some blacks are stuck on everybody is out to get me, this kind of thinking is what holds a lot of black people back. Now we have this new generation of whites taking the same stand, everybody is out to get me, sound familiar?

July 29, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  11. HappyinVA

Hispanics do not share the same history with whites that blacks do; although they have their own history, indeed. To say that they are more optimistic is great – more power to them. The history between blacks and whites is what gives some blacks the opinion for the future that they have. Right or wrong, it is what it is. The focus should not be on repaired relationships, but instead of how to co-exist since that is all that really matters. What is interesting is that regardless of the black/white relationship, none of that will matter in 30 years when Hispanics become the majority (or sooner?...). Maybe there is a reason that they aren’t worried about a relationship with whites.

July 29, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  12. Wisconsinite - Vote NO to the GOteaP in November & 2012

CNN Moderator: Please post my comments!

I love how all the Rabid Righties post racist comments which PROVE the point of the article! I also happen to think it's HYSTERICAL when caucasions claim to be the "victims" of racism! You guys are a laugh riot! That, by the way, also holds true for men who claim to be the "victim" of sexism. Har-dee-har-har.

July 29, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  13. Edward

Why are we fighting to rid the world of racism? Do we not realize that it's something that can never be done. It will never happen, ever. Why are people so concerned with having others like them? As long as racism is not preventing you from achieving your dreams then who cares? So, someone of another race doesn't lioke me. Why would I care? Is that person's view of me that important? I have a job, I can pay my bills. Why should I care that this person who I don't know doesn't like me?

July 29, 2010 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  14. Shibumi

@ watching....So, how much cash do you need for to complete your healing process? By your statement, your age must be somewhere between100 and 200 years old, since you lived thru slavery and Jim Crow. Difference between Hispanics and liberal blacks; The liberal blacks don't want racism to go away. The money gravy train will go away also. Rep-uh-rayshuns!!! Rep-uh-rayshuns!!!!

July 29, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  15. Jeff Spangler

Don't count on it. I grew up without either brand of "diversity" and could go another 50 years without either. The core problem is that they insist on retaining their historic annoying cultural values in a country which has its own modern ones, and they refuse to even try to assimilate themselves, a process of self-ghettoization.

July 29, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  16. Bessy

@her3me24

I beg to differ with you. You have NOT been living on this planet if you say you have never seen race being a factor in discrimination. BTW-I am white.

July 29, 2010 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  17. subjected to racial discrimination

me by Hispanics

July 29, 2010 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  18. Duane St.Petersburg Florida

blacks do not want the race issues to die....they desperately need someone to blame for their failures instead working hard and over coming problems themselves like every other minority group that lives in the great USA. I'm sadden by this as black Americans have just as much potential as anyone, they just need to work hard in school, be fathers to their children, obey the laws, pick up a paint brush and/or a broom and take care of the neighborhoods in which they live. :)

July 29, 2010 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  19. Steve (the real one)

Just a quick thought! We are the color we are because our parents are the color they are. God used them to bring us here! The hatred of anyone due to color or race is the hatred of what God has done! Will we ever get over race? Only God knows! The good news is it is not everyone! The sad news is racism still exists! Even sadder, some are still using it as a crutch!

July 29, 2010 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  20. cool j

I get it discrimination and racism is the figment of black people imagination.Slavery never happened heck the holocaust too!

July 29, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  21. barbara

I have never been discrimnated against because of the color of my skin but I have lost out to men in varying jobs because of the fact that i am a female. Even today it is hard for a woman with many college degrees to get a job. The man will always get the job regardless of his education.

July 29, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  22. Kevin in Ohio

The race card again. Shame on you, CNN.

Racial discrimination has NOTHING to do with the fact that millions of Mexicans have entered this country illegally, and, once here, they simultaneously thumb their noses at our laws and expect our government to take care of them with OUR tax dollars.

July 29, 2010 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  23. Mark

Hispanics also discriminate against Blacks. Take a look at Spanish speaking countries and you will see that the white ones also are racist towards the Blacks. Hispanics are just as quilty has Whites for being racist!
    For the Whites who are crying about being discriminated against by Blacks, I say to them..get a life....Blacks have been treated badly from the day we (whites) went and stole them from their home land!!!

July 29, 2010 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  24. Black Panther's aof America

I'll say this , when a minority family moves into a neighborhood that's predominantly white , what happens ? The minority family wakes upin the morning with swastika's painted on there door or their front lawn . i'll pose another question , let's say there's a group of minorities in a room having an intelligent conversation and a white guy walks in , what is the first thing the white guys does ? Tells racial jokes ! No other race does this but whites , How is that whites are so caught up on color and then blames everyone else about being racist . I can deal with other people and look at them as people but some whites absolutely more than anyother race will bring race into a conversationa and then try to make it look like everyone else is racist.......American whites do not want to hear about thier own eVils towards other races . I'm only speaking from expierence ......where I work you have some whites and believe no other race does this but them , you have some white that will not let a black person draw their blood for a test for the simple fact of skin color .....no other race from what I observed has ever done this .........now of course CNN won't print this because as I said it before WHITES do not want to hear the truth about how racist they are !

July 29, 2010 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  25. mamacoo

gt July 29th, 2010 12:23 pm ET

oh really.. let a white person go to east st louis , gary indiana or detroit and see how there treated... how about a white east los angles or miami,,,
    ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Have you been there? I have lived in Gary, Indiana and in Detroit and as far as I know whites are treated just fine. I have, especially in Detroit, found some white people especially those from the suburbs to be extremely rude. But I'm just sayin as a person who has lived in Gary and Detroit...........

July 29, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |