July 29th, 2010

Obama has no idea who Snooki is

President Obama told the ladies of ‘The View’ that he has no idea who Snooki is.

(CNN) – Jersey Shore cast member Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi may have bashed President Obama earlier this year over a new federal tax on tanning salons, but Obama made clear Thursday he knows little about the infamous reality star.

"I've got to admit, I don't know who Snooki is. I'm sorry," Obama said on ABC's The View when asked if the pop-culture sensation should consider a run for Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska - the post Sarah Palin once held.

Though Obama says he isn't familiar with Snooki, that hasn't stopped him from making light of the Jersey Shore cast member in the past. At this year's White House Correspondents Dinner, the president joked the new ten percent tax on tanning salons had a "Jersey Shore-Up" provision.

"The following individuals shall be excluded from the indoor tanning tax within this bill – Snooki, J-WOWW, the Situation, and House Minority Leader John Boehner," Obama joked.

But Snooki herself wasn't laughing over the tax that took effect in July, saying "I don't go tanning anymore because Obama put a 10% tax on tanning," she said. "And I feel like he did that intentionally for us."

Filed under: Snooki
  1. Tom in Wisconsin

"I don't go tanning anymore because Obama put a 10% tax on tanning"

Yeah, that extra $2 is a real killer...it's like he's just intentionally trying to completely kill the American way of life. Who does he think he is to put a minimally-invasive tax on a harmful, totally unnecessary, mindless service that's utilized exclusively by those who don't know how to manage their finances?

July 29, 2010 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  2. WMesser58

Why would the President know about a no talent, Narcissistic, that's in-love with yourself snooki cause I know you wouldn't know a big word like narcissist.

It always amazes me how low people will go for entertainment.

July 29, 2010 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  3. Jason

Obama, I'm not a fan of a lot of your policies, but I now respect you a little more. :-)

July 29, 2010 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  4. Lolcat

I don't know who she is either, and for the love of Gawd don't tell me.

July 29, 2010 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  5. worriedmom

Me think the Prez may have fibbed on the View. He has used Snooki's name in other speeches and now he doesn't know her.
    Snooki you have been thrown under the bus, meet your friends, Rev. Wright, Bill Ayers, etc. etc.

July 29, 2010 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  6. Beverly - NYC

Just because he repeated a joke, probably written for him does not mean he should know who this no talent wench is. He's The President not Ryan Seacrest.

July 29, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  7. Take America Back

Uhuhuhuhuhuh.....let me be careful how I word this; I don't really care!

July 29, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  8. HappyinVA

Snooki is irrelevant, tanning is ridiculous. Next story.

July 29, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  9. Patman

The man with one of the most important jobs in the world didn't know about a reality show star. So?

July 29, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  10. Paulette

Snooki is not IMPORTANT!

July 29, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  11. jasb

Trigg , Prigg & Snooki all the way from Wasilla. hahaha

July 29, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  12. Josh

So, the president says he doesn't know who Snooki is, but earlier made jokes about her...so, is it just a joke someone wrote for him, or is he revealing a big fat lie? And if you're going to lie about something so innocuous, what else will you lie about? Is it a requirement today that all folks interested in politics must be sociopaths?

July 29, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  13. Deb n Texas

That was so funny on the View. I enjoy the entire interview.

July 29, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  14. excluded from the indoor tanning tax within this bill – Snookie and House Minority Leader John Boehner

a lot of money could be made off of the Great Orange One

I'm not sure however if it is tanning or if House Minority Leader John Boehner just paints himself orange

but if you taxed him it might help close the deficit, and Snookie too for that matter

July 29, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  15. NVa Native

Who the hell cares what a Snooki is?
    Is it some Palin wanna-bee??
    Sounds as if it's from the same shallow gene pool.

Tanning beds, booze, gambling, and cigarettes – are all bad for you ... tax the hell out of em!

July 29, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  16. George B.

So what? Pres. Obama doesn't know who I am either, but that's OK by me.

July 29, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  17. Cosmo

What's to know?

July 29, 2010 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  18. mama panda

I've got to admit...I don't know who Snooki is either. Nor do I care.

July 29, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  19. Adam in Colorado

Any President who doesn't know who Snooki is, is clearly out of touch with the American people. Impeach Obama now!

July 29, 2010 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  20. DIANA

What kind of President do we have who can't keep up on trash TV?! IMPEACH HIM NOW!
    Really, with everything going on does anybody expect him to know who this nobody is? Come on CNN, I've always enjoyed even your irrelevant news but this is ridiculous!

July 29, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |