July 30th, 2010

Gingrich: Expect Sarah Palin for President in 2012

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Thursday he expects Sarah Palin to make a presidential run in 2012.

Washington (CNN) - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, himself weighing a presidential run in 2012, said Thursday that he expects Sarah Palin to be among the Republican contenders seeking the GOP nomination.

Asked to size up the prospective field during an interview with conservative magazine Newsmax, Gingrich rattled off a list of Republicans he expects to run.

"Well there are going to be lots of Republican running: Gov. Romney clearly, Gov. Palin, Gov. Huckabee, Gov. Mitch Daniels, Gov. Haley Barbour, Gov. Tim Pawlenty. I think John Thune, the senator from South Dakota is going to get in. Ron Paul is probably going to run again. So I think it will be a lively campaign, there will be a lot of good candidates," Gingrich said.

None of the politicians mentioned by Gingrich have announced a run for President, and Gingrich himself said he will announce his decision next year.

"Calista [his wife] and I, along with our family, will make that decision in February or March," Gingrich said. "For the moment, I'm totally focused on trying to help Republicans win the biggest possible election this fall."

Asked if Palin would be a strong candidate for President, Gingrich said she has the potential to be just that.

"I think she is already a very strong personality and has the potential to be a very strong candidate," Gingrich said.

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin
  1. Dr. Noe

"Gov." Palin? Newt doesn't even know she quit. She's a quitter. Q-u-i-t-t-e-r. That's what conservatives want to run our great country–a quitter? Newt better see his MD and get on some new funny-farm meds.

July 30, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  2. Marcus

phoenix86 – Palin's two previous administration (as the Mayor of Wasilla and Governor of Alaska):
    – The finances of Wasilla were destroyed, she build a huge (and quite unnecessary) gymnasium in lands that did NOT belonged to the city, the audacity of making victims of crime (including rape) to pay for the forensic analyisis that the police needed to put the criminals behind bars... should I continue?
    – Troopergate, the Bridge to Nowhere, the unfinished term (she quitted)...

July 30, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  3. ex-repulican since McCain picked Palin

SNOW! How old are you with your ridiculous "NOBUMMER" ? IF it is people like you that follow Palin well, I rest my case. Pitiful that any American would be fooled by her. She is living proof man can live without a brain? McCain, I hate what you did to this country by introducing this person to America. You should hang your head in shame.

July 30, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  4. Lisa P

Lots of Republicans running doesn't necessarily mean any good candidates - just look at those fools running for Senate out in Colorado.

July 30, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  5. NancyLV

I like Palin but i really don't see her running at least not in 2012 if anything she will run for Senate for her state. The Dems will say she is not qualified but yet neither was Obama but that does not matter they are too only one sided he wasn't but that was OK but don't let another come in not really experienced and they will say not experienced. Go figure the hypocrosy.

Hey Libs great song by Kristin Branch "I am America" should listen.

July 30, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  6. Greg Hodges

Sarah Palin for President. It reminds me of Sigourney Weaver`s line in "Aliens"; after being adrift in space for years and finally returning to Earth, and realizing the people she was talking to were completely out to lunch. "Did I.Q.`s somehow suddenly drop while I was away?!"

July 30, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  7. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Thanks for the laundry list of Republican Imbeciles Newt!

July 30, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  8. DIANA

Please, please nominate Palin, even a Pawlenty-Palin ticket would be good. I want to see these clowns get wiped off the floor.

I agree with the comment – I wish Tim Russert were still with us, he'd have a ball with all these losers. I could just see Palin on Meet the Press with Russert. Tina Fey would also be busy too.

July 30, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  9. dodsoal

As an democrat an Obama supporter, nothing could make me happier! Run, Sarah, Run!

July 30, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  10. TTBALA

Gingrich,

I don't believe you are saying what you are saying about Sara, are you that dum and stupid to even consider a presidency for this airhaed, my god she has no brains non whatsoever, her only goal in life is to make money, well why am i surprised, of what you say and what you do, you are the one who served divorce papers to your dying wife i the hospital to marry your daughter didn't you,

July 30, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  11. Jack

Nwet,

Please, understand you are one of the reasons that this conservative left the Republican Party.

Your uncompromising, obstinate style is not what statesman are made of.

You don't know how to take responsibilty for your own actions; that is obvious by the defense in your 1st divorce.

You have; in my opinion; done more damage to this country than Nixon and the watergate affair.

You were and are a poor substitute for a leader of any conservative movement.

You do not have the strength of character, in my opinion. You are by far too ego driven for my likes or for any leadership position in the political arena.

Please go back to your books and just maybe you will learn something if you read long enough and learn how keep your mouth shut!

July 30, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  12. snow

Hey EX-REPUBLICAN. Who put the knot in your pink panties. I love most of the liberal writers on this article and really on all articles.They all seem to have a real problem with their grammar and spelling. You should have your mommies come down to the basement with your milk and cookies and have her spell check your musings.

July 30, 2010 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  13. Larry

@GDMS

Thanks for the laugh. I needed that!

July 30, 2010 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  14. JonDie

?Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, himself weighing a presidential run in 2012, said Thursday that he expects Sarah Palin to be among the Republican contenders seeking the GOP nomination."

And were this genius named Gingrich's first clues?

July 30, 2010 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  15. FRANK - LAS VEGAS

That would be great news but will the other guys let slide in a debate? This is really going to be fantastic entertainment!!!

Vote NO in NOvember to the party of NO.

July 30, 2010 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Please run this bimbo, it would make life so easy for us Dems.

July 30, 2010 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  17. Shawn-GA

So what if she runs? Mostly likely she will not make it past the primaries..

What should scare the Democrats is that there is going to be a Democrats in the primaries to challenge the sitting President. Once he/she gets through the primaries, Obama is going to have to sit and watch for over a year as he is in the White house and knows that no one wants him there... I actually feel bad for him, how embarrassing that is going to be for him and his family.

July 30, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |