August 2nd, 2010

Perry raffles lunch with Rove

Lunch with Karl Rove is one prize being raffled by Gov. Rick Perry's campaign.
Lunch with Karl Rove is one prize being raffled by Gov. Rick Perry's campaign.

Washington (CNN) -Texas Gov. Rick Perry is using social media sites, like Facebook, to round up support at the polls via a raffle that includes lunch with Karl Rove, former senior advisor to President George W. Bush.

The Perry campaign launched the raffle as part of a recruiting effort to register more voters likely to show their support for the Texas Governor at the polls during early voting, said Texans for Rick Perry press secretary Alejandro Garcia.

The effort is centered around a program called "Perry Home Headquarters" that allows Perry supporters to reach out to other like minded voters through social media.

The groups then take their online interaction to the street, gathering in small groups across the state of Texas. The first meetings took place last weekend in Austin, Midland, Galveston, Dallas, San Antonio, Arlington, Lubbock, Amarillo and El Paso.

And what's the incentive for voters to gather? Great prizes, of course.

Prizes up for grabs are prizes include having lunch with Rove, according to the Perry website.

"We're not swaying voters; this is just our way of rallying up our supporters and rewarding them for showing their support for the governor," said Garcia.

Other prizes include, to name a few: a cowboy roping lesson with Lieutenant Gov. David Dewhurst, lunch with 19-time PGA tour winner Ben Crenshaw, a shooting lesson at LaRue Tactical, a high-end rifle manufacturing facility in Leander, TX, and a 30-minute business pitch to Red McCombs, former owner of the San Antonio Spurs.

Prize winners will begin to be announced on October 16, just two days before Texas early voting begins, said Garcia.

The raffle officially launched August 1 and will run through October 18. More prizes may be added to the raffle before the October deadline, said Garcia.

Filed under: Rick Perry
  1. Victim of GOP Taliban

I wouldn't be able to hold any of my food without getting ill from sharing the same stale oxygen as Rove.

August 2, 2010 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  2. Jeff in Houston

I would not break bread with either one of these men. I was raised better than that.

August 2, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  3. Jack Wilson

I would love to ask Perry if he has heard from Troy Meeks lately !

August 2, 2010 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  4. Steve in Denver

Really? A news commentator offers himself as a raffle gift to a political candidate? Is there any other evidence needed that Faux news is an arm of the republican party, as opposed to a legitimate news organization?

You can't claim to be a news operation when you are in bed with your subjects.

And, as the architect of much of bush's policy (read "failures"), and after bringing the republican party to the brink of extinction, why would anyone want to have lunch with this turd?

August 2, 2010 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  5. Susie

Why would anyone want to have lunch with Karl Rove?!!!!!!

August 2, 2010 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  6. Ted

Wow Lunch with Rove? Is he going to treat with Happy Meals? I am getting nauseous just thinking of it. What will the conversation bee? More revisionist blather about what happened during the Bush Cheney dictatorship? Last week in the Wall St Journal, Rove was blabbering about how Obama has not spoken of victory in Afghanistan, regardless that the military and diplomatic experts feel the best we will get will be an uneasy peace. Hell, Shrub could have had a victory had he exterminated bin Laden in Tora Bora in 2001. But did Rove say anything about that huge mistake? NO. He is criticizing Obama who is trying to do the best thing he can wiht the Bush disaster in Afghanistan. Sorry, I will not accept lunch with the pillsbury doughboy.

August 2, 2010 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  7. Bette

Having lunch with Carl Rove is supposed to be something neat??? You have got to be kidding – that would kill my appetite for sure. Surely it's a joke, tell me it's a joke. Republicans are a joke, a very bad joke.

August 2, 2010 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  8. Donnatella

Everytime I look at Karl Rove I feel like I need to take a shower, he is one dirty looking little man, I would not leave small kids alone with him. EW!

August 2, 2010 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  9. ThinkAgain

I'd never waste a dime trying to win a lunch with Rove, but if I ever get a chance to speak to him, I'll tell him what an evil little man he is.

And that I hope he suffers the same fate as his mentor, Lee Atwater.

August 2, 2010 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  10. Donnatella

Eat lunch with him, how could you digest food looking at that face. I would rather have lunch with my dog than have to waste one minute of my life with this little pervert.

August 2, 2010 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  11. vet in tx

So he says that AZ's immigration law wouldn't work for TX when we have more crime at our border's than any of the other south border states combined, then he says the Gulf spill was "an act of God"........now he's selling off Karl Rove to idiots as if they were Scott Brown's daughters............Perry played ya'll just like W did when he won over Ann Richards!

August 2, 2010 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  12. republicans hate america

I would much rather eat a pig then eat with one

August 2, 2010 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  13. La Piovra

Please tell me this is a Texas joke!

August 2, 2010 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  14. jules sand-perkins

Good! Put some fun into the campaigns! I love it...and I love it when Republicans win.

August 2, 2010 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  15. lance corporal

if they really want to make some money they should move it out of texas and do a dunk rove side show, ya know where ya throw baseballs at a target and a hit puts him in the water, libtards like me would be lined up for miles to dunk one of the vilest cretins to ever foist themselves on our country, of course it would never make up for the massive harm rove and his cronies have caused the country but ya know, it would feel nice....

August 2, 2010 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  16. No Incumbents

Perry would raise more money if he said the people who DON'T donate must have lunch with Rove.

August 2, 2010 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  17. Former Republican, now an Independent

I wouldn't give 2 cents to be associated with the likes of a criminal such as Karl Rove!

August 2, 2010 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  18. Dan

Worst. Prize. Ever.

August 2, 2010 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  19. Lisa Jo

Wow! That doesn't smack of buying votes at all, does it?

Why not dispense with the "prizes" and just hand out the cash. Geesh!

August 2, 2010 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  20. Jess C

Could someone actually eat while seated across from this creep? Nothing like taking your appetite down a few notches!

August 2, 2010 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  21. Larry

If Rove, Cheney, and George W. Bush, no longer existed on this planet ... it would be a better place

August 2, 2010 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  22. Julie R.

Wow...now the GOP needs to bribe folks into voting for them? Lunch with Rove? I can't think of anything much more revolting than trying to eat food around that lying spinmeister.

August 2, 2010 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  23. carlos

have lunch with this venomous inhuman????????.....not even for free

August 2, 2010 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  24. Da Professor

If you get a chance, loosen the top of the salt shaker and hand it to Rove. There is nothing like a well-seasoned Republican! :)

August 2, 2010 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  25. Not a Faux Texan

OTHER RAFFLE PRIZES INCLUDE:
    (1) Flipping the switch on an execution scheduled in Texas two days prior to the election.
    (2) Tutoring lessons for A LUCKY Texas student who takes the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills test (TAKS) and scores zero, WHICH IS CONSIDERED A PASSING SCORE!!!
    (3) A hand gun of your choice to carry while jogging in your neighborhood.
    (4) Dinner and a round of golf with any of Gov. Perry's friends who are currently seving time in prison (date must be arranged after prisoner release, given that s/he is not executed prior to release.)
    (5) Dance lessons with Tom DeLay.
    (6) 30 day vacation guarding the Texas borders with Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma or New Mexico. (winner gets their choice)
    (7) A bone to put in your nose to let everyone know you're a Rick Perry supporter.

August 2, 2010 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |