August 3rd, 2010

Should Obama drop Biden for Clinton in 2012?

Former Virginia Gov. Douglas Wilder argues that President Obama should replace Joe Biden with Hillary Clinton on the 2012 Democratic ticket.

Washington (CNN) – Should President Obama drop Vice President Joe Biden from the 2012 Democratic ticket and instead run with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton? That's exactly what's being argued by Douglas Wilder, the former Gov. of Virginia.

"Clinton has been nothing but a team player who has earned good marks since being asked to serve as secretary of state. She has skillfully navigated the globe and been tough and commanding when the moment called for it," Wilder wrote in an op-ed published Monday in Politico.

"Clinton is better suited as the political and government partner that Obama needs," Wilder argues. "I suggest this as one who vigorously supported Obama over Clinton in 2008. In fact, I campaigned across the country and engaged in spirited debates with former colleagues. I don't regret any of that. Yet, now I think Clinton brings bounty to the political table that few can match."

Among the reasons Wilder sites in his argument to replace Biden is that the vice president is a gaffe prone liability. He also says Clinton might help Obama with key Democratic voting blocs.

But Wilder's idea was quickly shot down Tuesday by White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs.

In a statement to Gannett Newspapers, Gibbs described Biden as "an integral part of this administration."

"He is and will continue to be a trusted partner for President Obama," Gibbs said.

Filed under: 2012 • Hillary Clinton • Joe Biden • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Gary, Boone NC

He should have never picked Biden in the first place, the choice itself caused me to doubt Obama's judgment. I seriously cannot think of anything good Biden has done for this nation while he has held the number two man spot.

August 3, 2010 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  2. Jack

Hillary should challenge Obama for the nomination in 2012. She should have been President in 2008 .. I thought so then and I definiately think so now as I see Obama running this great country into the ground!

August 3, 2010 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  3. Layla

Won't make the slightest bit of difference to me. Hillary is supporting this move to Socialism, this voter is done with both of them.

I just want my country back.

August 3, 2010 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  4. Cathy

Hillary should run for president and maybe we will get someone with some ......... She should've been in the position this term!

August 3, 2010 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  5. Mark In Chicago

I also think Hillary Is Better Suited For The Number 1 or Number 2 Slot. POTUS Obama has been a GREAT presidetnt that has met much resistance. I believe him tapping Hillary will lead us into 12 more years of Democratic Leadership

August 3, 2010 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  6. Debby

Oh please nothing will help Obama not even Hillary. He has really made our country a big mess.

August 3, 2010 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  7. Denny

It may make a difference to Democrats but the overarching issue will be Obama's agenda and what it's already done and threatens to do to this great country. By then, even Obama's antibusiness policies should be overcome by the hope of different change from what he has done, so the economy has to be better. His only hope for 2012 is that he'll be a badly wounded lame duck after this Congress is laid off this November and he won't be able to cram more of his nonsense agenda down our throats.

August 3, 2010 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  8. sagebrush

Hillary can do better

August 3, 2010 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  9. Gwen

It would be a great team...Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!

August 3, 2010 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  10. Anonymous

Dude, that ticket would be off the chain! UNMATCHABLE!!!!!!! If Obama is smart (in which he actually is) but i don't know if he doesn't choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate should he seek reelection in 2012, It Will/Shall be HISTORICAL far of that beyond what Obama caused during his run.

If he runs, Mrs. Clinton should be his running mate, and THAT WILL shut and stomp out Sarah Palin nonsense talking A–. She wouldn't have a chance (Sarah Palin) but We all hope she does run, giving The Obama/Clinton ticket an unstoppable, unmatchable win.

How YOU doin?

August 3, 2010 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  11. GODZILLA1

A good idea; what a contrast Hillary would be to the wild Alaskan dingbat!

August 3, 2010 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  12. mikejpss

Me thinks the real question is :
    Who should Hillary ask to run as VP on her ticket in 2012?

August 3, 2010 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  13. Seattle Voter

As a DEMOCRAT AND A WOMAN I supported HClinton because I know she has the knowledge, the guts and wisdom to say what's in her mind AND knew the political system both foreign and domestic. She is well connected to the powerful leaders around the GLOBE. I don't know any woman in her caliber that understand the issues we are facing today-maybe Margaret Thatcher and Indira Ghandi but of course they were in a different era.

August 3, 2010 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  14. lagunalad

Works for me, got my vote.

August 3, 2010 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  15. shells

I like Joe Biden, but I think Hilary is a better fit

August 3, 2010 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  16. jona

He's desperate. THis will be even easier to defeat.

August 3, 2010 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  17. Liz the First

It'd work for me. it sure would re-excite the women in the Democratic party who were so hacked off when she lost the nomination. she works very well with Obama now. i think they'd make a great team.

August 3, 2010 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  18. George B from Ohio

I like Joe Biden, but think Hillary as a running mate would seal the deal in 2012. The only other female candidate that would guarantee an even more decisive Democratic victory would be Sarah Palin on the Republican ticket.

August 3, 2010 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  19. Jobe

Clinton should run for President. Obama was so unprepared for the Presidency or a C level position he should have never been elected. Its not that he is incompetent just over his head – no experience to assume that role.

August 3, 2010 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  20. XWngLady

C'mon CNN!! Why is this even a question? Why are you trying to plant even the IDEA in people's head? Its one thing to report on the actual news but its another thing entirely to try to create drama and generate controversy or even entertain other people's ridiculous notions in order to get a story. Stop it. It isn't journalism but rather sensationalism at its worst.

August 3, 2010 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  21. Mike S.

The fact that Democrats can discuss an Obama Clinton ticket makes the party of no ideas look even weaker with their great hopes: Gingrich and Palin.

August 3, 2010 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  22. Amy

No, the Democrats should dump Obama for Clinton in 2012.

August 3, 2010 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  23. Dennis

He'd be wise to let her have the top of the ticket. She certainly couldn't be any worse than current occupant.

August 3, 2010 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  24. Common Cents

They'd get my vote...

August 3, 2010 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  25. Pat-Indy

Dump Biden: Sure, hes been pretty useless and he'll be old by 2012. Let him step down

Add Hillary: Hell no, that'll only energize the GOP all the more to vote him out

August 3, 2010 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |