August 10th, 2010

Paul dismisses kidnapping, drug allegations

Rand Paul on Tuesday denied an accusation that he kidnapped a woman in college.
Rand Paul on Tuesday denied an accusation that he kidnapped a woman in college.

(CNN) - Kentucky Republican Senate Candidate Rand Paul rejected allegations Tuesday from an anonymous woman that during his college days he and a friend kidnapped her and attempted to force her to use marijuana.

The woman's charges came to light on Monday when published online by GQ.com. Paul was asked about the accusation during an interview with Fox News' Neil Cavuto Tuesday. Paul said, "Oh please spare us. What I say is please spare us the details. No I was never involved with kidnapping, no, I was never involved with forcibly drugging people."

The allegations were part of a larger profile for the GQ magazine by their reporter Jason Zengerle. The piece describes Paul's years as a student at Baylor University, during which the alleged incident took place.

Zengerle writes that Paul was a member of the swim team and a secret society called NoZe, comprised largely of liberal students who fought the school's administration. The article quotes a onetime female teammate of Paul's – now a clinical psychologist who asked not to be named – detailing the incident.

"He and Randy came to my house, they knocked on my door, and then they blindfolded me, tied me up, and put me in their car. They took me to their apartment and tried to force me to take bong hits. They'd been smoking pot," she said.

Upon refusing to take the hits, the woman says Paul and the other NoZe member drove her to a creek where "They told me their god was 'Aqua Buddha' and that I needed to bow down and worship him."

"They never hurt me, they never did anything wrong, but the whole thing was kind of sadistic," the woman also told GQ. "They were messing with my mind. It was some kind of joke."

"I'm not going to go back 27 years and remember everything I did in college but the thing is I really don't think that politicians should be asked to answer anonymous accusers from 27 years ago, but I will categorically deny that I ever kidnapped anyone or forced anybody to use drugs." Paul said of the claims.

When asked whether he would sue GQ, Paul said, "We haven't ruled out the possibility on it, because the thing is, we now have a 100 different media outlets, some who pretend to be real media outlets, saying I kidnapped someone. I don't even think that's the words of the woman, I think that's the title they put on the words when she said we didn't do anything to her, and we don't even know who she is.

A spokesman for Paul, Jesse Benton, told CNN, "Dr. Paul was on the Baylor Swim Team and was active in Young Conservatives of Texas."

"We'll leave National Enquirer type stories about his teenage years to the tabloids where they belong."

Paul, who now faces Democrat Jack Conway for the open Kentucky Senate seat, later left Baylor before obtaining his Bachelors degree to begin medical school at Duke. Recent polls suggest Paul leads by high single digits.

– CNN's Alexander Mooney and Jillian Harding contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2010 • Kentucky • Rand Paul
  1. GI Joe

Another nutjob denying his party days in college.

Is this REALLY what Kentucky needs? The poverty and unemployment and low education rates need this????

August 10, 2010 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  2. Larry

He rejected the allegations (never denied them)

Then he dances around kidnapping and drugging people

He is lying ... he knows it, and we all know it

Bye, Bye Rand ... your history :)

August 10, 2010 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  3. jim germann

Woman told her story anonymously. 25 yrs ago,no police report. Now, lets look at Former Vice-President Al Gore, woman, came forth,gave her name, filed a police report. CNN ingnored it. Only did anyone in the media,reluctantly report it,after the police "re-opened" a police investigation. Do you see a double standard, a bias. A 100 standard. You probably dont. Can we print al gore's accuser's statement,now also,here.

August 10, 2010 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  4. Victim of GOP Taliban

I'm sure worse things happen to spoiled rotten college kids. Sounds like typical frat boys on a "swim" team.

August 10, 2010 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  5. Peter s

I gave the guy the degree of doubts! but where was he refuting the alledged allegations? FIX NEWS ? the shelter for American Whackos! even the Chinese have rejected them in their back-yard. They don't want their citizens intoxicated with the culture of lies and psuedo!!

August 10, 2010 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  6. bennie new york

This story doesn't matter. Rand Paul already thinks workplace discrimination is OK and practices optomology without a license. Besides, even if he did force a girl to smoke pot, he'd still win the KY Senate seat.

August 10, 2010 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  7. ModSquad

Um, kidnapped and attempted force of marijuana use?!? What's next? Did they also try to force her to curse and say the word "heck"? The fiends!

August 10, 2010 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  8. Henry Miller, Libertarian

Aha! A good, old-fashioned, smear campaign!

August 10, 2010 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  9. Jeff Spangler

For a guy like this, with a father who's even flakier, forcing your teammate to take a bong hit might actually _help_ his image.

August 10, 2010 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  10. 8 Years of having a drunken driver at the wheel put America in the ditch, why would working Americans return the keys to the crowd drinking at the same bar?

"Aqua Budda"?

Did you slip a little LSD into the bong?

Real or imaginary, that ain't gonna play well among the backwoods Baptists!

August 10, 2010 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  11. Angus McDugan

Got to love how the left operates. Mislead and call names when they have no substance.

August 10, 2010 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  12. NYT:"during this election cycle big oil has paid 12.8 million in contributions, 71% to Republicans"!

Obviously, racist Rand must have been snorting the chlorine!

August 10, 2010 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  13. sickof republicanphonies

Smoking dope? Tying up some chick, and trying to get her high? Now I like the guy.

August 10, 2010 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  14. Keith in Austin

Wow....anyone question whether Jason @ G.Q. is a liberal Democrat? Stooping pretty low folks!

August 10, 2010 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  15. Jeff in Virginia

If these allegations are false, then Rand Paul needs to sue GQ for slander.

If there is no lawsuit, that's all the evidence that I need that Rand Paul is lying right now. No lawsuit means that Rand Paul did indeed do this.

You see, if Rand Paul is lying, AND he sues GQ, he is actually the one who ends up in trouble with the law.

August 10, 2010 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  16. guest123

Didn't do anything wrong?

Since when is holding someone against the will and terrorizing them not doing 'something wrong'?

August 10, 2010 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  17. Donnatella

If you ask me he acts like he is still smoking something everyday, the man is crazy, why those idiots in Kentucky think a rich boy like this can understand their pain is beyond me.

August 10, 2010 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  18. MAC

And Pigs Fly Too! If this really happened where is the proof and why not come out in public. It would be nice if we could have all our politicians have not used drugs in their youth but with the messed up generations since the 60's that will be hard since maybe 10% of Americans would qualify!

August 10, 2010 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  19. Marie MD

Sure rand. Seems that if you are seeking legal counsel and that your people are keeping their mouths shut that you might have something to hide.
    Politicians shouldn't answer what they did 27 years ago? Pray tell why not???
    If you are a sadistic idiot your constituents should know it.
    Being young, stupid and drunk is no excuse. Man up.
    Oh yes, get a haircut.

August 10, 2010 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  20. Republicans is smart in the head area

Apparently kidnapping and sadistic abuse are just harmless hazing pranks along the lines of Abu Ghraib – if you are a Republican.

August 10, 2010 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  21. b. o. stinks

HOLY CHRIST what will people do to harm others when they think it is going to help them can anyone say Al Gore. I cant stand AG but I never believed the accusations about groping some bimbo. AND I cant believe GQ is putting this out there it is becoming a real rag mag ohhhh and dont tell us her name she is in the right profession though she make seek her own therapy WHACK JOB

August 10, 2010 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  22. Steve851

Publishing anonymous comments is nothing more than a smear, not entitled to any worth, and the publishers of such nonsense are as bad as or worse than the National Enquirer

August 10, 2010 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |