August 10th, 2010

Stevens' family releases statement on plane crash

Ted Stevens was reportedly on a plane that crashed in Alaska.
Ted Stevens was reportedly on a plane that crashed in Alaska.

(CNN) - The family of former U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens offered its prayers to those on the plane that crashed in Alaska, the senator's former chief of staff said Tuesday, amid reports that Stevens was on the plane.

The chief of staff said he could not confirm that Stevens was a passenger on the plane.

The Anchorage Daily News is reporting that friends of Stevens believe he was on board. Reuters news agency says he was on board but it's unclear if he survived.

Filed under: Ted Stevens
  1. Marie MD

My best to the families.
    What is going on in AK? This is the third plane crash in a few months.

August 10, 2010 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  2. Steph

Prayers for him and his family.

August 10, 2010 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  3. Jeff in Virginia

With all due respect to the families involved-

What was Ted Stevens doing in Alaska with Sean O'Keefe?

August 10, 2010 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  4. Carrotroot

This is very sad news.

August 10, 2010 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  5. Dar

Ted was and I hope is still a good man for the state of Alaska, He spent many years working for the people and is much loved there.
    Prayers to all the families and passengers that were aboard the plane.

August 10, 2010 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  6. Fed Up

My prayers and thoughts for the family. May God be with you.

August 10, 2010 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  7. fiscal responsibility

What? When did this happen. I hope as many as possible are safe. Terrible news.

August 10, 2010 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  8. Dan

Don't care much for his politics, but I do hope he survived and my thoughts and prayers are with his family.

August 10, 2010 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  9. I Love My President

Keeping the family members of the victims in my thoughts and prayers.

August 10, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  10. Jack

No person should ever have to contend with 2 aircraft crashes, let alone one. This is his second since 1978. Nothing could be more sad. Prayers be with him.

August 10, 2010 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  11. Fay Tx

My thoughts and prayers are with the Stevens Family

August 10, 2010 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  12. Donkey Party

Oh gosh, I hope Palin wasn't on board too. Oh that would be awful, no, really.

August 10, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  13. Dar

Jeff in Virginia August 10th, 2010 12:10 pm ET

With all due respect to the families involved-

What was Ted Stevens doing in Alaska with Sean O'Keefe?

FYI, They were old fishing bud's, the area they are in has some of the best fishing in the state.

August 10, 2010 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  14. Rob

Just heard he's dead. Good! Stevens was a right-wing crook, anyway.

August 10, 2010 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  15. M-AZ

My heart goes out to the families of these passengers, but I do have a special place in my heart for Uncle Ted; Alaska was once home to me.

August 10, 2010 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  16. Thomas

How hard can it be to confirm whether a person is on a plane?

Either they are or they are not. Has anyone thought to call him on his cell phone or contact who he was going to visit in AK?

Come on, this does not call for Sherlock Holmes.

August 10, 2010 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  17. Oy Vey Az

Off to the karmic hunting lodge ? ... rest in peace Ted ... you sure gave 'em hell while you were here.

August 10, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  18. KLK

This is so sad.

August 10, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  19. Jojo

wow, all I can remember is Stevens (before he was run out of office for all his illegal activities & collusion with the oil industries and the pipeline to nowhere in Alaska) pitching an absolute public fit on camera for the media as he was leading his panel hearing of oil executives during the Bush admin. – the leading Democrat wanted the oil executives sworn in by oath – and Stevens got up and nearly fell over freaking out that the oil executives where there by his invite and would NOT be swearing an oath to tell the truth – the incident proceeded without the men being sworn in....Karma takes care of all – thank you oh beautiful universe – as you seek to maintain balance we see the beauty and wonder in all that you are and provide.

August 10, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  20. Gaylon Barrow NOT ASHAMED for the truth!!!

My prays are with the families. MAY GOD BLESS THEM AND TAKE AWAY THEIR PAIN.

August 10, 2010 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |