August 12th, 2010

Legislator resigns after 'dead Palin' comment

State Rep. Timothy Horrigan made the remarks Wednesday night in a thread discussing the Alaska plane crash that killed former Sen. Ted Stevens.

"Well a dead Palin wd be even more dangerous than a live one...she is all about her myth & if she was dead she cldn't commit any more gaffes," Horrigan wrote.

Horrigan was commenting on another post by a Democrat running for the state house, party activist Keith David Halloran, who found himself in hot water Wednesday after writing about the crash: "Just wish Sarah and Levy [sic] were on board."

After the controversy quickly gained steam Thursday, Horrigan sent a letter to the Speaker of the New Hampshire House offering his resignation.

"I apologize for thoughtless remarks I made which have brought this House into disrepute," Horrigan wrote. "I enjoyed my time in the House and I thank you personally for your support over the years."

Ryan Williams, a spokesman for the New Hampshire Republican Party, said Democrats in his state have "a widespread fixation" with Palin's death.

"Instead of discussing their failed economic policies, New Hampshire Democrats are now spending their time openly discussing Governor Sarah Palin's death," Williams said in a statement. "Rep. Horrigan's comments are sick, twisted and disgusting, and they must be immediately denounced by Governor John Lynch and Rep. Carol Shea-Porter.

Filed under: New Hampshire • Sarah Palin • Timothy Horrigan
  1. Duck Fallas

"Sick, twisted and disgusting?" What kind of sunshine unicorn marshmallow fluffy cloud life does this Doooosh live?

August 12, 2010 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  2. aunt Bea and Opie

Looks like facebook has become nothing more than a political sewer plant now that Rush and his dittoheads and clowns like this guy are on there.I think millions of people will join another site now.

August 12, 2010 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  3. ToxDoc

What an idiot. And people wonder why Democrats are at the bottom of the barrel?

August 12, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  4. ex-repulican since McCain picked Palin

As horrible and hateful as this person Sarah Palin is, I do not think anyone should wish anyone dead. I understand they were just fooling around but that was tasteless. She may be a liar, a fake, she may try to cause division in our great America, not too bright, not (definitely not) Presidential material, and definitely DELUSIONAL (along with her daughter thinking she represents the United States) but no one should wish anyone dead.
    I do however wish she would go away and never show up in the News again. And I do wish McCain would apologize for the torture we have to go thru listening to this woman. Go back to Alaska Sarah, pretty please.

August 12, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  5. Artie

So much for the party of compassion !!! What a bunch of over the top losers!

August 12, 2010 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  6. Keith in Austin

The Palin hate-mongers are similar to other those that said the terrible things about Bush during his Presidency. All Liberals of course. "The Party with sensitivity."

August 12, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  7. maripil

Sarah Palin's persona is as toxic as sulfuric acid that she has become such a polarizing figure in the world of politics.

August 12, 2010 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  8. blaqmajik

Palin's death would do more harm than good. Just like terrorist, when they die then they become martyrs for their beliefs and then people really love them. Sorry to say but I rather have Palin put her foot in her mouth then be immortalized as a hero.

August 12, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  9. jazz lady

I am no fan of Sarah Palin, but to wish for her death is not only thoughtless, it is beyond tasteless.

Come on, people – whether you're liberal or conservative, you have to admit that we're better than this.

August 12, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  10. Lori in St Pete

While his comments may have been thoughtless, he only said what so many others were thinking. At least he had enough class to offer his resignation, unlike the rethugliban who would have blamed the "librul" media.

August 12, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  11. JANUARY 20, 2013 - THE END OF AN ERROR

Somebody should give this bum thirty bucks and tell him to get a decent haircut. His photo is living proof that old hippies do not age well.

August 12, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  12. Spuddy

I feel kind of bad because upon hearing of the plane crash, that was also my first thought. Fortunately, I did not dare say it aloud. There are folks trying to do away with the 14th amendment, bash Sister Sarah aloud and you will have your 1st amendment right taken from you as well. It amazes me that the same people who are "standing up to protect the constitution" are the same ones who wish to change the parts of it they do not agree with. Horrigan spoke his mind, considering his position, he would have faired better doing as I did and keep it to himself. It is only right that he offered his resignation. Now he can say whatever he wants about the "Alaskan Hillbilly Mama Grizzly Be-otch". Yeah, I said it and NO I won't resign.

August 12, 2010 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  13. OD4

Why would someone say something like that? I am a Repulican, however, I do not wish President Obama was dead, I hope he has success. What was he thinking? Do all Democrats think like this?

August 12, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  14. ex-repulican since McCain picked Palin

An after thought, the more she is around the more people hate her and see what she really is. So transparent in the confrontation with the woman in Alaska who put up the sign (the truthful sign) about her being the worst Governor ever. Her and her daughter were in the attack mode for pete's sake. And it seemed they thought this hard working woman was beneath them when she said that she was a teacher when they exchanged such smug looks. Geez I can not stand her ways or her daughters, i use to feel sorry for the kid.

August 12, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  15. Julia

It was a stupid, insensitive comment. I'm no fan of Sarah Palin's but making such a dumb comment about her life is just idiotic. Moron.

August 12, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  16. Paul from Phoenix

Politicians from both sides need to take a step back and open their eyes. As our leaders, their partisan bickering and pathetic personalities are tearing this country apart.

August 12, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  17. jim

This is how progressives really feel about people that disageee with them.Resigning for him is like wearing a badge of courage.So sad !!!

August 12, 2010 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  18. mercutia

Yerk.
    1. This is unacceptable behavior, and though I am a democrat, a NH native, and non-fan of Palin, I am appalled.
    2. Such dialogue has no place in public service. Horrigan's resignation is the proper penance.
    3. That said, look at the difference between a Democratic response to ugly remarks, and Republican responses to equally ugly remarks (including Sharron Angle's "second amendment remedies" to "take Harry Reid out" and the Palinator's ad featuring hunting targets on democratic candidates.)

August 12, 2010 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  19. Byrd

Palin's already brain dead. We'd just like for the rest of her to make its way to the infernal regions as well.

August 12, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. RAG

Why should he resign? It's not like he was advocating her death. Quite the opposite in fact.

August 12, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  21. vicki

what is wrong with this politician have they lost their mind? Talking about someone being dead.........do they have any conscience at all? Do they have children? Grandchildren? How do they like (politician) if someone talks like that about their family? Sara Palin has kinds and a grandchild......wake up you moroon and lobster eater democrat.....this country ins i8n trouble for you all being unsuited form the jobs ........

August 12, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  22. Give me a break!

I'm glad he was forced to resign. Grow up.

August 12, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  23. Gwen

I don't wish anyone to be dead but I sure wish aliens would come and take her and her entire blasted family to a galaxy far, far away.

The sooner the better.

August 12, 2010 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  24. Republicans is smart in the head area

Awaiting the laughable outrage from teabaggers who repeatedly call for Presidents Obama's head on a platter.

August 12, 2010 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  25. Chuckster

Thats OK fatboy, you would have lost the election anyway. It was probably smart that you resigned. Too bad the rest of your arrogant party won't be smart enough to do the same. America watch for the storm coming to a poll near you. I predict Pelosi and rest of that motley crew to include our one term wonder President.

August 12, 2010 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |