August 13th, 2010

Quayle stands by 'worst president in history' critique

(CNN) - Arizona House candidate Ben Quayle on Friday stood by a statement in a new campaign ad that called President Obama "the worst president in history" but offered nothing more than Republican talking points to back the claim.

Quayle, the son of former Vice President Dan Quayle, shares his father's conservative values and is one of 10 Republicans vying for the GOP nomination in Arizona's Third House district.

"He's an ideologue from a leftist bend," Quayle told CNN's John King in an interview to air Friday on John King USA. "I think that he's trying to take control of more parts of the private sector. He's trying to make government the answer to all the problems that we face when we should be focusing more on individual responsibility."

"I stand by my comment," he said of the campaign ad.

"The future that he [President Obama] has created for my generation and other generations is pretty terrifying," the 33-year-old candidate said. "It seems like right now he's starting to destroy the American dream."

Related video: John King's political fact check

Quayle did not point to any specific policies, programs, strategies or remarks from the president that supported his comments, however.

Quayle also responded to allegations that he penned regular contributions to a now defunct website called DirtyScottsdale.com. The site has since been renamed theDirty.com, but features similar content – gossip about nightlife in cities around the country. A quick glance at the website offers an endless stream of photographs of provocatively dressed women.

The site's owner, Nik Richie, wrote in an August 9 blog post that Quayle was the person behind the alias 'Brock Landers.' Quayle has admitted to writing several blog posts for the original DirtyScottsdale website, but says he is not behind the Brock Landers posts.

"I posted a few comments on a website that doesn't even exist anymore, they were innocuous and, you know, these are the types of smear campaigns that are being pushed against me about nothing," Quayle told CNN on Friday.

Arizona's Republican primary will be held on August 24.

Filed under: 2010 • Arizona • Ben Quayle • JKUSA • John King USA
  1. Jess C

What a moron. Please don't waste our time; I just did.

August 13, 2010 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  2. Aaron

Just when you think the GOP is out of its supply of long-winded idiots, this blockhead appears and won't shut up! Too bad he isn't critiquing his father's vice-presidency, then he'd clearly see that idiots begat idiots.

August 13, 2010 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  3. Here we go again!!

This guy just doesn't know what he is talking about. I just have to wonder , "What other DEEP DARK SECRETS" he is hiding. I just have a gut feeling that there are more. I know they will eventually come out of hiding.

August 13, 2010 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  4. Dave

This guy, unlike his father, is a nut. I think President Bush holds the worse President ever spot and you can name a ton of reasons but why quibble just say how he ran the Irag War is enough.

August 13, 2010 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  5. Ken in NC

Well one thing is certain, without a doubt, Ben is Dan's son. Such a tradgic event.

August 13, 2010 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  6. timz

It's nice that little Ben is standing by his opinions. Unfortunately he's standing by them in the very place that Daddy placed him at birth: the very shallowest end of the gene pool.

August 13, 2010 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  7. debra

Ben, I am a republican and have been for 32 years. After seeing your ad where you thought you had to curse at the end of it, I would rather vote demacrtic party than vote for you.

August 13, 2010 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  8. QuayleSux

Appropriate words from the son of the stupidest vice president in history.

August 13, 2010 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  9. cabill

We should be rational about remarks such as this. We should judge Presidents in categories. I'm thinking: Qualifications, experience, vision, leadership, foreign relations, economy, disaster response, military knowledge, budget management, listening to citizens, protecting the borders, protecting American interests, promoting the American consumer, protecting American businesses, and enforcing the law.

Hmm, looks like Ben Quayle is right, Obama ranks bottom on all categories. I guess I was judging Ben by my memory of Dan Quayle.

August 13, 2010 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  10. DaveLaz

Okay. But can you spell potato?

August 13, 2010 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  11. Anonymous

No. Sorry. The Worst president in history. Come on, well all know it was Bush.

August 13, 2010 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  12. yuhman

Well Ben Quayle you sounded so much like a pussycat that i wondered. I guess if we privatized social security at the point where Big Wall Street execs have caused us this downfall, what would have happened to privatizing social security? If Wall Street regulations had remained the same, we all will have been on a downward spiral. You need to open you pussycat smell it really well.
    I know that with the Wall Street Regulation that was put in force by the Democratics will help all of us in the near future.

August 13, 2010 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  13. John Bernard

You mean to tell me that the worst VP in American history has spawned a son who could actually serve in the House? OMG, what has the world come to?

August 13, 2010 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  14. diridi

This SOB is a crazy racial thug from GOP, what do you expect out of this idiot...in 21st century....I emphasize Pres. Obama is doing excellent job. No wonder Bush was hit with shoe in Iraq, did this idiot forget????

August 13, 2010 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  15. Jeff

Quayle-isnt that the name of the worst vice president ever?? oh yeah-it's your daddy; and apples don't fall far from the tree.

August 13, 2010 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  16. Tom-Vermillion, Ohio

Just because someone gets a bunch of 'hits' on their website, does not mean that all the 'hitters' agree with that websites content. The same can be said of facebook. Myself, I like to look at the blogs, and at many sites, a person has to register in order to see the comments. Do I like that politician whose website I've visited? Chances are the answer is an emphatic NO! Might I add, there are MANY other's like me. (I often wonder what those 'deleted' comments said that warrented their deletion)

August 13, 2010 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  17. joan Stanley

The answer to your question "Why does Ben Quaye make this
    statement ? " is quite clear. Ben Quayle is the son of Dan Quayle, who was clearly and unequivocably one of the dumbest vice presidents we have ever had. "The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree."

Joan Stanley

August 13, 2010 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  18. LMC

The present and future problems we are facing in this country were brought to you by George W. Bush and the Republican Party. They got us into this mess and President Obama is trying hard to get us out. If the Republicans take over, it will the a continuation of what go us here! How many Republicans wanted the finance overhaul? How many Republicans think that health care shouldn't put people into bankruptcy?

August 13, 2010 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  19. kayla

I really feel sorry for you people. get use to it. PRESIDENT OBAMA WILL BE IN OFFICE FOR 4 MORE YRS. THE SILENT MAJORITY WILL SEE TO THAT. GOOD NIGHT.

August 13, 2010 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  20. Paul Ernest Show

First, this kid crawls out of the diaper and determines who is the worst president in history. Dan Quale or some GOP stooges must be doing some brainwashing and indoctrination. Maybe, he must have had a faint memory of the worst vice president in history, as a toddler. This is the ugly stuff that I have witnessed, characterized the GOP brand. Young men and women are constantly brainwashed to see the world from a very narrow perspective, taught to deceive, connive and extremist in their views. To them, integrity is situational, and winning is all that matters. This is not good for America, in every way. We are going to have another generation of self-centered, misguided, and non-inclusive ,"we and them" mindsets. Young kids are talking about national debt and freedoms, suddenly, because the table is turned. And soon that fades away if they are successful at deceiving the American people.

August 13, 2010 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  21. Gil

I would like to express my opinion! g. w. bush is by far the worst president and his running of the White House made me switch from republican to democrat. I now hate all repuglicans!

August 13, 2010 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  22. hobart

OK, Ben, give us your list of all the Presidents ranked from best to worst, all their stats, and your metric for your ranking. Can't do it? Why am I not surprised. You're simply another Republican idiot who is willfully ignorant, and stupid, and who compensates by spewing hate speech.

Why do Republicans so hate American that the violate the 9th Commandment with every word the speak?

August 13, 2010 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  23. Progressive from Texas

This keeps getting more ridiculous! The conservative circus train just keeps dragging out more wagons for the freak show. I'm just surprised Dan Quayle was even successful at producing a child. His son should benefit from name recognition why? He and Rand Paul present a good case for abortion-rights...

August 13, 2010 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  24. sara

He is sooo "caught in the headlights"........sorry Dan you can't buy your stupid son a "well paid government job".........funny how this people passes their money off to buy power. What in the hell is our country coming to?

August 13, 2010 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  25. aunt Bea and Opie

This boy is a smacked turnip just like his daddy.He doent know squat.

August 13, 2010 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |