August 17th, 2010

Women's group says Palin doesn't speak for them

Washington (CNN) - The Democratic women's political group EMILY's List launched a new campaign Tuesday, taking on conservative candidates endorsed by former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

"We didn't want Sarah Palin's voice to go unchallenged," EMILY's List President Stephanie Schriock said at a Washington news conference. She said the campaign, 'Sarah Doesn't Speak for Me' is a way to "call upon women and men to let their voices be heard and to reject Palin's reactionary candidates and backward-looking agenda."

Palin has endorsed candidates in gubernatorial, Senate and Congressional races around the country, calling the women candidates she backed "mama grizzlies." EMILY's List has made its own series of endorsements in races nationwide.

Schriock said the campaign was created because the candidates Palin has endorsed are "extreme" and "bad for America."

Schriock focused criticism on candidates like Republican Senate candidate Carly Fiorina, who will face Democratic incumbent Sen. Barbara Boxer in November.

Schriock said Fiorina laid off tens of thousands of people as a "failed" corporate CEO. "The choice in California could not be clearer. The choice between a job killer and an EMILY's List hero, Barbara Boxer," said Schriock.

In May, Palin addressed the conservative women's group Susan B. Anthony's List. Countering the EMILY's List event, the group drove its bus with the message "Abortion is Not Health Care" around the block where the news conference was held.

Susan B. Anthony List President Marjorie Dannenfelser said, "EMILY's List's campaign is what "repels women from being a part of the traditional women's movement."

"Palin is used as a punching bag", she said, "Other women who run for political office know this can happen to them too," said Dannenfelser.

"No one is attracted to that approach to politics. That's why there is a hunger for authenticity in politics. Palin has an inclusive approach to politics," Dannenfelser said.

Filed under: 2010 • Sarah Palin
  1. Sniffit

I'm not sure who Jabberwocky Barbie speaks for...it's only rarely that you can underrstand the words coming out of her ever-yapping mouth.

August 17, 2010 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. Peter s

Why can't you just let her keep on endorsing them? the more she endorses the more they loose!! just leave her alone and let the nature takes its course!

August 17, 2010 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  3. Dem woman in Tx

I signed – every time this moron speaks she sets the womens movement BACK. Sarah does not speak for me! If I could move to a blue state I would – the neo-cons are out of control!

August 17, 2010 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  4. Rickster

"let their voices be heard and to reject Palin's reactionary candidates and backward-looking agenda."

lol....yeah, as opposed to the bang-up job that Obama and the democrats are doing.

August 17, 2010 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  5. AnProf

Emily's List is increasingly disconnected from real women. The feminist movement has been hijacked by abortion extremists who do not speak for most women in the country.
    The Susan B. Anthony List is to be commended for empowering real women's issues and candidates.

August 17, 2010 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  6. Bill, Bloomington Il

Still, the party of no is a better choice than the party of hate.

August 17, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  7. Kathleen

"inclusive approach"? Really? Sarah Palin? I want some of what Dannenfelser is smoking!

August 17, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  8. Anne P

Palin speaks for those who thrive on cutsey-folksy sound bites designed to elicit fear and emotion; no substance or solutions. She's empty-headed and extremely ignorant. Women with an education who can think for themselves don't typically get sucked into such nonsensical rhetoric. Sadly, many others do.

August 17, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  9. Jimbo (The Real One)

You have to admire Palin's ability to turn misinformation and fear into her ever growing bank account. As long as the conservatives, wing nuts and birthers continue to buy her books, pay to hear her speak and line up to pay $10,000 to be photographed with her there is no reason for her to seek public office again. You go girl...!

August 17, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  10. LacrosseMom(the real one)

LOVE Emily's LIst! "Disconnected from real women"??????????????

Palin does not speak for me.

August 17, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  11. CathyInAZ

AGREE – Sarah DEOS NOT SPEAK FOR ME! She needs to stay in Alaska and I BLAME JOHN McCAIN FOR THIS IDIOT!

August 17, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  12. LacrosseMom(the real one)

@ Keith in Austin: Sure Keith, we, Americans are going to put the Party of NO into power?! We are going to reward the GOP-haters with power? After they ran America into the ditch?

Keep dreaming, buddy!

August 17, 2010 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  13. FAUX NEWS is FIXED NEWS

Sarah Palin speaks ONLY for imbeciles and mentally retarded....and ofcourse the CNN writers that gets their panty-diapers all tied up in a knot anytime this moronic woman spews her hate-filled and vile gibberish!!!!

August 17, 2010 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  14. Jarod Thompson

So much for the president of NAGs (National Assoc of Grizzlies....)....

August 17, 2010 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  15. Bill

Of course they would want to challenge her.... they are a national organization dedicated to the electing of pro-choice Democratic woment to office... But an entire group to take on a single person????

August 17, 2010 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. Lori in St Pete

She doesn't speak for me either, or my daughters, mom, sister, mother in law, or sister in law. In fact, she doesn't speak for ANY of the women I know.

August 17, 2010 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  17. Peggy

I guess Sarah Palin doesn't realize that liberal women can be just as ferocious as her so-called "mama grizzlies." What a nitwit.

August 17, 2010 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  18. Eric

Emily's list?

Really?

These grizzled old liberal harpies make the burlap-wearing, non-leg-shavers at NAG (National Association of Gals) look downright relevant.

August 17, 2010 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  19. Paul H

That's right most women's groups on the left would say Sarah Palin doesn't s speak for them, as most of these groups are on the left. But she does speak for a large number of women in this country not affiliated with any of these groups.
    Most of these groups don't speak for the average women in this country.

August 17, 2010 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  20. Julie L

I'm in my 20's and I can definitely say that Palin does not speak for me!I do not think she is a good role model, plus listening to her is very irritating. Her sentences are a mess and I've never heard anything constructive from her; only criticism. I don't align with most anything GOP and neither do most of my peers.

August 17, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  21. B

Palin speaks only for herself because she is a self serving, arrogant
    fool like John McCain.

Can you just imagine – those Two – running this country now??

We certainly would have had a total collapse of the economy and a third War started in Iran....

August 17, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  22. E. Coli-Tainted Palin Word Salad Consumed By Media

I thought you had to be a woman to speak for women. Whatever lifeform Palin is and whatever "language" she speaks is still one of life's great mysteries.

August 17, 2010 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  23. Oy Vey Az

I am a dizzy ditz who loves to stir people stupid folks into a little tornado of confusion .... Sarah Palin speaks for ME!.

I am a beaten down old gal who has to follow her crazy tea-baged old man or else ... Sarah Palin speaks for him.

I am a Rethuglican extremist who loves to savage anyone for disagreeing with me ... Sarah Palin speaks for us.

So who actually speaks for me? For sure it's not Sarah Palin.

PaTuy

August 17, 2010 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  24. Brett from Oriskany,VA

Please don't slander wonderful grizzly bears by associating them with this idiot. She has already slandered pigs and pit bulls(with lipstick) barracudas and caribous. Come on PETA jump on this abuser of animal dignities.

August 17, 2010 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  25. Julie L

Love the comments from men on here, as if they have any clue about women's issues. If men got pregnant, I think their outlook my change a bit. Would they like to give birth to the spawn of a rapist, for example? Keep religious beliefs out of politics; just sayin'.

August 17, 2010 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |