August 17th, 2010

Women's group says Palin doesn't speak for them

Washington (CNN) - The Democratic women's political group EMILY's List launched a new campaign Tuesday, taking on conservative candidates endorsed by former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

"We didn't want Sarah Palin's voice to go unchallenged," EMILY's List President Stephanie Schriock said at a Washington news conference. She said the campaign, 'Sarah Doesn't Speak for Me' is a way to "call upon women and men to let their voices be heard and to reject Palin's reactionary candidates and backward-looking agenda."

Palin has endorsed candidates in gubernatorial, Senate and Congressional races around the country, calling the women candidates she backed "mama grizzlies." EMILY's List has made its own series of endorsements in races nationwide.

Schriock said the campaign was created because the candidates Palin has endorsed are "extreme" and "bad for America."

Schriock focused criticism on candidates like Republican Senate candidate Carly Fiorina, who will face Democratic incumbent Sen. Barbara Boxer in November.

Schriock said Fiorina laid off tens of thousands of people as a "failed" corporate CEO. "The choice in California could not be clearer. The choice between a job killer and an EMILY's List hero, Barbara Boxer," said Schriock.

In May, Palin addressed the conservative women's group Susan B. Anthony's List. Countering the EMILY's List event, the group drove its bus with the message "Abortion is Not Health Care" around the block where the news conference was held.

Susan B. Anthony List President Marjorie Dannenfelser said, "EMILY's List's campaign is what "repels women from being a part of the traditional women's movement."

"Palin is used as a punching bag", she said, "Other women who run for political office know this can happen to them too," said Dannenfelser.

"No one is attracted to that approach to politics. That's why there is a hunger for authenticity in politics. Palin has an inclusive approach to politics," Dannenfelser said.

Filed under: 2010 • Sarah Palin
  1. Jon Better

'Bill, Bloomington Il August 17th, 2010 4:58 pm ET

Still, the party of no is a better choice than the party of hate."

Their are the SAME party, dimwit. Ever since I tuned into American politics 2 years ago I was astounded by the hatred coming from McCain and Palin. And it's still going strong in the Conservative wing. It's disgusting.

August 17, 2010 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  2. Nelson

I know they are trying to hurt her feelings but I think Palin is too busy adding zeros to her bank account to give a rip.

August 17, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  3. GUYinVA

I don't think Governor Palin is going to be terribly concerned about not getting the endorsement of a group that views the killing of unborn children with no more concern than having a wart removed.

August 17, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  4. Duck Fallas

Grizzly- big, hairy, smelly, nasty beast covered in its own feces.

August 17, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  5. Women in NC

I'm in my 60's, Palin does not speak for me, my daughter, sisters, friends or any women I know either.

August 17, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  6. charlieblue

Obviously she does not even speak for her own family. She is just another "celebrity tramp", opportunist of the worse kind. stay home and teach your children some real values.

August 17, 2010 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  7. Mike

Sara is definitely doesn't know what she's talking about. She likes to "stir the pot" with her trivial dumb-ass talks and endorsements. If she was to drop off the face of the earth, she wouldn't be missed. She is only in it for the $$$$ and nothing else. I don't see how a dumb twit like her can be in the spot-light this long. I guess it's because her and her back-wards friends are enjoying the ride. I just hope it's a short ride with a dead-end.

August 17, 2010 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  8. Just signed up!

Absolutely SP does not speak for me! Just reading this made me go to Emily's list, sign the pledge and contribute and I never do this!

August 17, 2010 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  9. Lori in St Pete

jay1975, you don't speak for any woman. I'm pro-choice and I have children AND a grandchild! I kept a plateful of "amnesty" condoms in the upstairs bathroom when my children were teens and told them the only thing I wanted less than the details of their sex lives was grandchildren before they were ready to be responsible for them. As a result, they never had to deal with any negative consequences, and now they're healthy young adults choosing to start families.

August 17, 2010 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  10. Roscoe

Sarah speaks for trailer trash everywhere. Follow her advice and you, too, can be a 19 year old woman with kids and little education.

August 17, 2010 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  11. Lori in St Pete

What position is that Sylvia? That they state dim bulb barbie doesn't speak for them, or that they're pro-choice? It it's the latter, perhaps you should have researched EMILY'S List a little bit prior to joining. It it's the former, you never never fit in with the group to begin with.

August 17, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  12. Pat

...duh.....she doesn't even speak for humans.......

August 17, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  13. Tom-Vermillion Ohio

Hmmg...Palin's support base appears to be suffering shrinkage.

August 17, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  14. Drew, FL

Sarah Palin can speak?

August 17, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  15. Ancient Texan

Did Ms. Schriock say something about "extreme and bad for America" candidates? Sounds just like the Liberal Progressive extremeist candidates to me.

August 17, 2010 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  16. Naqib

Dem Womans Group... lol

Oh... my side hurts... like the Pink People... oh... I think I agree they are nothing like Sarah... they win that one..

August 17, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  17. GODZILLA1

Remember now, she REALLY is the "wild Alaskan dingbat"!

August 17, 2010 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  18. Veteran

Democrat women need to be concerned! They don't have looks, brains, pizazz or answers !

August 17, 2010 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  19. The unsub

The oil is burning out of the lamp.

August 17, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  20. Take America Back: from Texas

With a name like "Sarah doesn't speak for me"......speaks more for the populartiy and strength of Sarah than any type of negative opposition!
    Just to prove my point........
    Have you ever heard of a group called "Pelosi doesn't speak for me" or "Reid" or "Maxine"......need I say more?

Go Sarah Go!

I'm just saying........

August 17, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  21. Liberals are poison

Well the women of Emily's List, NOW, Code Pink ALL kind of look like grizzlies, armpit hair and hairy legs. Compare very attractive conservative women to fugly liberal hags and you can tell why they are so miserably menapaustic.

August 17, 2010 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  22. Vic of New York

Why is it that the political right is always crying "foul" , it seems as though these nut cases that align with Dannenfelser and Palin also have a "victim complex"

Sorry Ms Dannenfelser, Sarah Palin REALLY is an Idiot!!!

August 17, 2010 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  23. JonDie

Sarah Palin, the most vain, most ignorant and most illiterate person on the planet, speaks for all ignorant and illiterate women everywhere.

August 17, 2010 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  24. Justen in Florida

"The Democratic women's political group "

is saying Palin doesn't speak for them, wow, really? Who would've guessed.

August 17, 2010 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  25. new to politics

Can any of the pro Sarah Palin people out there give me 1 good reason why they would follow a quitter.

August 17, 2010 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |