August 19th, 2010

2012 Watch: Santorum being "pulled along" to 2012 race

Rick Santorum moved one tiny step closer to declaring himself a 2012 candidate on Wednesday.

Washington (CNN) – Rick Santorum, the former Pennsylvania senator, moved one tiny step closer to declaring himself a 2012 candidate on Wednesday, saying he feels as if he is "being pulled along" into the race.

"I sort of feel in some respects I'm being pulled along in this," Santorum told the Des Moines Register on Wednesday. "I'm still seriously going through this process. And at this point I'm very encouraged by everything that's happening."

In July, Santorum met privately with several of his former Capitol Hill staffers to pitch the idea of a presidential bid in 2012, something the Republican is now talking openly about.

"There seems to be support on the ground at least to consider this," Santorum told the Des Moines Register. "The response has been surprisingly positive."

If and when Santorum makes his candidacy official, he will start as a decided underdog if better funded candidates like Gov. Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and former Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts enter the race.

Filed under: 2012 • Rick Santorum
  1. chester drawers

Egomaniac. Maybe as president he'll find those WMDs.

August 19, 2010 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  2. Gerry from Cincinnati

God help us. Just another so-called Christian hypocrite!

August 19, 2010 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  3. Fred Pittenger

Is that not just about the percentage of Americans that only listen to FOX. Brainwashing is brainwashing, no matter what wolf is howling, or bleating, as the case may be;.l

August 19, 2010 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  4. Tea Party hangover

Rick is O.K., but we what we really want is Ron Paul

August 19, 2010 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  5. Klaxon McFlinderginder

The right-wing presidential hopefuls all have less charisma than a can of worms.

Ooops. Sorry. That's an insult to worms everywhere. I retract my remark.

August 19, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. Henry Miller, Libertarian

Rick Santorum frustratingly stereotypical neo-con, forever willing to impose his self-proclaimed pseudo-morality on everyone.

The neo-cons frustrate me a lot. They have almost no regard for individual freedom, forever telling people how they ought to live their lives and perfectly prepared to impose their narrow-minded opinions, by force of law, on those who disagree with them. On the other hand, they at least say they want to rein in the fiscal insanity of the Democrats, though history says that, unless they've learned something over the last couple of years, they're probably lying when they say it.

August 19, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  7. Chris from San Antonio

Soundly defeated by a 2-to-1 margin the last election. Yep, the GOP has a cash crop to choose from in 2012.

August 19, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  8. Michael in Houston

Wow Senator...dont know what sort of garbage your people are feeding you or what voices your hearing but trust me, there is a reason you lost your Senate seat and anything that tells you your Presidential material or there is any interest in you whatsoever to run soley resides between your ears.

August 19, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  9. Corporate Dog

NOBODY should pull along santorum.

It makes a horrible mess on the floor.

August 19, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  10. doug

I'm just not sure that any Republican is going to beat Hillary Clinton in 2012, sadly I'm not sure if one should.

August 19, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  11. cjr

rick has sever eemotional problems – he's be pulled along by s toy train – he just looking for $ not serious -

August 19, 2010 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  12. Von Bismark-Vienna

For one thing let Americans not forget that the fiery retheorics of the GOP has lost meaning to most people except the fring elements in this click of a party.It should come as no surprise to anyone that the Dems will maintain their majority if not increase it.This is what trhe McCain campaign did in 2008 and left the field to Obama ground soldiers and the resuölt was evident.THAT is just what is happening now.
    If this guy thinks the teaparty has done enough damage to Obama then he is living in a dream world.Even in the next two decades there will be no home-run for the Repubs!

August 19, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  13. Bob of Lompoc

Left Wing Nut Democrat Here: Perfect One Two Punch Against The Dems: Santorum for President and Huckabee for Vice President. Please God, make it happen.

August 19, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  14. Jim

Why does he think that he can win the presidency when he was trounced in his bid for reelection to the senate?

August 19, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  15. sandy

Oh great, another Republican who thinks he shoukld be President. Not his one.

August 19, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  16. Independent

Good Grief, no on my watch for him....

August 19, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  17. TTBALA

RICK

You lost big time and couldn't be re-elected as a senator, now you think you can become president, ha ha give it up man you are finished.

August 19, 2010 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  18. Sniffit

Translation: "I'm Rick Santorum [say it like "I'm Brian Fellows"] and I'm such a freak show fundamentalist nutjob that I'm starting to believe my own BS and consider myself to be a reluctant Chosen One slowly catapulting towards the presidency."

August 19, 2010 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  19. ED FL

Google Santorum if you want to read about the real Santorum. No wonder he is a membere of the GOP. Plenty of food for thought as to what GOP stands for.

August 19, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  20. Tom-Vermillion Ohio

I read where Santorum is also contributor on the Fox News Channel. That alone should be a warning sign to the reasonable, rationally minded majority of Americans. Lots of good stuff to read all about him, all that one has to do is follow the 'link' trail. He speaks one thing, but appears to have a different agenda and I gotta say, its not for the good of main street. I must concede that I am extremely wary of ANYONE who touts themselves a 'true conservative'. True conservatives, in my opinion are NOT TO BE TRUSTED in any higher office of the land. Fiscally responsible is OKAY, fiscally conservative is NOT OKAY. Red flag and sirens go off in my head when I hear someone tout that they are a 'true conservative'. They give me the impression that they consider themselves the 'master race' and the rest of us are just crap that needs to be disposed of.

August 19, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  21. Haren

Problem with all journalist is they don't ask right question or follow up with question.
    Matt lauer did same thing with Rudy Giuliani.
    he should have ask him about republicans voting against 9/11 first responders health care issue.
    we like to know where he stand on that.

August 19, 2010 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  22. Greg, San Francisco, CA

"Pulled along" You mean you're actually going to go with "the people want me to run" as your rationale? You "pulled along" an entire 1% of support among Iowa Republicans in a recent straw poll. Still as you are an absolutely unelected right wing ideologue, I pledge to do anything I can do to assist you in gaining the Republican nomination adn ensuring President Obama's re-election.

August 19, 2010 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  23. Minnesotan

I always think of Dan Savage's re-definition of Santorum: "A frothy mix....." LOL! That pretty much sums up the stature of Mr. Santorum.... hee hee!

August 19, 2010 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  24. Patrick

Oh God No.........Vice President Santorum.............would be as bad as Dan Quayle................he needs to stay in Pennsylvania and get a real job.

August 19, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |